It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone now for 2 years to treat opiate dependance. The latter of the 2 years I have been drinking beer. My drinking has fluctuated anywhere from 4-6 beers a night to 8-12 beers a night for the last year or so. Lately I have this pain in my right side, kind of right at the same level my belly button is at. Sometimes the pain gravitates to my back and sometimes it goes up. Also, and I thought this was just from drinking beer, but my stomach has gotten much larger and always feels bloated. It seems like the right side of my stomach is bigger that the left side as well. I don't know if there is some kind of strain that suboxone is putting on my liver that makes it really bad to drink as well. I'm just concerned that I have done some kind of permanent damage. I went and saw a doctor about this roughly 5 or 6 months ago and got an ultra sound, only to show a slightly fatty liver. But nothing severe. Doc didn't have any advice on what it could be but it hasn't gone away. Any advice on what this could be, what kind of doctor to see, etc .. would be appreciated.Also worried about telling a general practicioner how much I've been drinking. I don't want him to tell my suboxone doctor and have suboxone taken away. My suboxone dr said I can drink but if he found out how much I've been drinking I don't know what he would do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI Memphis Kid.

If you are drinking that much per night, I would say that you are certainly -switching one addiction for another. You gave up opiates to get on suboxone but are now going to beer (alcohol) to still get a buzz.
You really MUST cut down your drinking. Most medications do work a number on your liver so combining the alcohol is not helping your liver at all. And could be dangerous.

I truly believe that drinking DEFEATS the whole purpose of why you are taking suboxone in the first place.

Please give thoughts to cutting down or out the drinking of beer all together. I really think that you will see a great improvement in your health. And if you are afraid to go to your GP with the drinking issue, then get help elsewhere for it like an out-patient program. You are so on the right track by treating your opiate addiction but you are picking up another addiction (alcoholism)while you are at it. I wish you good luck with everything! N

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Your absolutely right and I quit drinking as of last night. I just hope I can stay quit. I gave tried aa and it just doesn't work for me. Whether I'm just not ready or whatever the reason, I just don't like it. I'm also just concerned that I've done permanent damage. Or I wonder if I just stop drinking all together if it will go away. It's a mentally taxing, all of it. Trying to quit drinking, worrying about health issues, gEtting down on myself. I just don't know what to do.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there Memphis kid1

Don't be too hard on yourself. I too used to drink on my suboxone all the time. I ended up going to inpatient rehab for 30 days. it really helped me . Plus I ended up getting on an antidepressant which was part of the reason I was drinking on my suboxone in the first place ( self medicating.)

Don't give up trying to quit drinking.!! I personally can't stand going to AA. However I do see an addiction counselor and that helps so much. I think I prefer the one on one discussion instead of group AA meetings ( not so preachiy) .

I appreciate your honesty. And if there is anything I can do to help don't hesitate to ask my friend !!