It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi All,
This question is in regards to my wife. She detoxed off Benzos and pain killers after it's use for 1.5 years or so. Well, she ended up addicted again for a short period. The first time she detoxed, she went to an in-patient facility. The second time, she started seeing a doctor who, at the present time, is trying to detox her with Suboxone. She's been on Suboxone for about one year now.

Since she has been on Suboxone, she's had a different personality. She basically talks A LOT. While that in itself isn't bad, she tends to confuse things we are discussing. She'll also change subjects often and slur her speech. She is also forgetful and looses her balance once in a while. I know this sounds strange, but she seems overly happy(i know you cant be too happy). Now, I know why this is happening, but when she talks to friends, neighbors, family and co-workers, they have no idea why and I know they know something is up. To be very honest, it's embarrassing. I find myself making excuses to NOT go to functions with her, because of how she is.

A few months ago, I tried to explain to my wife what I was noticing and at first she took offense and claimed I was belittling her. After a day or two, she calmed down and cried, saying she did not want to embarrassment herself of me. I asked that she discuss it with her doctor, which she did. The Doctor lowered her dose. I believe it was 8mg cut in half twice a day. So, 4mg two times a day. So, for about two months, her personality was somewhat back to normal. Last week, I started noticing those same personality problems and come to find out her doctor upped the MG's again.

I'm not sure why I posted this, maybe to vent a bit, but I'm at my wits end. My wife is not my wife again. It's to the point that I don't want to discuss things with her, because of the confusion, forgetfulness, slurred speech, etc.. Sadly, I don't want to be around her. I know I have to discuss this again with her, but hope it won't turn nasty on her part.

I guess I do have a question, does any of this sound familiar in terms of side effects? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome! I am currently on 16mg of sub a day. I have never experienced nor have I heard of anyone having that reaction while on suboxone. I hate to say it but in my opinion your wife is using some other drug or drugs. It is common to feel an effect the first couple weeks while on sub but nothing like you describe. After the body becomes used to sub (after the 1st couple weeks) you do not get high or any euphoric feeling from sub. Suboxone has a ceiling effect at around 4mg so once you are tolerant to 4mg you are tolerant to 8 or 16 or whatever the case may be. Meaning you can take more and more but it will not get you high. The only reason people being treated for addiction take doses above the ceiling is to address cravings. I know you said you had a talk with your wife and she had the dose lowered and seemed better for a while but it is possible that your talk made back off from whatever she was taking and the sub had nothing to do with it. Some of the symptoms you describe sound like cocaine, talking a lot, not being able to focus on the conversation and jumping from topic to topic. Other's sound like benzo or alcohol, slurred speach, clumsiness. Obviously I can not say any of this for certain but I find it hard to believe that sub could be causing that behavior. I am sorry you have to go thru this, addiction is an ugly thing and it is so unfair to everyone involved, you can try confronting her but sadly she will only get better if she is ready and wants to, and at the moment it does not seem like she is ready. I am sure other's will be by to answer your post and may see something I didn't. I honestly pray that I wrong. Please remeber thru this ordeal to take care of yourself, even though you are not the addict her addiction can and does affect you negatively. Maybe you could try al-anon meeting. I encourage you to read thru the forum as it contains a lot of info about sub, please ask any questions you may have and feel free to vent whenever you feel the need. We are all here to support eachother. In fact maybe you can convince your wife to post, it has helped me tremendously. I wish you the best and please keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on this forum for two years and I have never heard of anyone reporting what you are describing as a side effect of Sub. It sound like hypomania to me, and there are others here who know more about that, so hopefully they will reply. Has your wife ever been screened for any other mental illness besides addiction? Is she on any other meds like an SSRI? These can cause mania in some people. (You also have to consider the possibility that she may be using stimulants). A lot of Sub docs just prescribe Sub, period. I would consider going to a psychologist and having YOU speak to the doctor first because your wife doesn't seem to be aware of her behavior. I'm confident that a qualified person can get to the root of this and she can be treated.
I wish you both the best.
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi axel and welcome to the forum, although I'm sorry about what's brought you here. The ideas given to you - that there could be other drugs involved or underlying mental illnesses, are good possibilities that should be given consideration, in my opinion.

I can say that many people get extra energy from taking suboxone. And for some people that lasts the entire duration of their sub treatment. Now I, too, have never heard of it affecting someone to THIS degree. But I suppose it's maybe, just maybe possible that it's related to her dose? It's maybe a stretch, but if a lower dose helped her.....Maybe I'm grasping at straws here.

Have you ever gone with her to see her sub doctor? Would she allow you to, do you think? That might give you the opportunity to share things with her doctor - to tell him/her what's been going on with your wife. Just a thought I had.

I'm really sorry to hear this is going on. Hang in there and try to remember to take care of YOU through all this. Keep us posted and vent here with us as often as you need to. We're here to support you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey axle,

The only drug I'm familiar with that produces those effects are Benzo's (Valium, Xanax, etc.) and pain killers. The fact that you talked to her about her behavior and she got defensive is a major red flag to me. In my opinion, there are other drugs involved.

I don't think it's the Suboxone causing these issues because I took pretty high doses of Sub for a time and never had any issues like you report your wife is having.

I hope you and her are able to get things straightened out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Axle, your post worries me--when you say you don't want to be around your wife anymore, it breaks my heart. She is obviously in some need of counseling, or maybe finding the right medication for her. Please don't blame her for what you guys are going through--- try to be strong. I know it's hard. My mom just blew up on me Friday, I don't know why, but all of a sudden, she lost her mind, started throwing things and banging on the walls and kicked me out of our house and threatened to shoot me if I tried to come back in. Schizophrenia runs in her side of the family, and she's also been diagniosed a couple of years ago with the beginning stages of Alzheimer's, so I'm the only family member left, her ONLY kid, and it's hard on me; I have to face the fact that something mental has gone terribly wrong with my mother, just as you are experiencing with your wife.

Anyhow, to stay on topic, I've been on Suboxone since August 29th, 2011. It has completely taken away my chronic back pain. I take 24mg a day. I have spinal issues, and a cyst growing on my spinal cord, which I think is the reason that sometimes I lose my balance. I don't believe it is the sub at all. BUT I can tell you that on the 4th day, I stood up too fast, and blacked out and fell on my back and buttock on the back porch steps. OWWWWW. The papers that come with suboxone warn one of standing up too quickly!

I am also on a couple of antidepressants, but nothing like valium, or xanax. I haven't been on this board long, but I too haven't read of anyone saying that suboxone made them talk too much. It IS an opioid, like Lortabs, and I can tell you that they would make ME talk a lot more, and my mother too; In fact, now that I am off of them, I can tell when she takes one! She starts talking a lot!! But that is probably from the euphoric feeling it gives her.. She's also on fentayl patches too; she claims she cannot feel the lortab when she takes it.

I hope you can find out what is going on with your wife, and I hope I can figure out what went wrong with my mom. Sometimes life is so difficult and heartbreaking. And scary! Please try to stay strong--that is what I'm having to do, and I'm all alone in this. You can divorce your wife, but you can't divorce your mother, especially not when she's all you've got left. Hang in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I get extremely talkative and energetic when i take it; maybe her tolerance level us low? Then again, after taking it for a year, she should have a stronger tolerance to it now.