It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:55 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello all. I started suboxone strips about 6 weeks ago .. with one mini relapse and have been working hard to mentally and emotionally get through this. I was in a terrible car accident 2 years ago .. of course given percocet.. which i took few a few months then BAM i found out i was pregnant..got off any meds.. then after a very painful pregnancy due to back and sciatic problems from accident i finally had my first baby boy april 15th 2011 and he is the love of my life... but of course i ended in c-section back on percocet again... from then till jan I went from perc 5 to 7.5 to percocet 10 and i'm sure you know as it goes you go from 2 a day to ten. It had taken over my life My doctor always gave me refills. as time passed each time i would run out early W?D got worse. I had myself convinced that the only why i could work take care of a baby clean house ect was because of the percocet... I finally woke and realized what a BIG problem this had become. I just wanted my life back not eating pills all day or having my mom watch my son for the night because i was in w/d . So i sought out a sub doc and here i am. Thanks for reading and i hope the best recovery for everyone here.. i know i need it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! But more importantly, CONGRATS on making a huge change in your life and choosing suboxone! What a big, wonderful step you took for yourself and your family!

How are you doing so far on it? Are you settled in on a stable, once daily dose yet? Do you feel comfortable on it?

Again, welcome, and if you have any questions, just ask away! And thanks for sharing your story.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congratulations HoneyBee. You're right- it IS perfect timing. You could have struggled thru the next 10 years and pretty easily convinced yourself it was justified by all you had on your plate but you didn't. Now you've got a very realistic shot at seeing your little boy grow up instead of just trying to survive. That's exciting and I'm happy for you.

Hat, you asked if HB was able to get to once daily doses yet. In your experience (or anyone's really), does it take a little time to get there? I ask because I'm trying to dose once daily and have yet to get there consistently. Some days I do but most I don't. I was just wondering if that's a normal progression that I'm going thru and that honey bee might also expect to experience.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's not unusual for people new to sub treatment to struggle with once daily dosing. Unfortunately, it often happens because doctors start treatment by telling patients to dose twice daily, when it really isn't necessary and that just reinforces the habit. So I guess you could say it's normal.

When most of us come out of active addiction, one of our worst habits/coping skills is popping pills throughout the day, usually whenever things get rough or bad or just too difficult (for whatever reason) to deal with. That habit isn't always that simple to break. So, although yes, it's ideal to dose once daily and forget about it the rest of the day, life it's always that simple. Reality gets in the way and quite frankly, we didn't build up those bad habits overnight and it will take some time to break them, too. Don't be so hard on yourself. When you find yourself taking extra doses during the day, start asking yourself questions like, "was there a trigger?", "was I trying to numb my emotions?", "what was I trying to accomplish?". Because in our heads, we KNOW that taking extra suboxone won't do anything. Not a thing. But try to figure out what is triggering you and how you can find other ways to cope besides taking something.

Like I said, don't be too hard on yourself. Change takes time and changing OURSELVES takes a lot of hard work. But let me tell you, I've been on sub for nearly 3.5 years and in hard-core individual counseling for many more years than that as well, and working diligently in therapy to make oneself a better person is damn hard but one of the most worthwhile things you'll ever do. Keep at it and you'll get there! :)

Post subject: thanks everyone
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thanks to both of you! right now I am on 8mg film 2x a day. After all the reading i was doing (on other sites) I heard a lot of ppl telling ppl "oh that's way too much!" So i'm not sure if I am stable yet lol. The first week I took it I had terrible headaches,panic attacks, and insomnia .. so I panicked for a few reasons went back to percocet for 2 weeks and started going through the worst w/d I ever had. My boyfriend was so disappointed for relapsing (plus i didnt have insurance yet and we paid $300 between visit and sub) So I made a promise I would get off this merry go round for my new little family , counted my blessings, went back to sub doc and got back on it... and have been good since. I do seem to have some side effects sometimes.. occasional headache, anxiety, drowsiness ect. but I feel much more clear headed and less like percs are controlling my life. My sub doc said he hopes to have me off by summer, now I know THIS is contraindicated but my doc does prescribe me .50 dose of ativan for when i have a panic attack. I never had an issue with that type of med (had anxiety and panic attacks for awhile now) so i never take more than needed of ativan usually i break it in half.
The whole weirdness of not taking something multiple times a day is weird , i was so used to popping pill after pill., so right now taking it 2x a day helps me a lot. I'm good on the cravings and overall i have more positive outlook.MY son was always well taken care of but because I'm happier my son seems like a happier baby and that means everything to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you're getting headaches, try spitting out after the tablet or film dissolves instead of swallowing. You could be hyper-sensitive to the naloxone and spitting it out means you'll get less of it in your system. And if you're having trouble sleeping, try not to take the second dose too close to bed time - that could be preventing you from sleeping well.

If those things don't work, you could always try lowering your dose a bit. Usually by lowering one's dose, any side effects tend to subside as well. By lowering it a bit, I'm just thinking maybe dropping by a couple of mg. But that's ONLY if you're having trouble with side effects or if you are feeling funny, like the dose is too high. For example, when you take your sub, (once stabilized), you shouldn't really feel a thing. I take mine and I feel the same before I take it as I do after I take it. I feel nothing, no energy, no 'loopiness' or any kind of buzz whatsoever. When people are on too high a dose, then generally feel very sleepy and get some kind of a slight "high" feeling and it might take longer to subside than just a few days.

Lastly, please don't compare your dose to that of anyone else. What works for you won't necessarily work for anyone else and vice versa. We are all unique beings with very unique chemical makeups. Someone else might do excellent on 4 or 6 mg, but that doesn't mean YOU WILL. If you feel your best at 16 mg, then so be it! The dose you want is the one that addresses both your cravings and withdrawals and does that at the lowest dose possible, with the least amount of side effects. It's common for a new patient to drop to the lowest dose possible a couple of months after inducing. Most people start out on a higher dose than their long-term maintenance dose will be.

Now that I've written a novella, I'll end here. Again, I hope this helps. :)

Post subject: Great advice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you , since I am new to this, it's a bit of learning process. I don't take my 2nd dose right before i learned the hard way i slept like 2 hours and in between my baby got up twice so I didn't sleep much so I take it in the afternoon. As far as comparing, thank you, i feel much better than that. I definitely don't judge i was just kinda concerned i was on too much. In the morning when i take the first dose i don't get "high" but i do get a burst of energy kinda thing. then later in the day i need a nap lol so maybe lowering it a bit will help. I 'll try the spitting thing. since I'm on 8/2.5 mg film it 's probaly the nalaxone then I usually take naproxen for the headaches. Oh and as i lurked i saw on another thread about tramadol. I still get some back pain and sciatic nerve will flare at times. I have tramadol from my old pcp so i will ask my doc if it's safe for me to take if the aleve doesn't cut it... once again it is such a huge relief to have someone to talk to about all this. My boyfriend loves me but he 's not going through this or has ever been addicted to anything...and ppl can be very judgemental so this site kicks ass as a place to vent and not feel so isolated.. thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Hat, that's great advice.. HoneyBee, I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but since we were both kind of finding what dose works best for us I figured it kind of fit in with yours..

Like you, I'm messing around trying to get the best way to cut my intake (from 2 strips to one and a half for me)... Hat was right on the money when she said that some dr's tell us to take them thru out the day.. Mine told me to cut down anyway I could -he recommended I try taking halves 3 times per day.. That will get me down to one and a half (12MG ?), where he wants me, but it does reinforce the addictive behavior.. I don't take them for pain, only addiction..

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing of your success (and any set backs, God forbid) and how you do it.. Every little bit helps when we're learning to get a hold on our recovery.. :-)

Post subject: @groovin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey no problem.. hijack away! I hope that's what this forum is about..getting answers and support. At the time I was so sick with W/D i didnt do a lot of research before starting sub. Now I'm learning this is a bit of a complicated med with definite side effects involved. As far as taking sub for pain...even though I started taking percocet for pain, obviously i became addicted and needed help with my dependence on percocet. The truth is physical therapy and other non narcotic methods is what would have helped heal me. all perc did was mask my pain and i used it as a crutch and eventually I was taking WAAY more than needed for my pain..in there lies my addiction issue :wink: . so I wish you the best as well and i hope we get our stable dosage at the least amount... I totally agree trying to take pieces through the day reinforce addictive behavior.. it's tough to break habits... but We are here and working on getting better and without sounding like a cheeseball.. it's one step and one day at a time