It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been on Sub for 3 1/2 years now, it has been working good for me. For the first year i was on a program that actually paid for my whole script, after that it was worst but still not bad. My doctor was at our local health center, and i was able to get on a scale system, where everything was based on income, it cost me alot then , but still was able to pay for my meds.

Now my doctor has moved to his own office, and i see him there. My visit price doubled going from $25 to now $50 just for the visits and to get my script. then i have to go pay for my script, full price out of pocket. Im close to $300.00 a month now just to stay on my sub.

Im having serious doubts about staying on Sub, i mean it has been very helpful, and im very glad i started using it. But, (yes here comes the But) I haven't used hard drugs in years, i started treating myself off the street buying methadone, and using that for years. not getting high , just not being sick.

Heres the question, if i can buy methadone off the street for $60.00 a month and do basically the same thing the sub is doing for me know, where is the benefit of staying on sub. Other than the dreaded street chancing of drugs, and legal complications.

Know i know that Sub is the way to go, i really don't want to go back to street drugs, and dont want top promote the idea, but does anyone one else see the point im trying to make? I just cant afford $300.00 a month! I don't know what to do? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The risks you would take by buying Methadone off the street FAR outweigh the $300 price tag of Suboxone.

All you have to do is get caught ONCE buying Methadone and then you'd basically be screwed.

I understand your thought process, but for reasons I've stated above, I think your thought process is wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 pm 
I think you should stick with it. I am on the free year of subs currently. I KNOW how pricey it gets when i have to pay 150 for a doc appointment to be seen every month. and i was paying about 300 for the script aswell. Trust me, i know where your coming from. I know it's a little late since you are trying to jump around to street done. BUT, I think the most economical way to use sub is to use between 2-4 mg's a day. If you can make one sub last you four days. (or longer) I think you would be in great shape. And i will soon face this issue aswell when my free year of subs comes to a end. Hopefully i will be maintaining on such a modest dose to.

Maybe that helps, But rationalizing costs and jumping to street done is NOT a good idea. Just my opinion.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree bad idea. Good idea is to get as low as you can as said above... IMHO I have tapered slowly from 8mg down to .25mg and I didn't really notice much of a difference until about 2mg per day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know exactly how you feel. Over the past two days I have been calling every doctor that I can find that offers Suboxone treatment to see if any one writes Subutex. The Here to Help program you only get for a year, which is good and then its a year before you can sign up again. I know some people are off in this length of time, but some of the rest of us just arent ready to come off in that time frame. Subutex would be a cheaper route to go if you can find a doctor in your area that will write it. I live in KY, and it is terribly hard to find a doctor that will write it even if you have no insurance.
I think that the doctors should atleast have a little compassion for those who cant get insurance, I was denied tonight by BCBS.The state insurance Kyaccess is crazy expensive as well. Something else that you might want to try is calling around to different pharmacies to see if you can save anything. Most of the pharmacies there wont be that big of a difference, but then again the difference between my pharmacy and Kroger/Walmart/Kmart is 3 bucks a strip. My pharmacy charges anywhere from 7.50 to 8.00 a strip. Its still expensive but its better than 11 bucks a strip hands down.
I have been looking also for just a pharmacy plan whether it be discount or whatever is out there but there are none that I can find. Those discount cards from what the woman at CVS told me, said that they dont help compared to their cash price which was 7.50 at the one that I called.
At one point in time, I self medicated off the streets to keep from being sick and that is NO LIFE to live. The constant worry of being caught, even though we were getting them from someone else who was getting them for me. There is still alot of risk,loosing money and then those people getting caught as well. You dont want to spend a few months or years whatever the length is,for one screw up.
I even contemplated Methadone clinics because I heard that it was cheaper than Suboxone. Well around here that isnt true. The weekly fee is 95 bucks and then there is a lab fee, which I believe they told me was 85 bucks. That is once a month for the lab fees. It is also a 65 mile drive to the Methadone clinic and that is a everyday drive. That for me is not in the cards. I think it is ridiculous that they make you go in every stinking day. Why cant they do it once a week? I mean they should realize if you screw up and take too much, you are going to be hurting before the next visit.
Anyways, dont go back to the streets to get this taken care of. There is Naltrexone,its not for everyone but maybe do some research on it and see if that might help you. It is alot cheaper than the Suboxone and some people do use it.
Ask your doctor to see if he would write a cheaper alternative being Subutex, that will help alot right there.
The price difference around here is astoundingly different. Strips cost 8 bucks a piece, Subutex costs 2.50 a pill.
Just please dont go back to the streets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:44 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been trying to cut back for sometime now, i just cant seem to get down below 1 tab a day. I always end up taking the second half at some point in the day. :( Its so frustrating!!!

I have no intentions of going back to Dones, I know that would be a bad choice. It just really kinda pisses me off that they make a drug to help us addicts, and then they make it so damn expensive, that it actually cost me more than when i was using!

I have Been on Subs for 4 years, the first year was the Here-to-Help program.. Can people actually reapply to that program? I assumed it was a 1 time thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Isn't it so ironic how we or at least I never considered what the original poster has stated. While taking my drug of choice. I mean, In my own little way I would and could justify, My actions. Just sayin.

Snake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

From my experience what you can do is buy what you can afford. Walgreens at least in my town will allow you to get what
You can afford up to 4 or 5 times. I don't remember if the script counts as a refill but anyway you can get what you can up to say

4 times then on the 5th time you have to either get the rest or lose the whole script.

CVS in my town will and would let me get 3 to 4 tabs at a time up until my script was used. I was at 45 tabs now I'm down to 30.

My dr does write for generic subs and I have sense switched to Walgreens again because I hate the new pharmacists. The fill ins don't give me problems but the main one does. Also I just found out that my local Walgreens carries the HI-Tech brand which
I like better then the Roxane labs brand.

Anyway I'm at 30 tabs a month which comes to a cash price of $110 at CVS and $111 and change at Walgreens.

Point being, is get what you can afford until you can get a full months worth without draining your accounts.

Snake