It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm trying to figure out if the Subutex is causing light headedness, fainting, I cannot exercise without almost passing out. Even yard work, walking to the mailbox and up a flight of stairs can make me feel out of breath and light headed..is this the Subutex?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI crossfirez and welcome to the forum,

I'm not a doctor or a medical professional, just an informed recovering addict. I think I read that bupe (active ingredient in both subutex and suboxone) can cause lightheadedness (is that one word? lol).

That said, I've not seen anyone on this forum with that particular side effect. But remember, any medication can cause any side effect. Yours sounds pretty severe. I would recommend you see your doctor about it. It may not be related to the subutex at all. Out of curiosity, how much do you take and for how long?

Let us know how you're doing

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Been on and off for years. I take anywhere from 4mg to 16 mg day, depending how I feel. Tried to go up a flight of stairs today and almost passed out-felt like I just sprinted a mile. Walked from my car to church door, same thing. Could not even bowl with my kids today-out of breath bowling? I'm 37, wtf is going on? Any time I exert any energy, I get winded, light headed and my heart is pounding. I'm going back on my oxy to see if its the subs....this is nuts, I don't even smoke.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"This is nuts" - as you say - but then again, so is going back on oxy! I have never ever heard of Suboxone causing anything even remotely close to these symptoms. Now, if you have taken Suboxone in the past and not experienced this, well then most certainly the chance of it being related to Subs is very low. I actually do have medical training and over 20 years of emergency medical experience. However, to be very clear, I AM NOT a physician. If you go to the ED, they are going to consider and then try to rule out the most lethal causes first. That would likely start with considering heart problems. Most certainly heart issues could cause difficulty breathing and weakness like you are describing. Chest pain is often a component to this but it does not have to be.

There is absolutely no way that anyone can attempt to get to the bottom of your symptoms on a message board - or even on the telephone for that matter. I will not even try. This is something that needs to be addressed. You need to get a work-up by a physician. I'm not saying you need to call 911 and be rushed to the Emergency Department this second but certainly a physical or check-up is in order if this continues. Certainly if you do develop chest pain or tightness in the chest, pass out, get sweaty, etc. it's time to seek help immediately. Suboxone is simply not at all the likely cause of your symptoms - not to the degree that you are describing them anyhow. If you are being accurate in your descriptions and all of this is new onset for you, you really need to get seen by a medical professional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

All I can say is that taking suboxone on the occasion or whatever (not daily) and taking it at the dose of from 4mg to 16mg is not a good idea and no doctor would prescribe it to be taken this way! This is not the way Suboxone is intended to be used nor should be used. Thats all I have to say about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was thinking the same thing Joseph said.
I also agree with donh, but would add that it could be your lungs, too, but I'm no medical professional.
You definitely need to see a doctor about this.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Try keeping on the same mg of dosage everyday. Switching maybe one of the problems of making you sick. You can also try switching over to subutex. The naxlone in suboxone could be making you ill. The best advice i can give is to get into a good rehab that can help you with this problems and taking mediating classes. the brain is a very powerful thing. and with some concentration and deep relaxation you can defeat mental issues.( not saying this is but you'd be surprise how it may help you)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First, I agree with everyone else and strongly encourage you to follow donh's recommendations. I do not think it is the suboxone either, BUT, I will say that when I was OFF sub for a while, and then went back on it, I did have some similar (far more mild) symptoms. My heart would race a litte (while sedentary) and I would get a little light headed. I recall at one point thinking I probably shouldn't have been driving. I also noted that my ankles swelled the first two weeks I was back on it.

Overall, it went away after about a week. All of it went away.

With that being said, my ankles would swell when I was on high doses of oxycontin too. Everyone told me opiates wouldn't cause that either, but I am pretty sure in both cases, it was the oxy and the sub causing it. So I don't know if it was causing a heart problem, water retention, or what it was doing, but it did. And it went away so in my opinion, it certainly isn't worth going back on the oxycontin over.

Note: If you take the suboxone as prescribed (if prescribed at all in your case...not sure) and you stick to a standard dose, it will be a lot easier to determine what side effects are from what and what are symptoms of some other problem. Also, taken regularly, you are a lot more likely to experience the positive effects and lose interest in going back to oxy. If you aren't getting your suboxone from a doctor, you may want to consider doing so.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I found this place for the reason that I was looking for answers along the lines of the one who started this thread. I have been talking 8mg of suboxone 2 times a day for about a year. In about the last 8 months I have started to notice a significant problem now happening in my heart beats. I am not one that has had problems with anxiety and the strange heart beats happens at times when there is NO reason for it. There are times when the heart beats even hurt, I become weak, loose breath.. sometimes it is not all that noticeable.. but I do know when it happens.. other times it is down right scary.

I went to the Dr. one other than my suboxone Dr. Only for this reason. I told my suboxone Dr. and he just blew me off.. The other Dr. did do an EKG I think it was... but only for 30 secs.. maybe it was a min. but either one.. it was not long enough for my heart to do the thing it had been doing. It happens now everyday and I would say it has been getting worse.

I have now found that there is sometimes nothing to trigger this, sometimes there is something.. for one when I get out of the shower and raise my arms to dry my hair with a towel.. it does it.. so then I found it is when I raise my arms sometimes.. then also when I bend over and stand back up.. sometimes.. like I said I do not have a bad anxiety problem.. or use not too.. what I mean by that is that now.. when I get to talking fast.. upset or happy... that is when it happens the worst! SO bad it has made me worried enough that I thought to myself.. I am going to have to call 911. Felt like my heart was literally going to stop. In fact I am not even so sure my heart is beating faster.. it may be beating slower at times.. feels like it is just about to stop sometimes.. BUt I have told my Suboxone Dr. now twice about it.. I went to the other Dr. and I can not seem to get anyone else to get it.

I do worry that there is something wrong. The suboxone is my number one suspect, but maybe it is something else? I know it is not stress or as my suboxone Dr. told me.. my coffee drinking is not it either!

So to the one who started the thread.. I think I too am having the same side effect.. I hope it does not turn out to be some kind of permanent hear damage.

I have been wanting to do some kind of stess test on myself.. get on the treadmill or something.. run up and down the stairs?? but honestly I have been too afraid of what I think would happen and I am stalling. So, I told 2 Dr.s and so now all I know to do is what I have been doing and that is pray that if there is really something wrong that God would bring about a way for it to be made known??

Oh and I have no medical insurance

Thanks guys and I too would like to know if others have had this happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Joseph wrote:
All I can say is that taking suboxone on the occasion or whatever (not daily) and taking it at the dose of from 4mg to 16mg is not a good idea and no doctor would prescribe it to be taken this way! This is not the way Suboxone is intended to be used nor should be used. Thats all I have to say about that.

I just wanted to say that my Dr. has me taking 8mg 2 times a day.. BUT he has me skip days.. has me take half or a quarter.. whenever I can.. in other words. whenever I can take less the my 16mg a day he wants me too.. and being I pay 40 bucks for 5 suboxone.. I try to take less than what I have to as much as I can.. I won't ever get backed off it I don't.. maybe that is the same with the poster..

But I think I get where you are coming from.. more like someone who might be taking it for more in a abusive way.. but there can be other good reasons for not taking the same amount everyday..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

*Update. I have problems like this before. I told my dr. today and she said its possibly mild panic attacks you may be going through. It may not even be during a stressful time during the day. Your mind has a conscious and unconscious side to it, and the unconscious may be bringing up issues to you causing these attacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unless you are having chest pains, then the first thing I would suspect is panic attacks, but I still think going to a doctor is a good idea. It wouldn't surprise me that people tend to attribute this to the suboxone because at the same time you take suboxone, you stop getting high. Getting high was alleviating the anxiety. Suboxone doesn't get you high and therefore isn't going to help you with the anxiety. I am not a doctor, but it would just seem odd that one could handle oxycontin or vicodin, but have issues with suboxone because they are both opiates. So I tend to think it is something else and anxiety can definitely cause all of these things.

My husband was getting really severe anxiety for a while (never had this till he went to Iraq). He would think he was having a heart attack. In the end, after the EKG's, stress tests, etc. it was panic attacks which would then cause acid reflux which was causing the chest pain.

I would strongly suggest also talking to a therapist at the same time as working with your doctor. Maybe look into meditation and the therapist can also give some ideas on what to do when it starts. That will help determine if it is anxiety or something else also.