It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys! This is my first post. I have been reading several of your stories throughout my Suboxone withdrawal process and they have helped me tremendously. Now that I am past the acute phase of withdrawal there are far less post for me to read to help me understand why I feel like I cant seem to get to 100%. I am creating this thread in hopes I will get some responses on others experiences who are further along in recovery than myself. I will tell you a little about my story so you understand where I am at.

I was a 4 year Roxy addict. I finally hit that moment where I had enough of the pain pill addiction lifestyle 3 years ago and decided to find a Suboxone doctor. I convinced my doctor to prescribe me Suboxone and Xanax and over the next year and a half battled a worsening Xanax addiction. A year and a half ago I jumped cold turkey off the Xanax after nearly losing my life in a car accident as a result of taking to much Xanax. The Xanax withdrawal was pure hell but I made it through and allowed myself time to stabilize on only Suboxone over the next year and a half. Then one day out of the blue I looked up suboxone withdrawal videos online and found an inspirational video that flipped that switch in my brain to jump cold turkey off suboxone. I jumped from 8 mgs around 70 days ago. It was hell and I do not recommend it but if you have that epiphany like I did, then just know that it is possible to jump from a high dose. The symptoms are all manageable now and have been since about week 4?? I do still battle with some symptoms unfortunately though and I am starting to get frustrated. My main remaining complaints are lethargy, mild depression, and anxiety. I do not want to scare any people earlier on in recovery or considering jumping because the symptoms are very minor and manageable compared to weeks 1-4. I am just anxious myself to have that feeling of 100% and trying to find others stories who have been through what I am facing who can give me some sort of timeline on what to expect.

Thanks!

Last edited by SouthAlabama on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PAWS Experiences?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have followed a number of people through the process of buprenorphine withdrawal, and the experience varies from one to the other. There seems to be personality differences that affect how things proceed-- although it is difficult to say what is the chicken, and what is the egg... but the people who are always energetic, who work out, and who never seem to get sick will go through the process and say they feel normal in 6-8 weeks. The people who are more inclined toward moodiness, who feel tired if they don't get enough sleep every night, who tend to focus on somatic symptoms have a harder time. But even in those cases, people usually say they feel at or close to normal at 12 weeks.

I have had a couple patients-- maybe 1-2% of the people I've treated-- who had very long, drawn-out symptoms. One person went back on buprenorphine after feeling tired and depressed for over a year. Unfortunately, she didn't really do better back on buprenorphine, and I believe that she had major depression that she never fully got over (she moved from the area eventually and I lost touch with her).

I hear people say that exercise really helps-- as does 'acting as if' you feel better, to pull your mood up. In general, the time a person has to think about withdrawal, the worse it is-- especially in the late part of the process.

Check in and let people know how you are doing-- good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I havent been back on this website in a little while so I just wanted to update everyone. Today is day 113 for me and I feel MUCH better than I did when I originally posted on here. I have gradually been feeling better and better each week since my original post. I feel like the lethargy, depression, and anxiety is all but gone now. For a couple months there I was starting to wonder if I had suffered a stroke or something because I had never experienced PAWS withdrawing from any substance. My brain was so foggy I felt like I could barely put a sentence together which in turn made my anxiety ten times worse. It was crazy. During withdrawals I did the best I could to maintain the life I had built while on Suboxone and I think that has helped me out a lot with getting over PAWS faster than some of these horror stories I have seen online. I work 40 hours a week minimum at a very physical shipyard, played basketball religiously like I have since childhood, and took care of my responsibilities for my family. Some of the weeks I wont lie it was the most miserable experience of my life but I managed to push through when all I wanted to do was curl up in the bed and wait for it to be over. I agree with most on this forum and do think the more busy you can stay throughout this process the better off you will be. I hope those who are going through those miserable times while reading this will find hope from this update. Just like everyone says on here, it will get better just DONT GIVE UP!! :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey SouthAlabama,

Roll Tide! It's great to hear you're doing so well. Wow, jumping from 8mg...that had to be really hard. I'm glad you came back to update us.

Morphing (Central Alabama)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Row Tyde? :shock: All we know is WAR EAGLE over here. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

:wink: Well, we're still impressed with ya! :o

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Morphing! I have not been on here in quiet a while once again so I just wanted to update so people dont think I relapsed or something. I am 8 days away from reaching the big 6 month mark. I have quit obsessing over how I feel constantly many weeks ago now but am having a little trouble falling asleep tonight so I figured why not get on here and hopefully encourage someone to keep fighting. I normally can fall right asleep and sleep very well every night but for some reason tonight I cant get my brain to stop thinking of all the things going on in my life tonight so I am awake a few hours later than usual. I am pretty certain its not withdrawal related though because I have been sleeping GREAT lately. As far as withdrawals go I dont really have any complaints any more with PAWS or anything. I am enjoying life like never before these days. I constantly am on the move now and always wanting to be out enjoying living on the Gulf Coast unlike ever before since I have been on Subs since moving down here. I started this thread because I was freaking out that 2 and 3 months into stopping suboxone I still felt terrible and wanted some answers/support. It just didnt make any sense to me that suboxone withdrawal was still causing the symptoms. I just want to let anyone know who is in that position while reading this DONT GIVE UP and you will feel much better in a little bit more time than you would if you were to go back on suboxone. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:47 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey SouthBama,

I'm glad you came back and posted the update. It sounds like maybe you're just experiencing life...sometimes normal day-to-day stresses can keep us up, without it being the side-effects of something else. I'm really happy for you and the great success you worked to achieve. I'm also a little envious...I love the Alabama Gulf Coast!

Roll Tide,
Morphing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:14 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I felt like I was experiencing PAWS for a few weeks, and it made me feel so anxious. I figured I was doomed to a life of lethargy, weakness, depression, and just overall Blaaaaaahhhhhness. I read a lot about naturally producing endorphins, and I did it all. I listened to my favorite music, had "intimate relations" as much as possible, watched funny movies, listened to my favorite comedians on youtube, played with my kids, exercised even though it sounded like the worst thing to do...ever. I pretty miraculously turned it around. I felt myself coming out of my fog, smiling more, laughing more, feeling more and more hopefully. I'd say after 4 weeks I was doing good. After two months, I was f*#cking great!

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

7 months today! Little bits of the brain fog come and go from time to time when I am speaking in a stressful situation. My joints and bones have aches and pains in them in places I have never had (especially after a day of playing basketball) so I am praying it is still PAWS related so it will go away at some point. :roll: I am noticing that I am feeling better and better as the months go by even though I thought what I felt the month before was pretty much normal. I am happy things just keep getting better but am realizing I have been drugged up for so long I dont think I will know once I have hit normal :lol: All I know is overall life is good these days though and I am glad I have stuck through this process as long as I have. Cant wait to get to that 1 year mark!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm I day 13 I believe after having to abruptly stop because mine got stolen and the doc wouldn't give anymore because i was a month late making a follow up apt. So maybe it's a blessing in disguise for me. What video did you see that gave you your epiphany? I could sure use it. I'm dying to feel how I did 3 years ago. So seems like I'm expecting maybe 2 months of feeling off,tired-ish, down on my mood?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry I am just now noticing your response. I am not on here that often anymore just at random these days. I dont remember exactly which videos I watched that inspired me to quit but they were actually misleading and made it seem like getting off suboxone was easy. Some BS along the lines of 2 weeks of withdrawal and your good to go and back to normal as ever which definitely wasnt the case for me :lol: ... But they did spark up that desire for me to give getting off suboxone a shot. Thats great you have already made it through nearly 2 weeks off. Nobody really knows how you are gonna handle getting off suboxone and whether you will or wont have any PAWS. The best advice I can think of to give you would be to stay busy, exercise, and try not to focus on how you feel constantly. You may feel great in 2 months but also remember if you are still feeling off more than two months down the road that isnt out of the norm either. Had I not done all kinds of research on PAWS and thought that how I felt at 3-4 months was "normal" I probably wouldnt have made it to this point due to the extreme anxiety I had never felt in my life. It all goes away in time though as long as you stick with it so dont give up!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just checking in so folks dont think I fell off track..over 9 months off now...things are going good..no more aches and pains..mental clarity is getting much better..I think my story with PAWS is gonna end very similar to Romeos..if it gets even better from here like his situation did it will be a blessing but I dont really have any complaints these days.