It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

So for 2 years I've done the same thing, get 60 prescribed to me and fill up half then pick the other half up next week (paycheck day). I've done this without a single problem other than pharmacies running out and having to wait to restock. But not a single issue. Now for some reason I'm being told I can't do this anymore.

The directions are 2 a day so 60 = 30 day supply. I pick up 30 then the other 30 whenever I want. The reason is simply because it's way to expensive to buy all 60 at once. I have to do it like this. My doctor knows and he's fine with it as long as I'm not taking pain killers. However the pharmacy I've been going to for 2 years now says they can't do that anymore. I have to wait the 15 days and pick it up like its a new refill.

Now that wouldn't be problem if we had a 24 hour pharmacy anywhere near here. We don't, so my schedule for work and school as well as my paycheck day is all methodically calculated. If I waited 15 days I wouldn't have the money. Either way I've been doing this for a while and now for some reason out of no where it's "illegal" right...

If I got a new prescription for 60 I couldn't fill that early, I understand that. But this is a partial refill, 60 pills no refill without authorization. I should be able to pick up the rest of the 30 after 72 hours from my pickup date. 60 pills 30 days I follow that rule. Why is this illegal all of the sudden? Or is it illegal? The person who told me I can't says it is but I see no law stating her claims. I see one law and it says partial refill 72 hours. 60 pills for over $300 can't refill early, can't pick up partial refill, can't find this medication anywhere else, required office visit for refills, no calling in refills... this is insane. My addiction to Oxy was less troublesome than this... and it was cheaper too. I'm getting really annoyed.

Is there really a law on partial refills?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't say for certain if it is a new law or not, it may just be your particular pharmacy tweaking their policies. You may want to try another pharmacy and see what they say? I used to fill my scripts like you, also. A) It was expensive to fill the whole thing at once and B) a lot of times the pharmacy didn't even have enough stock to fill them all anyway. I had no problem doing partial fills.. I was given trouble one time when I went to refill the rest of that month's script a few days early and was told I couldn't. She said it was too early and I should still have some, but I was leaving for a trip the following day. I explained to her that I was leaving out of town and even had to bring up my flight confirmation to prove it. I asked her what the difference is if i had just gotten them all filled at once anyway? Seemed so arbitrary to me.

You may have just run into a pharmacy tech with control issues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

tinydancer wrote:
I can't say for certain if it is a new law or not, it may just be your particular pharmacy tweaking their policies. You may want to try another pharmacy and see what they say? I used to fill my scripts like you, also. A) It was expensive to fill the whole thing at once and B) a lot of times the pharmacy didn't even have enough stock to fill them all anyway. I had no problem doing partial fills.. I was given trouble one time when I went to refill the rest of that month's script a few days early and was told I couldn't. She said it was too early and I should still have some, but I was leaving for a trip the following day. I explained to her that I was leaving out of town and even had to bring up my flight confirmation to prove it. I asked her what the difference is if i had just gotten them all filled at once anyway? Seemed so arbitrary to me.

You may have just run into a pharmacy tech with control issues.

Thank you for the reply, I went ahead and call another pharmacy and they told me I couldn't pick up a partial refill within 72 hours of the pick up date I got the partial from. I said I got the partial refill 10 days ago and she told me there's no reason they can't fill it, you're allowed to pick up partial refills anytime you want as long as it's been 72 hours after the first fill. A new prescription or full refill requires the supply date, but partial actually has laws saying it's fine after 3 days.

She said she would be happy to fill it for me but the problem is because it's a controlled substance I can't transfer a partial refill. She tried but they wouldn't let her. And I also realized the nice pharmacy that would fill it for (Walmart) said it's only $128 for 30 there, at CVS (the one giving me problems) its $147. Where that extra $20 comes from I have no idea. But I'm basically screwed, by the time I can get my next fill it will be in between paychecks and that throws me off. Although I'm told a pharmacist can withhold a prescription of a controlled substance and there's nothing I can do so that's what I'm guessing is happening. It really pisses me off that people automatically judge someone because they used to be an addict, that's why I'm taking this crap in the first place. If they didn't make it so hard to obtain maybe more people would be able to quit.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I was curious how this would work myself. This was the first time I wanted to do a partial script at a time. I'm new to this so my first script I got the whole thing. This next script I got on Monday from the doc, I still had a week worth of meds left though, so I took it to cvs Monday because I was getting something else, and asked the pharmacist if I could split up the sub script because of cost, she said sure no problem, and I left the script with her. I read this post today so I was worried then!!! So I went in today and asked if I could get 1/4 of the script and she said yep we can do however much you want, it's your script. So then I asked was there any certain time I had to wait till I could get more of it and she said nope whenever you want, you just let us know how many you want that day. So I also asked if there was an end time when I had to have them all picked up, because I'm hoping to taper down and this script could last me awhile, she said six months they'd hold it!! So hopefully you can find another pharmacy that will work better with you!!! Oh and this was CVS by the way. They were actually cheaper then the corner pharmacy my doc's nurse had recommended. The only stipulation the pharmacist said was the script could only be transferred to another pharmacy twice, which I have no plan to transfer it at all!! Hope that helps you!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:30 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hmm just realized your trouble pharmacy was in fact cvs.... Weird! Maybe each one is different?? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense! Sorry my post was prob no help then

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Slevin wrote:

Thank you for the reply, I went ahead and call another pharmacy and they told me I couldn't pick up a partial refill within 72 hours of the pick up date I got the partial from. I said I got the partial refill 10 days ago and she told me there's no reason they can't fill it, you're allowed to pick up partial refills anytime you want as long as it's been 72 hours after the first fill. A new prescription or full refill requires the supply date, but partial actually has laws saying it's fine after 3 days.

She said she would be happy to fill it for me but the problem is because it's a controlled substance I can't transfer a partial refill. She tried but they wouldn't let her. And I also realized the nice pharmacy that would fill it for (Walmart) said it's only $128 for 30 there, at CVS (the one giving me problems) its $147. Where that extra $20 comes from I have no idea. But I'm basically screwed, by the time I can get my next fill it will be in between paychecks and that throws me off. Although I'm told a pharmacist can withhold a prescription of a controlled substance and there's nothing I can do so that's what I'm guessing is happening. It really pisses me off that people automatically judge someone because they used to be an addict, that's why I'm taking this crap in the first place. If they didn't make it so hard to obtain maybe more people would be able to quit.

It's true, a partial refill cannot be transferred. At least not with controlled substances. If your main concern is money and the fact that your allowed pick up time is between paychecks, you really need to just set the money aside from this next paycheck. Of you can't trust yourself to hold it, have someone trust worthy hold it for you. For me, I would do anything to not be sick, so if it meant setting aside some money and not touching it until refill day, that wouldn't have been an issue for me. That money would be gone right away anyway, had you been allowed to pick up sooner.

Can you just set aside the funds? Seems fairly simple to me but maybe I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:01 am 
New Poster
New Poster

tinydancer wrote:
It's true, a partial refill cannot be transferred. At least not with controlled substances. If your main concern is money and the fact that your allowed pick up time is between paychecks, you really need to just set the money aside from this next paycheck. Of you can't trust yourself to hold it, have someone trust worthy hold it for you. For me, I would do anything to not be sick, so if it meant setting aside some money and not touching it until refill day, that wouldn't have been an issue for me. That money would be gone right away anyway, had you been allowed to pick up sooner.

Can you just set aside the funds? Seems fairly simple to me but maybe I'm missing something.

Well it's easier on payday cause we don't have 24 hour pharmacies around here so the day I'm "allowed" to pick it up is on a tuesday which I can't do cause they open at 10am and close at 9pm, I'm at school 8am-3:30pm and I work immediately after till 10pm. It's literally impossible for me to go even if I went on my break not only the drive but the line that's there at 6pm would make me late. I get paid on saturday (the day I posted and tried to refill) and that's the day I have time. And I wouldn't want to ask someone to go to the pharmacy for me once every month. I don't even like going. So luckily I found a better pharmacy, it's further away but that's all I can do. I'll just have to take the day off tuesday. Their solution is just pay for it all at once which would be almost an entire paycheck so yeah, they can go screw themselves. I hate how hard everyone has to make it to obtain this prescription.

Thanks for the advice though :)