It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Pain Relief?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:31 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, Thanks for the reply re: not feeling med working. I understand. What's really troubling me is the ineffectiveness of suboxone. I am really disappointed, I had heard such great things about it. I'm in severe chronic daily pain and a friend of mine, who's a nurse, raved about suboxone as a terrific pain med. I feel no diminishment of pain. I did for a few days when I first put on the 5 mg patch, the first week--a month ago.

Increased to 10mg and no pain relief--going on a month now (after initial 2 first two weeks). I'm going to my doc to discuss this--he dn believe it's all that it's cracked up to be.

There's so few choices re: pain meds for addicts. Any suggestions? Should I try the pill form in an increased dosage for pain control or just go off it. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for other pain meds?

Thanks again. This is really a frustrating ordeal. I had heard good things that my experience dn bear out. Have a great day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

On the other thread that you posted I talked about the ceiling affect and how it relates to you/your dosing. To avoid being repetitive, I will refer you back to that thread.

As for your pain issues, suboxone is not considered excellent. Although I take it for pain relief, I certainly wouldn't rave about it. You're right there are few options for people like us (addicts) who need chronic pain control. For me, it doesn't and I don't expect it to relieve ALL of my pain. But it does help my pain - it makes it more or less tolerable.

Suboxone for opiate addiction has a half-life of about 37 hours on average. But that's not the case for it's pain properties - that only lasts on average about 4-6 hours. So those of us who dose for pain normally take it 2-3 times a day instead of the usual once daily.

I honestly have no idea how the patch works for pain or if it's got enough of a steady stream into your body. But it's a legitimate question and one if I were you I'd ask the doctor to explain to me. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. It may or may not help for you to start taking the tablets.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Sally !!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:27 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I,m not being nosey, but where is your pain at... is it spinal back type pain ?????

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the patch might be the reasons you aren’t get much pain relief. I don’t know much about them but 10 mgs isn’t enough to help with pain for 5 hours let alone days. I think you should try the pills b4 you do anything crazy like going back on painkillers.

I have a serious knee injury I was on 200mgs of oxy for a few years and 16mgs of suboxone a day allows me to live a normal life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Suboxone has never touched my pain. I asked my doc about it because I've read so many talk about it on here, and he said that it's not made to and I'd be better off just relying on Tylenol

Post subject: Pain relief
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all. i have a serious back injury that is how I began abusing Meds...I am now on 16 to 20 mgs of Sub a day. Although it don't always work for pain 100% I agree w/ hatmaker that if you dose 2 or 3 X's a day it does help control the pain better. Try the films, or tabs & see how that goes. God bless! . Scottcat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have pain throughout my entire back, (guess that's what happens when your head goes through the car window @ 80mph), and Sub has done nothing for the pain. I get better help with 3 ibuprofen twice a day, or better yet, Celebrex. Even when I started on Sub and was taking 8mg's/ 3x's a day, it did nothing for pain. If you could find a pain management clinic that prescribes methadone, that would be the best pain-type med IF they gave it out like Sub; in a pill form AND with a script. The main reason I got off 'done was because of the hastle of getting it everyday. I finally went on a vacation for the first time in 5 years the other day because I was able to bring the Suboxone with me. Can't do that on methadone w/out takehomes, but it sure does take the pain away all day long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would suggest trying the film or pills before getting too discouraged.Like a couple others said , you may want to dose 2 or 3 times a day. I definately feel pain releif when i take it,but my pain may not be as severe as yours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:09 pm 
I agree with the poster who said he gets more relief out of ibuprofen than suboxone, it realy is that shitty of a pain med for me. I take it for addiction but it would be nice if it helped with the pain in my ankle but it doesnt. OP id try the pills for your pain and if they dont work you might not have another option other than to take full agonists. If you are truly in pain that disrupts your life and you dont abuse your painkillers there is nothing to be ashamed of for taking opiate pain medication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I'm new to the site and I feel I need to put my feelings in here because I too suffer from chronic pain and am on 16mg's a day. I do notice a difference in my pain level at the beginning of the month versus the end of the month when I am getting low on my subs. Unfortunately I take an extra pill in the beginning and then when I am running low, I have to make them last and I can tell the difference!! I guess I should tell my doc because I do short myself. 24mg/day works for me with my pain and depression/anxiety and I am only Rx'd 16mg/day.
I have D.D.D., fractured Coccyx and arthritis throughout. When I was younger I was very athletic and now I am 41 and I am paying for it!! When my back started bothering me because of the Disc degenerative disease I was Rx'd hydrocodone to deal with the pain then I fell down a flight of stairs on my butt (literally) and broke my tail bone. It was all down hill from there. Only the pain meds. helped me get through my day. (I was a courier w/ FedEx) It wasn't too long before I was hooked. Eventually I became tired of worrying how I was going to make it until my next refill and decided to try Suboxone. In the beginning I was so happy to be free of the pain pills. I was on 8mg's of Suboxone and worked my way down to 2mg/day. My pain became worse so the Dr decided I go back up to 8mg then eventually 16mg for the pain. That was about a year ago that I increased from 8 to 16 so now I am feeling that it is about time to increase for the pain again.
What I really wish I could do is the Rapid Detox program. However, I don't have the $20,000 (approx) to pay and I certainly do not have the credit to finance it. So for now I will remain on a Suboxone program and worry about how I am going to make it through until my next refill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello amikel03 and welcome. So am I understanding correctly that you're taking above and beyond what your doctor is prescribing for you? But you do plan on telling him/her about it, right? I guess I'm just wondering why you didn't speak to your doctor about it sooner. Keep in mind that when taking suboxone for chronic pain, that it's not like other pain pills - you don't have to keep increasing the dose to get the same pain relief. Now that's not to say that 24 mg isn't what you need for pain. I take either 2 or 3 pills per day (8 mg), just depending on my pain and whether or not I need that third tablet. My doctor writes my script for 90 pills.

As for rapid detox, well, there's not a lot of good evidence to support it. It might get you through the acute withdrawals, but it does nothing for PAWS, which is usually the real challenge for people quitting any type of opiate. Just my two cents on that subject.

Again, welcome. We're glad to have you with us.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Hatmaker. I am rx'd 16mg's a day currently and yes I do take an extra pill a day at the beginning of the month. This just recently started too. About a year ago my Dr. did increase my dose from 8 to 16mg. for pain management. My next appointment is in February '11. Should I go in before that appointment and talk to him about increasing my dose or should I just wait? If I wait, I know I will eventually short myself. I have never lied to my Dr. about anything else, however I feel like if I go in he is automatically going to assume I am abusing my pills. I have only 1 time moved my appt. date up earlier to talk to him about increasing my dose because of running out too soon. This was back in February '10 and he suggested it to me about increasing the dose for pain management. Do you think it is too soon to increase or is it a matter of my body building a tolerance (or something to that effect)? I wish I didn't have to rely on pills, but I have found that Suboxone does help with my pain and of course keeps me from turning to narcotic pain med's.
Suboxone helps with my depression too. I have worked myself down to a very low dose of Aplenzin (Wellbutrin appox.80mg's.) I would love to get off of the Aplenzin, then figure out what to do about the Suboxone. I also need to learn that I don't need a pill everytime I have a shooting pain, a bad moment or someone pisses me off.
I am a married mom of two boys. (17 and 8yrs.) My husband is a union laborer and usually works only from May to November. We lost our house to foreclosure a year ago. So needless to say, I did have a rough streak but now things seem to be working themselves out (financially). Sorry for babbling!!! Thanks for the welcome!!! I think I'm going to like it here!!!