It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Permanent Record?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I am thinking about getting re-prescribed Suboxone, and I wanted to know if this goes on any sort of permanent record? For instance, if I were to take a job in the future where employees are closely scrutinized, will there be any sort of record that I am prescribed Suboxone (and thus am an opiate addict)?

Also, on a side note, I am currently using my old prescription of Suboxone to self-medicate. I am tired of doing this, even though it's my own prescription, I don't feel right doing this, because I don't feel like it bodes well for my sobriety. So I want to go back to a doctor, and in a few months get medically tapered off. Will I be able to get a prescription?

Post subject: Background Check
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:04 pm 

My previous nurse mentioned to me that it will show up on a background check. I'm not positive about this and it's on my short list of things to research.

It really pissed me off when she told me that. The subject came up when I said I was looking for a driving job or something with the local or county government. She said it may affect my ability to get the job.

That is complete bull****! First the doctors get me strung out on their ample supply of pain meds, then when I ask for help getting off of them, my record states I'm an addict! Once again, it needs to be verified.

I'll let you know what I find out. If you come up with it first, please post it.

Post subject: Retraction
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:37 pm 

I just did some Google research and from what I can see, no potential employer can see if you're using Suboxone unless you sign a release of your medical records. And that I wouldn't do.

So it seems we both got some wrong information and that's a good thing.

Just to make sure, I'll still do some more checking.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can't imagine that a prospective employer would be able to get that type of information. That sounds like a pretty big HIPAA violation to me! I'm glad to see you that you researched this topic & found out you were given the wrong info. Rule62, I get a little pissed too when I think about the doctor that got me to the point I was at with pain meds. I should never have been prescribed the amount of oxycodone I was taking. I guess they don't care, they're not the ones that have to deal with the aftermath!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You should at least feel glad that you didn't bring the problems on yourself.

Hell, I even brought my Suboxone addiction on myself.

If I quit successfully I won't feel so regretful, but until then I hate myself when I think about all the self-destruction I've done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

SunAtBack wrote:
You should at least feel glad that you didn't bring the problems on yourself.

Hell, I even brought my Suboxone addiction on myself.

If I quit successfully I won't feel so regretful, but until then I hate myself when I think about all the self-destruction I've done.

I cannot speak for him, but many people with prescribed meds and have problems with them end up not taking them as prescribed. Try not to be so hard of yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think it's true that no one can look at your medical records because of HIPPA. But the catch-22 is that for a driving job (or other dangerous job) they might ask you to sign a release to look at your medical records. Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to do that even if I weren't an addict. But I guess maybe they could hold it against you if you don't sign the release. I'm all in favor of safety, but it seems like in the current climate of this country there is quite a bit of invasion of privacy in the name of safety/security. Now to apply for most jobs you have to sign a release to let them look at your credit report, and if you don't sign it they won't consider your application. I'm lucky to have gotten through active addiction with my credit score intact, but I know many people who have bad credit through no fault of their own. It really sucks.
Back to the Suboxone issue. My Sub doc bills my visits as medication management, and I don't know if it's ever been coded as substance abuse. But now that your other docs can see all the meds you are on through the prescription dug system, it could still end up in my chart by some doc who's never even treated me for addiction!

I think it's a big concern for a lot of us, and rightfully so, as addiction is still pretty stigmatized in this society.

Post subject: Oh Yea
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:48 pm 

To restate what was already said. My doctor/s got me on the meds, I took it way and beyond. What really hurt was being a recovering alcoholic. Over 20 years of successful sobriety right out the window. But hey, an addict is an addict. Doesn't really matter what drug they take, the outcome is the same.

BTW, being mostly a preferred drinker, I ended up mixing Norco with Soma. It is almost like getting drunk. Very close to my DOC.

So don't be so hard on yourself. Those little vampires suck the good out of people. You are putting it back. Yea Man!