It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good on you, Marie...I feel the same way.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

YAAA.. I agree marie-hat. i'm not going to blame suboxone, for what other meds or drugs may have cosed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

i don't knock Diabetics for insulin use, or cancer patients for Chemotherapy use. And I highly doubt anyone else does too.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: It's a Tool
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:45 am 

Sub to me is just a recovery tool I can use to hold off my active addiction while I put my broken life back together. Of course I will have to go through some withdrawals when the time comes, but by then I will have tapered slowly so my body can adjust to each dose drop comfortably. It may take up to a year of tapering before I jump.

And if by chance my w/d symptoms are bad, so be it. They won't be as bad as coming off all those drugs I was taking before induction. Can I really fool myself into thinking that I could just abuse myself so hard for so long and not pay the piper? Nothing in life is free. If it is, it's not appreciated because I didn't earn it.

So now ya'll got my 2¢

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy42287 wrote:
First off cool thread.

You posted the one thing that makes me so mad. All we did was switch one drug to another. when i hear that i just want to scream out loud. when i was takeing oxy for 3 years at a 160mg i lost total control of my life then got on suboxone going on 3 years and got all my life back. so what you rather have me take oxy then suboxone cause all im doing is takeing another drug well this other drug has got my life back and has also help many people like myself who couldnt do it on their own. so people just need to learn to shut up sometimes. only a true pill addict could understand what we are going threw an all the people that say this stuff to me havent even taken a hydro codone so wtf do they know.

Agreed. I continue on suboxone regardless of what anyone says or current trends. I've seen both sides of this stuff. Not a good time.

I do however also see where NA is coming from. It's their rules. We have to respect that. Also. They ARE technically cleaner than we are. They do this recovery things with no assistance whatsoever. So I have to give credit to them there.

I just really enjoyed reading this old thread.
Shows how much things/people change.

Good read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Movie Maker, this is a good thread to bring back, considering it has had over 11,000 views.

Maybe some of the posters from 3 years ago could weigh in with an update or if their views have changed.

I too have noted a change in tone and topic over the past 5 months. PAX

[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Agreed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I met a girl 2 weeks ago and was instantly blown away by her. I have been holding out for the right one for just over a year. Not searching, being patient, no sex even. Here she come's along and i'm so excited. We talk and talk, we have so much in common its insane. "Finally!" I think to myself.

Well we get a little more personal in our conversation after the first week and I explain my recovery. My successful recovery so far. She explained that it would have upset her if I hid that from her. I explained I had no reason to..that I couldn't be with someone who wasn't supportive. She seemed to understand. Until suddenly, the conversation changed.

I became someone; in her eyes,; who had some extraordinary struggles in life. (I didn't think that's how I came across)

She continued to say, in the nicest way possible, that my struggles were the red flag that was grounds for termination.

I felt a sharp pain. A familiar one. Feelings of rejection from the past that still linger below. It was ok though. 3 days of bumming and i'm good as new. It really wasn't much of a loss as she had 3 kids and from my experience, being a single 30yo guy and trying twice in the past, that situation just isn't for me. But damn we could have been really good friends.

People generally seem to fear what they don't understand. And that's ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:01 am 

Whether or not it was best in the end not to be in a relationship with her, that still blows and I'm really sorry. It's hard to feel a connection with someone and then be let down because you have "too much life experience". Although I can understand her being cautious because she has three kids, it should have been a mark in your favor that you were so up front and honest. Her loss, dude. Take care. :)

Amy

Post subject: Dating and Recovery
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:47 pm 

Way back in the day when I first got sober from alcohol, I heard many times in the rooms of AA that when dating, one should not bring it up until the third date. That way the person gets to know before you drop the bomb. If you both are a good match then it's time to come clean about your addiction.

That was my intention when I had my first date with my current wife. We were just ordering our drinks when she asked me if I had a drinking problem. Say what?? I asked her why she thought so and she said that she found it odd that I smoked cigarettes and ordered an ice tea. So much for the third date! I had to come clean as honesty is one of the biggies in AA. I don't think it was because she had a masters degree in psychology. It was more of just plain common sense. We've been married 23 years now.

Remember, third date. No more, no less. It's not fair to the other person.

Post subject: Re: Yep
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

tiffannsoli30 wrote:
Everyday my family are ignorant to the effects of suboxone and do not "get it" .Suboxone helps protect me from becoming an obsessive pill head. I have a doctor that charges me $75 a month through my insurance . I pay only $35 for a 30 day supply of strips,which I love more than tabs, . I feel normal .I'm starting nursing school this summer getting a part time job. I exercise. My ex husband ,were trying to get back together, hates that I take it. He does not want to even see the strips in my mouth. He is uneducated about this and has no desire to understand . I stay sick for weeks every time I try to stop,my house becomes a mess,I lay in bed.I go insane I want to take anything to make the pain stop.

I want at least my mom to go to my net visit to understand what suboxone really is.

I thank god for this forum a because some NA groups do not consider "subies" ,as they cal me recovered.

I do loathe the abusers of suboxone.

Tiff, I am in your shoes completely. I came out to my husband first, told him that I was an addict and then I called my mother while she was in Indiana visiting family. When I made the doctors visit, I knew that I would need help with the first month because my husband didn't get paid until the next week and we wanted to get this ball rolling quickly. We went over to Mom's and explained how I came to be like this and what we are going to do about it and she "seemed" to understand at first. As time went on and I kept going to the doctors appointments, she quit understanding at all. She acts now like its a way for me to get attention, there are people that I have told along the way and when I run into one of them with Mom I will tell them how I am doing. Its like she gets upset that I am doing so well. She doesn't understand or care to even go to a meeting, read any type of information, watch any videos NOTHING. She thinks that it is completely stupid for me to pay 300 dollars a month ( cant get insurance unless I pay 500 a month for it) for a doctors visit and the money that we pay for the medicine. She had the nerve to come out and say well, you should stop going to that doctor and put that money towards a car payment or a house payment. My husband was sitting in the backseat of the van and said as long as she is healthy and not sick or a slave to pills, she is going to that doctor. Now that my doctor will let me go every other month, things will be a lot cheaper and different. She still doesn't care, she wants that money that I use to go to the doctor for her benefit. TO show just how she is, when it came time for my husband to start getting checks she wanted me to give her our check every other week so she could distribute our money out to us. When my first husband and I were together, she tried everyway in the world for me to file income taxes the first year with them and they would give me the difference come to find it out they were shorting us out of 500 dollars and knew about it. Her car that she is trying to sell, she offered it to us for 2500 dollars and is nowhere worth it, her grandson got it scott free and our vehicle is in much worse shape than the one that he was driving.
She does things like this for no apparent reasoning. She is getting more and more greedy by the day. She doesn't care for anyone but the one that she lives with and his kids/grandkids. I asked her back last week to borrow her vehicle and I would put the gas in it, she said ok because they were going out of town and we had to watch the house anyways. Well, the night before I call to make sure and she claims that she is taking some kids to the gravestone of their great grandfather. I told her well you knew that I needed the van, I was just calling to reassure that I had to go tomorrow and she stuttered around and told us well you can drive Tylers truck which is the vehicle that he left at home and took her car. Mothers are weird, mine is especially. I completely understand what you are going through, if I go to speak about anything with my doctor or medicine she changes the subject completely. She will either get up and leave the room or just talk about something else. It is extremely hurtful, I feel like I am doing well and she will not even acknowledge it. Sorry for going on, I have a lot of anger towards my mother.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hiya Everyone,

I don't hide my suboxone use from anyone who knows about my codeine addiction no other than I would hide that I'm on 40mg citralopram (celexa). Taking suboxone is nothing to be ashamed of. As to where I am clean or not I'm not sure but I know that when my Dad said he was proud of me I didnt feel proud as I had not gone through withdrawal but those are my issues to work through.
The first weekend being on suboxone I remember feeling FREEDOM!!! I spent the weekend doing stuff with my child like taking her to the park, a long walk along the canal n to an indoor soft play park.
It was lovely to live my life as normal n function not clockwatching for pills. And when my parents were helping me taper, was the most stressful time of my life n I NEVER want to go that again.
I am now working on sorting myself out.

In my opinion, we're all different n I think the people who say stuff are not necessarily being nasty - they just lack knowledge n information re suboxone. And also there are lots of theories. The NA (please correct me if I'm wrong) focuses on abstinence as a way of getting n staying clean. So people are not necessarily being mean or argumentative, they are simply following---and believing in the theory to which they have chosen to help them recover.

Different strokes for different folks, eh?!!!

Take care,
Evey x

Don't one day, SAY TODAY!
There is always a solution to the problem