It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Panic Attack
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

20 days ago I had an extreme stomach ache from so thing I ate and was literally doubled over in pain. So extreme, I contemplated going to the emergency room, the thought of which created a full blown panic attack. My wife gave me a 20 valium which immediately calmed me down. Other than my monthly suboxone refill for the last 6 years, the Valium was the only other prescription medication I have taken. 14 days later, I was at my regular suboxone appointment and came up positive for benzos! He gave me one week which is tomorrow. I just paid $40 for an over the counter drug test kit and the benzo tab came in faintly - not solid as say the opiate line was. I am scared to death of losing my suboxone prescription. It has saved my life.
Apparently, Valium should not last in my system for so long but I am thinking that over years of abuse, my liver is shot and therefore allowing the Valium to last long than usual.
Any suggestions would reaaly be welcome. I Can't lose my prescription.

Post subject: Re: Panic Attack
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gosh... I hate how some docs practice! To even consider throwing a patient into the world of active opioid dependence over such a minor issue. But there ARE docs with that type of attitude, and I don't know of a solution other than being open and honest about what happened.

As for the positive test, any benzo other than Valium would have been gone by 4-5 days. But diazepam is metabolized by the liver into OTHER benzos, including temazepam. You took a very large dose; most people respond to 5 mg in the absence of tolerance. With a half-life of 3-4 days even in a healthy liver, it is easy for metabolites of diazepam to stick around for a couple weeks. So the good news is that your liver isn't necessarily shot.

I hope your doc is a reasonable person. Maybe someone will have a creative solution-- but I can't think of one, given that it is so easy to verify everything these days. I hope things work out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:39 pm 

Hi Mr. Mustang. I don't know anything about metabolizing valium out of your system. When the doctor said you tested positive for benzos did you tell him what happened? Is your doctor a real hardass or do you think he would listen to your story.

If I were you I would probably ask to see him tomorrow (in case you're just there to drop off a urine sample). I would say, "Dr. I messed up which is why the benzo test came up positive. I was having horrific stomach cramps (and I would specifically say stomach cramps) and I thought about having to go into the emergency room. Immediately my heart started beating out of my chest and I couldn't breathe. I told my wife to call an ambulance because I thought I was dying. Fortunately my wife has had panic attacks before and knows how I react to going to the emergency room. She said I looked like I was having a panic attack. She brought me a glass of water and a pill and told me to take it. I was a mess and wasn't thinking clearly so I just took the pill like she told me to. Within 20 minutes the stomach cramping went away and my heart calmed down. I felt so much better! It wasn't until then that I thought of asking her what I she had given me and she told me it was a 20 mg pill of valium. She said that it would calm down both me and my stomach because it is a muscle relaxer. I didn't even check to see what kind of drug valium is and so I was totally unprepared when the test showed that I had a benzo in my system. I'm telling you this instead of just giving a urine sample which should probably come back clean by now because I want to be honest with you. My recovery is the most important thing to me. I have no excuse but ignorance and I will never take another unknown pill again. It's my responsibility to follow your instructions and I intend to do that. I'm asking you to please give me another chance even though I messed up."

If this sounds genuine to you and you think that your doctor will forgive you try it. Many doctors will forgive you if they think you are telling them the truth and you apologize to them instead of acting defensive. Not all doctors will be merciful so you have to weigh whether or not you want to talk him like this or just take your chances with the urine test.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Sorry- I needed to be more clear. I did tell him what happened and he is giving me a week to re test which is today. Yes he is by the book I suppose. Scared to death and really hate being treated like a criminal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:55 am 

Hey 65,
You have been answered by two of the best. I wish for a good outcome today.

Keep your head up and know that You havnt really done anything so wroug . I know many sub drs, each one has there own way of feeling toward the people they help. A more standard of care would be great, but this is just how it works with some docs.

Dont panic 65. Hopefully it ll all work out today. Amy and Dr J 's posts should be taken in high regard. There truthful and correct.

Please lets know how it went, Im betting it ll be ok!! ...

Razor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:42 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

As long as the numbers are dropping in the lab results, it will show you haven't taken anymore. You should be fine.
Good luck
Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:55 pm 

Stang, so your doctor knows that you took a 20mg valium? As a person with a logical brain, hopefully he will see that as long as you have much less benzo in your system, even if you do have a little bit left you will be off the hook.

Good luck and please let us know how it went.

Amy