All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is what I found for the cause of PAWS:

Quote:
The syndrome may be in part due to persisting physiological adaptions in the central nervous system manifested in the form of continuing but slowly reversible tolerance, disturbances in neurotransmitters and resultant hyperexcitability of neuronal pathways. The symptoms of post acute withdrawal syndrome occur because the brain's ability to react to stress has been weakened by long-term substance use. Stressful situations arise in early recovery, and the symptoms of post acute withdrawal syndrome produce further distress. It is important to avoid or to deal with the triggers that make post acute withdrawal syndrome worse.

Now, I'll admit this is only Wikipedia, but it illustrates what I had thought was the cause of PAWS - not from the active addiction per se, but from the brain still trying to "bounce back" from all that substance use and/or abuse.

Just my two cents on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-acute ... l_syndrome

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had a nasty cocaine habit that stretched years and years, when I quit coke.....I felt better after just a few days and I certainly don't remember any kind of PAWS from coke? I remember having dreams of using coke after I quit, but nothing I would call PAWS? Then again, I was 29 years old when I quit doing coke. I was 43 when I quit opiates. My physical and mental state of being from 29 years of age to 43 years of age were QUITE different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Hat,

That blurb you posted about PAWS is THEE best description of how I've been feeling for a long while now. I was telling a friend of mine just last night that I feel like I have the emotional maturity of a 12 year old. It's kinda strange because this "immaturity" doesn't invade every aspect of my life, it is still very present with regards to my interpersonal skills, though.

I know this, my inability to deal with stress has improved greatly over the last year. I've seen improvements in several other areas of my life, as far as dealing with stress go, thank goodness for that!!! Knowing I'm moving forward keeps giving me the drive to keep after it.

Thank you everyone for discussing this subject of PAWS/living life without drugs......it's helped me a lot. It gets pretty damn frustrating being so emotionally stunted and waiting for that shit to get better. It's always nice to know that I'm not in this boat alone. Somehow, knowing I'm not the only one dealing with this crap makes me feel better??

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
I had a nasty cocaine habit that stretched years and years, when I quit coke.....I felt better after just a few days and I certainly don't remember any kind of PAWS from coke? I remember having dreams of using coke after I quit, but nothing I would call PAWS? Then again, I was 29 years old when I quit doing coke. I was 43 when I quit opiates. My physical and mental state of being from 29 years of age to 43 years of age were QUITE different.

Dreaming of drugs is a symptom of PAWS.

Maybe each drug has its own symptoms?

I might throw a bit of a curve ball here, and I acknowledge that I'm spinning bad on the treatment atm and haven't slept for some time.

But is it possible that every dream and every thought we have is neurochemical? ie every symptom of PAWS, every feeling of insecurity in early recovery, is also our brain recovering from the onslaught of chemicals? But we also gotta recovery from the symptoms of being in addiction too? Like in the endless cycle of repetitive behaviours? That can take some time to recover from. It takes time to recover from the shit we've done to our families and friends. Every time in addiction we go against our values and do something, like steal or lie, we're actually changing our brain for the negative, and it takes time for us to re-learn morals and get over our regrets, and for our brain to recover and relearn the way it's meant to be without drugs?

Kinda like johnboy said. When you break ur arm, it's really painful at first (acute withdrawal), but the lil fracture also takes months or years to heal as much as it can, and even then there's still a bit of a mark, or imprint, or "memories" of the trauma for the rest of our life. ie our addiction will always influence who we are?

I know I'm getting real philosophical and spun here. Haven't slept a coupla days. No I'm not on drugs, well technically I am but.. not fun drugs! :lol:

Why do I get the feeling I'm saying something that everyone else thinks is really obvious :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i no one fact'. most all alcoholics in recovery, go through 1 -2 years of P.A.W.S. i went through it about 17 years ago.
i can remember just feeling down depres- in the slumps, nothing to do' and did not want to do anything.
my friends family were all ways telling me to wake up and sorta got sick of me. i can also remember sitting in the library
for hour's on end for day's, just could not do nothing. well it just kept draggen on for months. i quit A.A. went back out
and drank and got drunk . so is P.A.W.S from sub's going to be the same?