It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I tried to get off sub, you could probably locate my posts on this forum if you looked hard.

I failed horribly and started doing a drug even worse than before I was on suboxone the first time, heroin.

I decided I needed to go back on sub, so I got inducted, and was written a 7 day supply of sub. I filled it at the pharmacy, no problems.

Yesterday, I filled an old hydrocodone script that I got for legitimate budging discs in my neck due to an accident in october. I wanted to have them around in case I legitimately needed them one day after getting off the sub. So today I go to the pharmacy that I filled the suboxone at (which is not the same pharmacy that I file my regular prescriptions at, this is simply a matter of convenience as they are closer to the sub doc.) He returns to me and says that he simply "cannot do it." I assumed that they may have been out of the medication. (I have to have tablets as my insurance doesn't cover the film.) To my surprise, the exact words out of his mouth was. (You have too many doctors and too many medicines.) I was shocked, because other than one previous doctor for my neck injury, I have no other medications or doctors.

I was going to go to my normal pharmacy and see if they could fill it for me tomorrow. And if they want, I would give them the hydrocodones back. (Like that will happen, I'm pretty sure the pharmacy has a policy about not taking back meds once they leave the store.)

Did I ruin everything here? If so I think that's kind of a bullshit way for a pharmacist to treat someone., (excuse my french.)

I hate to do it but if I have to I'll go back to buying subs off the street.. The whole reason I did this was because I wanted to STOP doing that and the last time I tried to taper and get off on my own. I failed miserably and relapsed on heroin. I wanted to do this the right way, try to be on sub for another year and ween off with a doctors supervision.. Maybe it's flunk now, I dont know..

Do you guys have any advice or information?

If so thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think a lot of it depends on the pharmacist/pharmacy, if you used insurance to pay for a script, they may have seen where you were getting subs and hydros at close to the same time, from different docs/Rx's, and probably jumped to conclusions that you were doctor shopping. If you pay cash only, and a pharmacy doesn't run your insurance, I think they have less info to check against to see if anything is suspicious (IDK, just my opinion).

My main point is DO NOT give up on getting your suboxone, I've been in a couple wrecks, have a bad back, and I take 1 8mg strip a day, and it helps immensely with low back pain (for me). Maybe wait a month to use your insurance to pay for suboxone, but pay cash (I just hate to hear you went back to H). You could also go back to your regular pharmacy, give them your sub script, explain what happened (take the hydros with you to show the pharmacist, if they ask about that specific script that you filled), and if you have a good customer relationship with that pharmacist, explain what you're trying to do, and maybe they'll work with you.

Hopefully someone else will give you some suggestions, again I'd rather see you fight to get your subs, then go back to H.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

To answer your question Rex, you may have, depends on your doctor and how rigidly they will hold you to the agreement I assume that you signed. I instruct patients that all opioids come through me now and any controlled substances must be approved by me. Had you asked about the hydrocodone the answer would have been no, we will cross the pain control bridge when we get there. After induction, the focus must be on sobriety and change. Again, depends on your doctor, I have dealt with similar situations, short leash, weekly for several weeks with 7 day Rx.
Very few pain clinics would continue to prescribe opioids for 'bulging disks,' months after the incident, especially for 'just in case.'
Todd, in every state except Missouri there is a database that records every scheduled prescription. In our state (MN), a pharmacist is required to check this database before filling a scheduled prescription. Doesn't matter if a person used insurance or paid cash. Currently I can check what has been filled in the 5 adjoining states as well. A very useful tool in my view. I show each person during the intake interview their profile and let them know it will be checked periodically. Cuts down on what is happening to REX.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for your response.

To be quite clear, I was called today by the doctor regarding the situation which I explained I had no problems returning the hydrocodone and I did not know it would cause a problem. He said that was fine and if the pharm could verify that I brought them back he would tell them to go ahead and fill the subs. Unfortunately the pharmacy told me that they could not take back prescriptions, even if I did not request a refund. I made the doctors office aware, they said to just hold on to the hydrocones till tomorrow.

I feel like an idiot, I have a lawsuit due to missed time off work and other damages due to the wreck, it hurt me, a vehicle, and hurt my ability to take care of my family for some time, I'm hoping that my disc issue isn't a life long issue and I do experience pain from it. I feel like if the doctor handling my case is contacted he will be less likely to help me and my lawyer with my case and I'll be labeled a drug seeker. Will the sub doctor be allowed to call my orthopedic doctor? I don't remember signing any release forms, but I do remember they knew I had visited him and even asked what for. I was upfront and honest, and told them I had a wreck. I have one follow up visit with him and I will not be asking for pain medicine for obvious reasons.

To be honest, the whole situation has got me upset, stressed out, slightly sick and tempted to use. I hate it because I know I fucked myself over. But I honestly did not know it would cause any problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As far as the pharmacist goes, I think this is becoming a regular thing, so I wouldn't take it personally. Last month I went to get my prescription for my 1mg bupe/day and the pharmacist refused to fill it because I had a recent prescription for Ultram. I told them to go ahead and call my Sub doc, because she knew about the Ultram - but it was an inconvenience because it delayed me getting my bupe for 2 days.

What concerns me is you wanting to get the hydros "in case you need them" one day after you're off the Sub. If and when you get off the Sub again you're really going to have to plan on taking NO narcotics - unless it's an absolute emergency, in which case you'll get them when you need them.

As far as the car accident goes, I got in one when I was on Sub and was prescribed painkillers. I, too was worried that the fact I was on Sub would come up, but it didn't.

Just keep focusing on your recovery. This incident will blow over. You can even show your Sub doc that you didn't take any of the hydro. Don't use over it. As you already know, things only get worse.

Good luck,
Lilly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good news, they released enough to last me until Monday, and told me to bring the hydrocodones in with me on Monday to give to him and he would release the rest of the suboxone script to me, which shows they understand my situation. I just hope they didn't contact my ortho and jeopardize my case..

Also I have a question? Is this legal? To give these pills to him I mean? I just didn't understand exactly if it was or wasnt because i'd be giving him a narcotic..

I feel like maybe he'll ask me to flush them in front of him or something which I would be more comfortable with.

Can anyone chime in on that for me please?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:42 am 

What happened to Lilly just happened to me. My Suboxone doctor gives me Ultram (tramadol) to help with post C and spinal pain. I've been on this regimen for over two years w/o any problem. After I dropped off both scripts the pharmacist called and said they can't fill both together so she will need to call the doctor, which she did and I got my script. Thing is, I used to be addicted to Tramadol & Norco, among other tasty tidbits. Now I don't feel it at all and only use 2 scripts a year if even that much.

You don't need any "just in case". That is a very dangerous statement and could lead to a relapse. Take the other posters advice and commit to your Suboxone and find a recovery program.

That's my take on it. Good luck.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Is i illegal to give him the pills?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_disposal/

Might be able to find your answer here. I think it depends whether they have registered or not. I have never pursued that designation and just direct people to a drug drop off sight. All our local police departments have them now. Pharmacies currently cannot accept dispensed medications.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks. I am just going to give them up and hope I'm not doing anything illegal. I don't want to be cut off because I'm starting to stabilize and do well on my dose..

I'm gonna ask for my bottle with my name on it back at least.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You would not be doing anything illegal or worrisome. Any problems would come on them. Go forth and recover in peace.