It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:30 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello
New to this forum I (we my husband and I) just found out my son was using street oxy smoking it. He has been going to a pain management Dr. since October. He has him on 24 mg a day we feel that is way to much. We went to his Dr. to find out the treatment plan and he never had one was just gonna let him keep taking all of those, Does that amount seem really high to anyone else? We are at a loss, anger, defeat hurt are to say a few things going on inside us.
Please let me know your thoughts
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So you're saying he is seeing a suboxone doctor and is on 24 mg a day? Although others are on 24 mg, it is a rather high dose - that is, unless he's on it for pain. If he's in fact taking it for pain, then the 24 mg per day might be the appropriate dose for him. I also take it for pain (in addition to addiction) and I take between 16-24 mg per day, split into 2-3 doses per day. When it comes to dosing for pain, it's best to dose more than once daily, as sub's pain properties only last about 4-6 hours.

How is he doing since he's been on suboxone? Can you notice a difference in him? For me, when I started suboxone the change in me happened very quickly, as I've heard it's happened for others, too.

Do you have other, specific questions? We'll try to shed some light on those for you. Remember, opiate addiction is a fatal disease and suboxone treats addiction. I hope some of this helps you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:31 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hello, and thank you for taking an interest in your child's recovery! i commend you for that. i wish my parents were more willing to learn about the medications i have taken (methadone tapered down to suboxone). that said, 24mgs is probably a high dose. suboxone has a ceiling effect. once it blocks the receptors, any additional drug is not being utilized by the body. generally that ceiling was thought to be at 24mg, but now according to my doctor (ask yours of course! take my advice for what it's worth... someone on a website...) has said the ceiling effect is now thought to kick in much lower and is variable amongst patients. that said, i take 16mgs, as i am a chronic pain patient. it's not the best for pain, but i can't handle myself on pills. anyway, getting a true treatment plan is the best thing. i don't know what your insurance situation is (and your city may even have free resources if it's big enough) but see about getting your son into an intensive outpatient program... it's a lot of work but i cannot stress how helpful it was for me, even more so than 12 step traditional meetings (which i do attend). i found this was vital to my recovery. it was much more of an all encompassing experience than just going to a doctor and getting a piece of paper. i now know a lot about my triggers, my i started using, coping mechanisms, how to deal with my family better... well, hah, if i go on more about it you may think the people are paying me too lol. i'm glad you have found suboxone. it truly does save lives and feel free to talk to the doctor about the dose. my doctor titrates you from 4mg your first day during induction and observes you for a few hours. if you are still not well, an additional 4mgs. then the next day 8mgs. on the third day 12 if needed. some people stay on four, some go up to 24. it's a ball park but again, really only you and your doctor and your son can figure out what best meets your needs. generally most people find 8mgs to be a decent maintainable dose. good luck, welcome to the forums.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's correct that suboxone has a ceiling effect, which is generally accepted to be at or around 4 mg. This amount is supposed to saturate the receptors. But to KEEP them saturated, the dose should be comfortably above that. Doses then are individualized based on what dose they need to keep cravings (and withdrawals) away. Keeping the cravings at bay is a very important part of suboxone treatment. Without addressing the cravings, the patient is still at a higher risk of relapse. Again, this is why doses vary among patients. Try not to compare doses from one person to the next.

That said, if your child is not taking it for pain, 24 mg is usually considered a pretty high dose. If he very recently started sub, however, it's not unusual to start out at a higher dosage at first before later going to the lowest dose necessary to address the w/d and cravings.

I hope this gives you a bit more info.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.