It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Has anybody has an experience where someone knocks you for still being chemically dependent on a substance because your prescribed suboxone????? No matter what i seem to say, i get this all the time. The reason i take suboxone is the same as everyone else. I can sit here and tell a bunch of crazy stories about my time using, but i dont see a point in that. We're all on this drug for one reason or another, those reasons always seeming to be remarkably....the same. :) Anyway, comments would be nice. Let me know if anyone gets hassled by a friend, family member, or even a roomate for being on suboxone. Anyone who's heard, "Your just switching one addiction to another". Man does that tend to tick me off. When the truth of the matter is, suboxone doesn't give me a buzz, it allows me to function. It's simply meant to slowly get me out of a terrible mess that i once started. It's a miracle drug. The way i feel now, compared to my daily addiction prior, is remarkably better.

Any comments or similar stories would be great. Thanks for reading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Seriously, fuck those people.

I haven't had anyone give me any lip about Suboxone because I don't tell anyone about it. I've been on various psych meds for like 20 something years and I've heard about as much as I can take about how I'm just using it as a crutch, I should just snap out of it, I don't really need those medications, they are for the weak, blah blah fucking blah.

Nowadays everybody and their mother is on SSRIs or anti-anxiety meds so nobody thinks twice about it. Someday it will be that way for Suboxone too. It's just a matter of time.

My advice is don't let people bait you into discussing the merits of the recovery path you've chosen. Everybody's got an opinion and most of them are not very well informed. Just say it works for you and leave it at that.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

People fear what they do not know.They need to be educated before they judge! Be proud of your decision to change!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:13 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Diary of a Quitter wrote:

I haven't had anyone give me any lip about Suboxone because I don't tell anyone about it. I've been on various psych meds for like 20 something years and I've heard about as much as I can take about how I'm just using it as a crutch, I should just snap out of it, I don't really need those medications, they are for the weak, blah blah fucking blah.

Nowadays everybody and their mother is on SSRIs or anti-anxiety meds so nobody thinks twice about it. Someday it will be that way for Suboxone too. It's just a matter of time.

My advice is don't let people bait you into discussing the merits of the recovery path you've chosen. Everybody's got an opinion and most of them are not very well informed. Just say it works for you and leave it at that.

I whole-heartedly agree. Just don't tell em'. Not any of thier business anyway IMO. I don't even tell the ER docs if pain meds arent involved eg: (car crash, dental pain...ect) My motto is "If it apply let it fly"
~C.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:00 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I get someone in my life every now and again stating that I am just "trading a drug for a drug", or "someone's---brother's---sister's---boyfriend's---ex-girlfriend's---cousin's---mother's---father-in-law's---stepdaugher's---second husband's kid's---best friend's---aunt....uses suboxone illegaly and gets high from them so you must be getting high from them too". I am like come on! Gimme a break! Beside, usually the ones who are getting high don't get the suboxone from a doctor but from the street, aren't serious about treatment one bit if they are seeing a doctor, and mostly newbies in the opiate roller coaster ride with minimal tolerance.....just MY opinion, I am a recovering addict, not an expert of any sort.

Don't get me wrong, all my family and friend's who know I am in sub treatment are supportive. But my friend and his girl always have stupid shit to say every now and then. It doesn't bother me to the point to where I am gonna snap. But it does piss me off. I start running down the list of facts, but its in one ear and right out the other.

Good Luck!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was just about to type up the exact same question! More or less. I go to outpatient support groups twice a week and my Tuesday group ended at 3p.m. Well, everyone there knows I am on the Suboxone program and I've never had any problems with negative feedback via any of the staff or most of the clients except for this one person. When it was my turn to speak I began to say how happy and proud of myself I was for coming on nearly an entire year of sobriety. (my sobriety birthday is February 28th) most everyone there was supportive and happy for me except for this one person who said; "If you're still on Suboxone," (they know I am on the Suboxone Program), "than you're not really clean so you don't have a year yet. You don't even have one day." Those words were rolling around and around in my head all the rest of the day and had me fuming inside and couldn't wait until I got home to write this up on Suboxone Talk Zone forums and read other people's experiences with this to get it off my chest and clear my head. I know that it's not this person's fault for not understanding things. I know there are a lot of conflicting information about Suboxone and recovery and different people have different opinions but like I said to this person; "Suboxone is a not a drug to get high with, it's a tool to help me achieve my goals of being and staying clean and sober along with different aspects of the counseling I go to." There is a huge difference in my life now than it was before I got on Suboxone and began working my program. Before, it was E.R. hopping every few days, stealing money from people, conning Doctors into writing bigger and better 'scripts, going through it all just to keep from going through withdrawals and feel some semblance of normalcy and the list just goes on from there. Since I've been on Suboxone I've been doing so well with my life and I know that with the lowering of my Suboxone dosage and the tools I gain from my groups and therapies that I will be able to counter any urges I may get in the future once I am completely off of Suboxone. I do know there will be urges, but thanks to the changes in my life and lifestyle I know how to deal with them better than I would have known how in the past. So, I'll try not to allow the nay sayers to get the way of my life and progress and route of my recovery and I hope none of you do either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you and congrats on coming up to a year. I am in AA and I dont share I am o suboxone...I have been alcohol free almost 4 years....Fuck those people...do what works for you. I used to hold resentments against people in AA and drink......I am past that now..and my life is better now that I have dealt with my opiate additction with sub. There are plenty of self rightous ones in AA/NA that know what is best....I have realized that I must do what is best for me not them. my recovery doesnt have to be thiers.......we in 12 step programs know who those people are and I just ignore them...I am happy..I have money..and I dont worry about the cops and I dont worryabout 12 steppers who take my inventory......I am happy for you....pray that they can be the same........

Post subject: just fixing a type-o
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:55 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

CC_Rider wrote:
Diary of a Quitter wrote:

I whole-heartedly agree. Just don't tell em'. Not any of thier business anyway IMO. I don't even tell the ER docs if pain meds arent involved eg: (car crash, dental pain...ect) My motto is "If it DON'T apply then let it fly"
(I had a type-o I needed to fix plus I thought a reineration wouldn't be a bad thing anyway.)
~C.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree. If I go back on it the only person I am telling is my husband. He is a vault. The rest of them judge including my family doctor, therapist, parents, etc. Why does everyone think to white nuckle it is so much better. Even my husband right now would rather see me do NOTHING than go back on suboxone. He said to give it a couple months and see how I feel. When I jumped off at 12 mg my Mom was so proud of me. She was telling me how her clinic won't take the class to prescribe it and they don't want to. BUT they dish out oxycontin like there is no tomorrow. In fact almost ALL of their patients are on narcotics (low income medical clinic). So WTF are they thinking?!? American culture has issues with this. I said to my husband tonight "if you felt like committing suicide would you feel guilty about taking your wellbutrin and instead force yourself to go to daily meetings with strangers every day and discuss it"?

Post subject: It starts with you
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It all starts with you! If you answer to YOU then only you need to be comfortable with your decision. People will treat you the way you let them. Arent there some people in your life, or you have come across where you have immediately felt that it would be a bad idea to mess with that person? some other people spell doormat all over their faces? If someone gives you a hard time, but YOU are secure in your reasons and your decision you can respond and end the conversation in one sentence... "I appreciate your concern, but I answer to me, and I have made the choice that is best for my mental and physical health". If the person continues to either question you or berate your choice, do not continue the back and forth and assume that they are right and you are wrong which immediately puts you on the defense. No need to yell, no need to get anxiety ridden, just look them directly in they eye, speak quietly but with conviction and feel self assured, so you will project self assured that the conversation is not welcome. Life has to be more than just staying sober, whether it is through a program or through sub, and if sub helps you manage your opiate addiction, great! move on to other things that make you proud and feel good in your life, goals, dreams, families, vacations! I believe that those who get flustered by other peoples comments still feel a certain level of guilt and shame about taking the sub themselves. Remember, turn inward before you turn outward... I am proud of everyone who has taken steps to get sober, get happy and live your life! Have a great day everyone!

MW

Post subject: Its my choice...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:30 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi All
I don't currently go to NA so I don't know the feelings there although I here they frown upon any RX help with Recovery??
I do however go to an AA meeting every day. I choose to keep my Suboxone use to myself! I come from the school of thought that its no ones Biz. how I am going about my Recovery as long as I am Recovering!!! I am also prescribed Campral witch is supposed to help with the Alcohol cravings, But I always forget to take it!!! That shows how much I need it.. I do however take my Suboxone faithfully (16mgs.) everyday.... Anyways just wanted to put my 2 cents in. :mrgreen: I hope all is well...

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm gonna have to agree with Diary and CC rider here, I just don't care what anyone wants to say about me taking Suboxone. They don't know how close I've been to dying, they don't know ANYTHING about all the suffering we go through it is exactly the same for someone to say that I cancer patient is weak because they're taking meds to try and save their lives and reduce their suffering. Sad thing is, or well maybe it's a good thing that non opiate addicts don't know the truth. Like so many other people they just assume that because something happens a t.v. show or a movie that's reality lol! If someone on a movie can stop doing opiates without medication why can't you? That's the same as saying that Spiderman can climb walls and shoot webs yet why can't you? I really came to an important conclusion a little while back I was making life so complicated caring what others think. I just want to stay alive and be able to at least make an attempt to experience enough good things in life that they can balance out the bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah, I don't tell anyone that isn't someone that I'm close to and I care alot about. I have told only my imdiate family, my ex-girlfriend (drug use tore us appart) and a couple of very close friends. I haven't even told my older brother because he has never touched any drugs and he has probably only been drunk once or twice. I just don't see him knowing helping our relationship. Everyone I have told has been very supportive. Even my ex-girlfriend who hated my drug use and told me more than once that she "didn't want to be with someone who had to take drugs to be happy". She called me the other day and was like "OMG! They have this girl on Celebrity Rehab who takes the same stuff as you! That's cool!"
lol! She means well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am sure it could seem like I am talking out both sides of my mouth at times but I haven't necessarily made up my mind on everything. What I was thinking today was that I have anger at myself for even considering going back on it. Even though I know the stats and I know it is my life and my business, there is always that little voice in my mind saying "pussy...you should be able to do better than that". Then I will think the only reason I want to go back on it is because of my addict mind not wanting to just "accept life on life's terms" crap.

Given I feel this way and I did extremely well on suboxone, I can only imagine how other people feel and think who just don't know what it is like and who don't understand. On the one hand we are a culture of pill takers for one reason or another (opiates or not) and at the same time everyone wants to act like they aren't the one who needs the pills but everyone seems to have them in their medicine cabinet.

I'm rambling now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 am 
Oh jackcrack...ramble away!! Who could blame you right now for feeling unsure as to what to do? You've been through a lot here lately.
I occassionally question my decision to start Suboxone. I kind of go back and think about the fact that I had gotten "clean" off the opiates for a little bit and had not gotten back into full-blown active addiction at all before I made the decision to start Suboxone. So I wonder from time to time if I had just gutted things out a little longer, perhaps the darkness would've lifted and all would be well. Then I wake up!!!! lol!! Seriously....if I'm going to be honest with myself, I've got to admit how miserable I was, how pathetic my existence felt, how worthless I felt to those who love me.....just pure misery. Suboxone lifted that darkness. It has given me a chance to function, to think, to feel normally again, and to get my mind right again. I feel like it may ultimately turn out that it is a transition tool into eventual drug-free living. But on the other hand, it may be a maintenance medication that I need indefinitely, maybe forever.
Here's the thing though, I think MWflorida is right......We have to answer to ourselves first and foremost. So really, there is nothing to gain by getting all wrapped up about what others think of your Sub use. There are only a few people in my life (besides you guys) who know I'm on this medication. It's none of their business. They know what they need to know - I'm in recovery and I'm getting better! I'm living well, functioning well, and am reasonably happy. What more evidence do you need?
Hang in there jackcrack - I know you're struggling with these decisions. Try to do what's best for you - it's your life!

Post subject: one more thing...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

one of the biggest gifts the subutex has given me, in addition to staving off withdrawals and giving me a pharmaceutical safety against using again is that I can have a life where I think of things OTHER THAN PILLS... only you can make the choice that is right for you, but dont you ever sometimes look around and think how much of your day is comsumed by thinking aobut pills? when you are on them, you are forever counting, planning, worrying,plotting, scheming etc... with the sub you are content physically and emotionally but are still thinking about the pills and when you will get off... one of the best parts about me deciding early on to stay on subutex long term is that the entire topic of pills is gone - unless I choose to discuss things here! You all are amazing, strong, smart, resourceful individuals and should do whatever you feel is a good decision for YOU! screw everyone who does not support your intelligence and conviction of your choices...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey, I'm Alicia.
Yeah I have that problem too. I don't like getting any lip for taking my suboxone too, because I'm NOT using anymore, so aren't they PROUD of me for that?!! It makes me mad but hurts my feelings more! :?

Post subject: yeah...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:44 pm 
My parents (who I live with) are extremely supportive of my Suboxone use, because they see firsthand the difference between me taking the Suboxone and me in active addiction. My sister and her husband (who are big-time social drinkers with hundreds of bottles of expensive wines in their cellar) are not as supportive (Hypocracy, anyone?). Unfortunately, they are Evangelical and view chemical dependency as a moral issue rather than a medical issue. I think that that is the big distinction here: The twelve-steppers and religious people tend to view using drugs as a morally wroing choice, whereas the newer research and medical experts are revealing that it is in fact a chronic medical illness just like diabetes or heart disease. And in my opinion, the fact that Suboxone is so dramatically effective proves that the medical model of treatment is the correct way to go.

Believe me, I got on my knees and prayed almost every day for more than 10 years, desperately, for God to help me to stop using opioids. I tried AA, NA, got sponsors, joined countless church-based drug "treatment" ministries, went through two 28 day inpatient drug programs, completed a six-month inpatient drug program, and four multiple-month outpatient drug programs. ALL OF IT DIDN'T HELP ME STOP USING OPIOIDS ONE DAMN BIT. Then, ready to give up and die six months ago, I tried Suboxone. Now, six months later, I NO LONGER HAVE ANY DRUG CRAVINGS OR A DESIRE TO USE AT ALL. PERIOD. I've turned my life around, and I'm building a new life that is more wonderful than I ever could have imagined. And I just dare anyone to tell me that Suboxone isn't "real" recovery, because I tried their goddamn "real" recovery, and it didn't do shit. Suboxone saved my life, and I'm planning on staying on it the rest of my life.
james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

James great post I agree with everything u wrote!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

I am basically very new to this treatment- and I firmly use the word treatment because I believe like every one else that I tried and I tried to stop using but always found a reason as to why I needed to use just for that day.

BUT all that has changed I found suboxone and for the very first time I have a reason ,,,,,, a reason to continue. I stopped thinking about how I can steal from my wife $$$ and started to actually think how I can love again. 2 months ago I would have called you crazy but today I am on the right path.

The biggest thing for me is to realize that you are not alone. If you are not an addict then our comments make no sense to you- but for all those that have taken empty beer bottles back searched the car floors to obtain enough money/change to get an 80mg know.