It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: pharmacy AND doctor rant
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is my wonderful story that I just had to share....

On the 1st of July, after 6 months of planning, I was going to the coast for a week long vacation with my father and his GF, who wanted to take the grandkids but needed another adult to help. Was just so excited. Well to start things off, I got my postcard from my Sub doctor in the mail reminding me to make my 3 month follow-up appointment, which I got early last month, so I called to find out that my doctor was gone for a month....Okay I thought, it was summer and maybe he made plans with his family for vacation also, can't complain, so they had my talk to a nurse about having her call in enough Subs to last me til I see him, well they wanted me to come in on a day that I was planning on being gone for vacation, I had to argue with them, and the nurse refused to give me enough pills to last me til I got back, only enough to last til the doctor got back, which wasn't fair for me, it was just a few day diffrence.

Well I did manage to skip a few doses here and there to make them last til I got back from my vacation. But since I get SSI, and luckly having a close family member who is the superviser at the local post office, they had planned for me to get my check early in the morning (I dont receive my normal mail til around 3pm and we wanted to leave for the coast around 10am). Well I got my check and cashed it, went and paid my rent and utilities, and planned on swingging by the pharmacy to get the rest of my Suboxones (since I pay out of pocket, thats why I waited til last minute to pick them up), and there was suppose to be 10 suboxones left of my RX to pick up, I paid for all 10 pills.

Well when we get to the first camp ground (we had plans on spending one night in the mountains, then leave the next morning to the coast) and I pull out the pills from the pharmacy bag and realize that there was only 2 pills inside the bottle!!!! I freaked out, started crying. Cant turn around. No cell phone service up here. Pay phone only takes calling cards for long distance (who has phone cards these days?? we all have cell phones lol). My dad keeps reminding me that we will stop somewhere and find a pharmacy in the morning (the same one as mine hopefully, since I use a national chain pharmacy).

When we finally find road with phone service, I call my local pharmacy and tell them about the problem, they admit of shorting me, but I tell them I'm out of town, what can I do?? First the lady on the phone says no, they can't do anything, but then changes her mind and says "maybe". So I find a pharmacy and tell them about the problem, she says they can't do anything cause they don't have a label?!? So I call my doctor's office, and the nurse acts all suspicious of me. I ask her if they can call in another prescription for those missing pills, then on my appointment, I'll bring in the pills that my local pharmacy owes me...well she very rudely says no, but now she's going to have to investigate me?!? So I call back my local pharmacy, this time I talk to someone else, and she says that YES, the other pharmacy can give me those pills they shorted me since they're the same pharmacy chain, and she calls them up and tells the pharamcist how to fix this.

I finally get my Suboxones, all excited, but learned my lesson about checking the bottle before leaving, so I quickly look at the bottle and noticed that the Subs have shrunk, they gave me the 2/0.5mgs instead of my 8/2mgs. So I go back and tell him, he says that my pharmacy said the 2mgs, but I tell him to look on the bottle (plus their's no reason why he can't look it up on his computer, I know my information is in ALL of this chain pharmacy computers cause I've gotten refills on meds out of state in the past and they found my info...so he changes the subs....

Well we ended up coming home a few days early, as my father's mother died (my grandmother), so when we get home, I call my doctors office to let them know I came home early and can come in when they wanted me to, well now they're saying that he's decided to take longer off, and rescheadule me for a later date....I feel like he's disappeared.

I've had other doctors suddenly disappear like this, where the people up front will say they took medical leave, then the doctor never comes back, actually I've had this done 3 times in my past with diffrent doctors, so now I'm freaking out that I'm gonna lose this doctor. I live in an area where their's hardly any Suboxone certified doctors, the closes one is the one I see, and he's an hour and half away, the next one is 3 and half hours away in a HUGE city, which I'm sure probably is hard to get into, I hear they have long waiting lists. My next choice is the methadone clinic which is still an hour and a half away, BUT methaodne was my drug of choice, so that would be pointless for my recovery, I might as well as go back to scamming pain clinics around here, atleast they're in town....

I'm so stressed out from all this, all I thought about was relaspsing, but luckly I don't know anyone with anything for me to relapse with(except hydrocodone, and I hate those things, they make me vomit nonstop and do nothing for my WDs and cravings). Actually since I've been on SUbxone, my town has had a couple new pain clinics cme into town, I was thinking about calling them to see how much they would charge and if they did opioid therapy, but I stopped myself, I decided to give my doctor another week, if he cancels again, then I will have to figure out something....

Thanks for listening to LONG rant, I needed to get this off my chest!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi SPB and welcome to the forum.

Wow, I'm sorry you had such a hard time working around a planned vacation, jumping through those hoops and all. Try not to get ahead of yourself and assume your doctor is going to disappear. It is summer and I guess doctors are entitled to a vacation, too. :lol: Take a deep breath and try to be patient. Do you have another appointment set up and do you have enough pills until then? Please don't make plans to go back on pain meds! I'm curious, how long have you been seeing your sub doc? I think based on other doctors splitting you're naturally fearful of that happening again, but don't get ahead of yourself, OK?

Hang in there, again-WELCOME, and keep us posted on how it's going.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:47 pm 
Hi - I'm glad you decided to post instead of relapsing - that was a great decision made under a lot of stress, so be proud of yourself for that! Also, sorry about your grandma. What I thought was amazing was that the pharm. admitted that they shorted you the pills. I figured after so many days had passed they would have said "oh no, you must have taken them" or implied that you were scamming for more pills. So I'm glad you actually got them. Someone else just posted about getting shorted by the pharmacy, so I guess we should all count our pills before we even walk out the door!
Did the doc's office call in more Subs for the xtra week he's going to be gone? Hopefully he'll be back and you can get back on track. I really wish there were more Sub docs available. A lot of people travel great distances for treatment. My doc is pretty sketchy, but I haven't been able to find anyone else in my area that would be better for me.
Good luck and I hope you stick around the forum.
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the replies!! Well my appointment is for tomorrow, but I forgot to pay my cell phone bill (oops!! LOL) and my other cell phone is lost, my wonderful ten year old son keeps losing it in the house somewhere (last time found it way underneigth the couch) so I can't call to double check my appointment, so I have no choice but to drive all the way over there, but either way, my father took my 2 kids out of town to plan memorial services for my grandmother so I could go to my appointment alone, and I can use the time out of the house by myself. So right now it's just me and my dog, I have to leave early in the morning to my apointment, i hope he's there and things go well...

I'm scared that the nurse put something in my file about the incident, but I'm gonna explain it in details to my doctor about what happened...I know her so-called investigation had to turn out okay, cause I did tell her the truth, and I know she called my pharmacy, and they admitted to me and the other pharmacy that I was shorted, so I know they had of told her too...but either way, it makes me feel terrible. I've been oging to this doctor for 2 years, and I have a clean track record with him...

I've also been hearing that doctors in the state I live in have been disappearing due to the high costs of running their office, and alot are moving to another state to save alot of money...so it's not unusual to hear of doctors disappearing. I had one doctor years ago disappear due to her being Dr. Feelgood, then another one disappeared because he had been fighting with the group of doctors he was with (he was an internist and they didn't want to pay him more hten the PAs, so he opened his own ofice somehwere else just for seniors), and another doctor just disappeared with no explanation...and now my new GP doctor I see for other health related issues no involved with Suboxone is planning on leaving in September, but atleast she's giving a warning...so it does worry me that he's gonna pull a disappearing act also, but hopefuly he doesnt, alot of patients depend on him, and he knows he's one of the very few Suboxone doctors around, and he runs this office so I would think I would of received a letter from him by now, and nothing has appeared yet. So I'm keping my fingers crossed!!

Wish me luck on my appointment tomorrow that everything goes well. I've been loyal to my treatment, I havent relapsed once in 2 years, I havent taken ANY other narcotic or other drugs of abuse, I don't drink, I completed my outpatient classes, go to NA meetings atleast once a week (it's hard to find a babysitter for my 2 kids, and they absoutly refuse to go with me), havent taken more then prescribed, don't run early, don't do anything illegal, I pretty much live a boring life!!

-SPB

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been following your thread and absolutely believe your story. This is the one thing that scares me about being on sub and possibly having something like that happen. I know people in my old town that lost their sub doc becasue he was arrested for stabbing one of his patients. Turns out he was an alcoholic and addictied to Klonipin. He was arrested for attempted murder.

Please update us and let us know how things went. I hope your doc was there and all went well. I look forward to hearing how this turns out.

Jim