It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll preface this by saying that I have good insurance and have been blessed that it has covered my Suboxone (w/ co-pay) throughout most of my treatment, for that I am grateful.

Before Christmas I was struggling. I was on 8mg/day but taking extra. I was honest with my doc and she wrote me a new script for 12mg/day. I clearly explained to the pharmacist that it was a dosage increase. However, he chose to enter it as an early refill override. He said my insurance denied it, which I was suspicious of because it was only 4 days early and my insurance has allowed that in the past. Well I was out and I decided to pay cash for the script and put in for a reimbursement for it with my insurance company later. Big mistake. They charged me $587. I just called the insurance company and they said they may not approve it at all because I already had one early fill override in the last year (which I was unaware of, (but maybe shouldn't have been)). Then they said even if they DO reimburse me it will be at the negotiated price which is ~$300.

The reason I'm pissed is because the printout of the denial the pharmacy gave me said " call Dr. For a new RX". I clearly told the pharm it was a new RX, but i believe that BECAUSE IT WAS SUBOXONE he chose to play policeman for the fact that I finished my prior Sub script early. I honestly believe if it were blood pressure medicine or something I wouldn't be going through this right now.

Believe me, this gives me compassion for those who have to pay this amount every month. I'm just freaking because it's on my credit card, along with extra Christmas expenses. Suboxone is already a sore spot with my husband and he won't be happy that I spent almost $600 on it even though we have good insurance. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 pm 

This bites, Lilly! I can't stand it when pharmacists/doctors try to play God! I don't suppose this is a pharmacist who will allow you to buy a weeks worth at a time either.

I know that many spouses don't really understand addiction. Does your husband ever try to understand it? I know it's been tough with him from things you've said before. I wish he would open his mind and actually be open to some research.

I haven't worked for a paycheck since 2008 and I think my husband wants me to get a job. That's part of our unspoken tension right now. I'm starting classes for becoming a certified addictions counselor, so I can't yet get a job in that field. In addition, a lot of places won't even hire you in a substance abuse position until you've had 2 full years of sobriety, and that won't happen until October for me. Anyway, all that to say that I understand having some tension with your husband. But it's a damn shame that your husband doesn't treat suboxone as the medication that is basically saving your life right now. That's frustrating!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

yea,,,, it sucks....... :cry:

I wish I could get insurance thru my work,,, I keep bugging my boss about it......

and I've had pretty good luck, with the pharmacy I use,,,,,,, My doctor ALWAYS puts
right after the "instructions" on my hardcopy (suboxone script)

""may fill one film to 90 films, as needed within six months""

I haven't really had a problem, since he started doing this.... Sometimes I can ONLY get two or three (2/$18 and 3/$27..4/$36)
when I or my husband get paid I get 10-15.....

well, LONG story short,,,,,
lately when I've been going in,,,, for instance, last week, my hubby's check was not much, so I got 5......
the NEXT day,,, I got a reimbursement check in the mail and went to pick up 5 more, the
lady behind the counter (not even the pharmacist) says.
"well you just got 5 yesterday"

I said, "does IT MATTER?"

she just gave me a DIRTY look and continued,,,,, but seriously,,,, I can ONLY buy a few at time sometimes,
whats the BIG DEAL????
Im really "ahead" with my perscriptions,,,,, I haven't even started my new one which was dropped off the 28th,
it should be OBVIOUS Im not abusing them.......

okay, rant over.............. I'm sorry Lilly, I'd be upset , too.............

OH,,, and I cannot even use the coupon?

I guess because I was on the patient assistance program, (it expired end of september) the coupon says
"not valid"
when the pharmacy tries to use in on my perscription... and yes, it was for over 14......
SUCKS!!!

but my doctor IS trying to get me enrolled in it for another year,,, Im just not holding my breath!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:56 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

ohhhh lilly, I feel your pain.

Last month I lost about a weeks worth of my lithium and sub. (long story)

Since I have been on sub for almost three years with NO early refills, my doctor called in an 8 day supply. My asshole pharmacy told me i couldnt get it until my doctor authorized an early refill. I said he did ya jackass....he called you guys yesterday! They made my doc call again. Then they said my insurance denied it. I said I would pay cash, I lost my meds. They still said,no. They had no problem with the lithium, just the sub. I threw a huge fit at the counter and finally got it.

I was so pissed I almost changed pharmacies. But is it going to be different somewhere new? They will probably think im pharmacy shopping!

Its like we have to bend over and take it because we are totally powerless. I dont know the solution to this....I think you should call your insurance and tell them the story. Maybe you could fax them the new script?

Or you could write a nice letter to the pharm manager and maybe at least you could get an explanation

Good luck. Sorry I was a bit vulgar but I get so mad about this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's just it, orange doll, they had no problem with the lithium, it was just the Sub.....and it's not only because its CII, a lot of people here have a history of going to the pharm with all kinds of crazy refills and early fills with painkillers, and it's not until they get on Sub that suddenly they are given a hard time. And you guys are right, I should have just gotten a weeks worth, I didn't think of it and of course the pharmacist didn't suggest it, even though it was only 4 DAYS before the insurance would have kicked in! Ugh!
Anyway, I'm not done fighting this. I have my doc on my side who I am totally honest with. She actually wrote the script a week before I even filled it. Knowing that the holidays are a really tough time for me she thought I should go on a higher dose even sooner.

Amy- I totally relate to everything you are saying. I think my husband really has made an effort to understand my addiction. But he knows that Sub gets me buzzed and he doesn't think that is helpful - and there definitely is some truth to that. And, like you, I haven't been gainfully employed in quite a while (my part time job brings in a pittance), so that is a stressor, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm happy to report that my insurance company handled things on their end, and then instructed me to go to the pharmacy to have them reprocess the script. The pharmacy did refund the amount I paid, so I didn't lose anything. Unfortunately, the pharmacist who I dealt with originally wasn't there so I didn't have a chance to express what I wanted to. I did say that I should have been given the option of getting a partial fiil and they said the customer has to request that, so I guess that's fair enough.

I also had a chance to tell my doctor today what happened. She agreed that the fact that the med was Suboxone was probably the issue. She said I should have had them call her before paying for it. She is such a strong advocate for her patients and an all around beautiful person - it makes me angry and sad when I read what other people go through with their Sub docs.

I've been told I'm wrong about this on the forum before, but I'm sticking to my guns: if someone has insurance I believe the doctors should have to use it. I still can't understand how they can get away with not billing someone's insurance just because of the diagnosis. To me it's like a doctor saying, oh so you have HPV? Sorry, it's strictly cash for that (because I don't like the kind of person that would have a disease like that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:03 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Just for the record Suboxone and Subutex are CIII but I totally understand what you're saying about the stigma as I actually had less issues getting Morphine, Oxycodone and other CII drugs early with obviously crazy excuses than picking up legitimate buprenorphine scripts a few days early for whatever reason even with my doctor making calls to the pharmacy on my behalf.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I can't believe you were treated like that. Who do some these pharmacists think they are? Some people are power hungry and want to be the boss in control at the expense. It's sickening really, but still good to know that you were reimbursed and got what you deserved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:44 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

*...at the expense of others.

Didn't allow me to edit it after I posted because I was too soon and when I tried again it said I was too late

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for pointing that out TwinCities. I actually thought it was CII because at another pharmacy I once went to they asked me for ID. But now I can see that the ID thing was just more of the same junkie treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:39 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Lill-

Too funny, that's one thing I remember from my early days transitioning from huge amounts of MSContin and OxyIR to Subutex, I never had any issues picking up the CII's no questions asked, a few times as much as 3 weeks early paying cash to override insurance but day one bringing in a Sub RX 'We're going to need to see your drivers license for this one!' and weirdly enough 'you've already been on methadone, that wasn't strong enough for you?!' That was right after the Subs came on the market, though, and there was even less understanding and more stigma than there is today; it's really too bad to hear that that exists at all ten years later...

Travis

(763)250.0702
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That takes the cake. I can't believe they actually brought up one of your previous scripts and asked if methadone was not "strong enough". What gall. How can they think that is even their business? I've been thinking about this lately in light of all the stories here. Is the stigma attached to Suboxone because you are now officially labelled an addict, whereas with all the pain pill scripts there might have been some doubt? Or is it because the script requires the special DEA number and somehow they feel that sets it apart as being somehow more dangerous or more likely to be diverted than other opiates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Lill-

I'm not sure the reasoning in all cases but in this one the pharmacist was just a straight up dickhead. This was all said in front of other customers and though I was confident none of them knew the words suboxone or subutex at the time they certainly did know the word methadone. This was actually a pharmacy within a clinic my Dr. was employeed through back then and insisted that his RX's be called into for induction. I told my Dr how upset this exchange made me and he claimed that he was going to mention it to the pharmacist but after that induction and for all subsequent RX's I went to my regular pharmacy that treats me like a human being.

Travis

(763)250.0702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So my doctor wants me to go to 16mg/day (another story, another thread)
So she PERSONALLY called in my script, and they tried to tell HER no, that it's early, etc. She told them she raised my dose BEFORE the refill so I should have been taking more than it said on the bottle because she TOLD me to. Ultimately, she just told them, do what she says. So they did, and the insurance accepted it, so as I originally thought, it WASN'T the insurance like they told me, it was just the judgemental pharmacist.
By rights I should go somewhere else (this is a RiteAid BTW). But its the only pharmacy conveniently located between my docs office and home. Why should I be inconvenienced? I go in there with my head held high.
And I DO feel vindicated by my doctor. Unfortunately, most doctors wouldn't take the time to take care of something like this.

BTW I meant for this thread to be in the damn pharmacist section. :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm 

Your wish is my command, Ms. Lilly...

Post subject: I'm tryin to tell ya
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

All pharmacists are either:
A. Dipping in the till, and riding schedule threes as Vic's etc are not tightly regulated,
And therefore don't question others habits.
B. hypocritical and think all who get more than one occasional fill or are confined to wheelchair, or are 90 years old are addicts and need busting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this is old...but why is it normally they hand u the script all at once and on occasion try to make u come back to get the rest by stating well you just filled two u should have enough till tomorrow. Um...ok is this a methadone clinic? Am I supposed to come back everyday. What's the difference. . I get my whole script normally all at once... why. All.of a sudden I gotta wait to get my approved medication. Not every pharmacist does this but once in a while I run into this policeing .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the doctor's script says 'disp #30', then the pharmacist should dispense that many-- unless there is a shortage at the pharmacy. Many pharmacies in Wisconsin have plenty of Suboxone, but don't carry much buprenorphine unless they have known patient-customers. There isn't much to do about the latter, but withholding mediation that is in stock is not appropriate. I guess the other situation may be if they have only a certain number in stock, and several patients are coming in for it. Maybe they divided it up to cover all the patients.

You may want to talk to the pharmacist about it-- of course you would want to be overly pleasant and polite, because they are used to being pushed for early refills. I get really mad about pharmacists who 'pre-judge', but I do understand why some get annoyed after getting badgered.