It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: no pain meds in hospital
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was recently in the hospital and the hospitalist refused to rx anything stronger than Tylenol for my pain. He said that he did not want to get me started on narcotics again. After I was discharged, I talked to my primary care and my suboxone Dr. and neither has concerns with me taking narcotics when needed, I am on 2mg a day. I am 67 years old so suspect I will run into this issue again. Just had to vent.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jeandianne,

Thanks for sharing. I am so sorry that you were not able to get any relief meds from the hospital. You know that is my only fear being on Subs for a lifetime, is if and when i need pains meds, I will be denied.

To be honest, I am not sure if they would work since I am taking subs anyways .

Are you on subs right now or are you just marked on your chart as an addict?

Just curious.
Hope you feel better!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:04 pm 

Jeez! If you're already on sub, you are on a narcotic, so what's their problem with giving out more for pain? Did your sub doctor give you ideas on how to take your sub to help with pain? A small dose of sub will give 4 to 6 hours of pain relief, then you take another small dose. There are several members of this forum who dose several times a day for chronic pain. You can certainly take .5mg dose 4 times a day. Switch to this dosing if you have pain. See if that helps at all. Dumb hospital!!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This is my greatest fear and the primary reason for wanting to eventually taper off. I have printed Dr. J's statement concerning pain management as well as the stuff available from NAABT, and I keep it in an envelope in my car, and have also given my son a copy in case I need emergency care.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't know what to do. This is the second time I have been in the hospital and not given pain medication because I am an addict, the kind that started after multiple RX for pain meds from doctors. Now I have been reclassified as an addict. All the planning I thought that I had in place but I was admitted on a Saturday and my primary and my sub doctor were not available. It wouldn't even make any difference if I was off subs, I have the label.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:57 am 

That pisses me off and I know it does you too!

This is what I would do. When you are going to the hospital for something specific, have the hospital doctor and your sub doctor talk beforehand. When I had a procedure the surgeon and my doctor talked. My surgeon ended up prescribing 10mg oxycodone and my sub doctor upped my sub dose for a couple of weeks. Have you started using your sub for pain management at all and dividing the sub up like I suggested before? It really is pretty effective pain relief.

I'm sorry for your trouble. You deserve pain relief and that's exactly what I would tell the folks at the hospital. I hate to suggest this, but maybe you have to say that you'll bring a lawsuit for pain and suffering if they don't treat your pain adequately.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amy, thanks for the support. I do split my dose half in morning and half in the afternoon. Planning is great, but both times I was admitted to the hospital it was emergency. This last time I had to call 911 and ride to the hospital in an ambulance. I brought my Suboxone with me to the hospital. Could not take it the day of admission because the hospitalist hadn't ordered it yet. Given my dose on day two and felt much better. When at 2 mg you can really tell if you miss a dose.