It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am coming off a long run on 10/650 Oxycodone, and have been prescribed Suboxone 8mg X 2mg film twice a day for recovery, and chronic pain. My doctor went to great lengths to explain the drug to me, and what to expect. However, I had no idea there was more than one type, or that there are pills as well as the film. I have read alot of posts here in search of an answer to my question without finding it. I did come across a quote that seemed to say the film does not work for pain management. Is that true? I am happy to be off of the Oxy but, like others, I'm concerned my pain will control me again. I trust my doctor, but would like to hear from someone wih experience taking Suboxone films. I've read enough here to know most people don't take it for pain, and my answer may be slow coming. I will be patient, and wait. Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:13 am 

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

There is a specific way to dose for chronic pain. Split your dose into 4 (one half of a film) and take one every 6 or so hours. For some reason the analgesic properties of sub only last 4 to 6 hours. Quite a few of our members dose this way and find it acceptable for pain relief. Hope this helps!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Amy. As I said, I do trust my Doctor, just clarifying something I heard. I will do it that way. I appreciate your response.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I split my dose as well to help w pain also I take a couple Advil with it... Seems to help. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All the types of buprenorphine work the same for pain-- except maybe Butrans, but that is just because the dose is so much lower (the largest butrans dose is 0.5 mg per day).

Plain buprenorphine, generic buprenorphine/naloxone, Suboxone film, Zubsolv, and Bunavail all work the same, with some differences in absorption that are corrected by the differences in base dose.

Amy is correct-- the more-frequent dosing seems to help... maybe from interactions at other, non-mu opioid receptors.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also take bupe for chronic pain along with addiction & it works well for me. Initially, i was scared to make the switch but after finding the schedule that works best for me i have been comfortable.

I hope you find the same positive results!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you everyone. So far so good with me. Pain is still there, but bearable, and cravings are gone.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just to chip in, suboxone helps with pain from my past experience.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:34 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I also use subs for pain management along with advil. It seems that smalls doses like Amy said works. I have nerve pain which the Subs don't work well for so I take Gabapentin to help the nerve pain. I take Advil PM at night. It has 38mgs of Diphenhydramine in each tablet. It does help with sleep issues.