It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:02 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

@the peeps thinking of changing to a meth clinic for pain and addiction

remember- methadone only kills pain for up to 6 hrs. if one has addiction accompanied with chronic pain, a clinic is NOT the answer. it does keep withdrawls at bay because of the long half life...if one expects pain relief 15 hrs after dosing-forget it!

for the most part they are dirty and usually people sell their doses(take homes) or other drugs in the parking lots. Not always, but many have blatant criminal activity going on and is not an optimal environment for recovery

I think the best bet would be to go to PM and be completely honest about your problem.
I'm no Dr. and this is JMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I honestly don't know much about methadone, but saying it's pain properties only last 6 hours makes sense to me. People who take methadone for pain can get it from a doctor's office in pill form and then are able to take it every 6 hours - and least that's as I understand it.

For me, I have chronic pain (which led me to opiates in the first place) and take suboxone for that as well as addiction - and it does help the pain. But I have to dose 2-3 times a day, because sub's pain properties also only last on average about 6 hours.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: yeah, what she said
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, before I started Sub, the pain doc offered to prescribe me Methadone. It was going to be a script, not something I had to go get everyday. My MIL is on Methadone for RA and she gets a script too. If you take Sub for pain, which I ended up doing, you do have to take it throughout the day and the more accurately you space your doses, the better. I found it wasn't fantastic for pain, but it helped to a point.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: @ pain patients on bupe
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

That's good to know. I deal with chronic pain as well as addiction. I take methadone from PM. It kills pain for up to 6 hrs and is very effective. I know the bupe conversion of 8mg is = to 30-40mg of methadone. @pain patients on bupe- Does taking (3) 8 mg strips/tabs feel like 90-100mg of methadone?or does the ceiling effect put a hault to this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've never taken methadone, so I can't answer your question. However I've heard often that methadone is MUCH better for pain than suboxone. In fact, suboxone isn't a great pain med overall. It's kind of the last option when we can't take full agonists anymore. At least that's the way it is for me.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.