It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just had a question and in case i cant get into my sub doc before I deliver, I was wondering the ob i have usually prescribes you percocet and like Tylenol 3 for after you deliver. But i think that being on subutex you cannot take that right? So what is safe and ok to have given to you while subutex is in system? I am trying to be done by the time i deliver but i am on 3 quarters a day and due march 2nd not looking to good. I m trying so hard =(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am sorry I can not answer your question, however I think you will be so elated about your new baby, you will likely not need any pain meds. Congrats and good luck...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes you can take percs but they probably won't be needed. Usually after having a baby pain relief is not needed. Unless you tear like I did and had to have stitches. But...I certainly would not breast feed if I took something else. From what I have read it is kind of a good thing to continue taking the subutex and/or methadone after your baby is born even if you breatfeed because it helps eliinate the potential for withdrawals in the baby. I think you really need to talk to your sub doctor about this even if you can not get in which I am sure he will fit you in close to your delivery date you can call can't you?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: CONGRATS!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:20 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi XTina!

Wow!! You're almost at the very end girl! I bet you're so excited!! Is this your first?

I had my son ten months ago (while on Subutex). I had been taking 16mg before becoming pregnant. And, continued to take that dose up until about 10hrs before I gave birth....via C-Section.

Personally, I feel this is something you should discuss with both your O.B and your Sub Doc....and come up with a plan.
In my case, I knew there was a high probability that I was gonna end up having another section (this is my second child). I also knew in my heart that I absolutely did NOT want any kind of regular agonist.

Everyone is different. But, Im pretty sure that if you have a vaginal birth....800mg IBProphen, and maybe some Toradol should do the trick. I think THAT, along with your Subutex will be enough if you deliver vaginally.

Now, if you end up having a section....it can be a little more difficult.

As I stated, I had a C-Section. My O.B and I decided for me to have a Spinal (which numbs you from the waist down) for the actual surgery. I was completely awake for the entire surgery, and brestfed my son 15min after they finished sewing me up. It was so beautiful!!

At the end of surgery (for post-op pain), my O.B put a pain pump in for me. This WORKED WONDERS!! This pumped local anesthetic into my incision the entire time I was at the hospital (three days). Then, they put a line in my wrist. And I received Toradol (which is a NSAID like Tylenol, but much much stronger) every eight hrs.

I started back on my Subutex the day after I gave birth. Once released, I began taking 800mg IBProphen and Toradol tablets....along with my Subutex.

FYI- From everything I've heard, if your gonna use Toradol......you must START on it I.V.......otherwise, it dosen't work very well.

Now, Im not gonna lie.......there was still a good amount of pain for about two weeks post-partum. But, this was MY decision. I know myself. And, I didn't wanna take a chance of feeling euphoric from regular pain medication (not saying that I would have felt euphoric, but that was my fear).

So, I worked very hard with my doctors to come up with a plan. I even spoke with the Anesthesiologist right before my surgery and discussed what I DID and DID NOT want in my I.V during the surgery. Primarily, because I wanted to make sure I was awake for my son afterwards.

I know I've just given you alotta information. Hopefully you'll have a vaginal birth, and things will be much easier.
In any case, please speak with your doctors NOW. You never know, WHEN that baby may decide to come. You've gotta be prepared girl.

Finally, do yourself a favor and bring copies of information about Subutex, Subutex and Pregnancy, Subutex and Brestfeeding (all of which you can find online, and most of them on Dr.Junig's Blog) with you to the hospital.
You'd be surprised how many people, including healthcare professionals......don't even know what Subutex is!

Good Luck!! If you have any questions for me, feel free to PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ThanK YOU ALL FOR RESPONDING, YEA i DON'T WANT PAIN MEDS UNLESS TRULY NEEDED AND ONE OF MY FRIENDS HAS THE SAME DOC AND THATS WHAT HE ROUTINELY GIVES PEOPLE AFTER LABOR SO Y i ASK.

AND MARIE THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT USEFUL INFORMATION =) I AM VERY EXCITED, AND NO THIS IS MY SECOND BUT MY FIRST GIRL I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD BOY AND MY FIANCE HAS A 4 YEAR OLD BOY SO HOUSE FULL OF BOYS LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

xtina1111 wrote:
ThanK YOU ALL FOR RESPONDING, YEA i DON'T WANT PAIN MEDS UNLESS TRULY NEEDED AND ONE OF MY FRIENDS HAS THE SAME DOC AND THATS WHAT HE ROUTINELY GIVES PEOPLE AFTER LABOR SO Y i ASK.

AND MARIE THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT USEFUL INFORMATION =) I AM VERY EXCITED, AND NO THIS IS MY SECOND BUT MY FIRST GIRL I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD BOY AND MY FIANCE HAS A 4 YEAR OLD BOY SO HOUSE FULL OF BOYS LOL.

My wife is due to deliver around the SAME TIME AS YOU!!! Our due date is March 17, but she won't make it that long! We've had ALL of our babies early, and this one is going to come early too, I just KNOW it..

Thankfully, my wife isn't on suboxone or anything..I'm the one who's the addict...

I missed out on SO much with my other babies when they were born..and small...I started coming around and was very active in recovery when my youngest was about 3 years old. Up until that point, my kids had suffered the agony of a parent who was abusing opiates. It still hurts me to this very day to think back on the things I missed with them, but I came around and got to enjoy them ...even if I was a little late to the game....
I've actually sat and cried about it...but they know that i love them...all 3 of them. And this little girl that we're having in a couple of weeks....well, she'll just get to enjoy me from the start..(as I get to be the stay-home parent this time around).

I remember one of the turning points in my treatment and when I decided that I had done ENOUGH...was when I was in my bathroom cutting up my oxycontin to snort..and I had me a line ready, when my son walked in and said "daddy, is that for you nose?"

that really hurts, ya know? still hurts..so innocent..but knew daddy had done that before...
They didn't know any better...and I was stupid ...those are the things that I think back on and sometimes cry over...because I hate that a pill had the power over me to get me to that point...
But, that just gives me MORE determination NOW...I'm stronger than I ever was..and will never go back down that road!!

I wish you the best of luck with the new arrival. As you're celebrating your new baby, we'll be celebrating ours too..so we both have some very wonderful times to look forward to in the upcoming weeks ahead. It's a miracle and I LOVE MY BABIES!

The saddest part of the whole thing for me, is my sister lives with us...she moved in almost 2 years ago, because she was pregnant and living in trash!! And I couldn't stand the though of her having a baby born into that environment.
So, with us barely making ends meet..we took her in anyway..because that baby was more important..

Well, my sister is a 22 year-old who is FAR from being grown-up. Hell, she's even far from being a PARENT for that matter. And before anyone takes that offensively...you'd have to know the situation ...
This girl has practically made us raise my niece. She's lied to us about work..just so she could go get laid, she lied to us about college (when she WENT..), then she lied to us about dropping out of college...kept telling us she was going to class, but had dropped out 2 months prior. We know all the lies, but we don't say anything about it.

My niece, Khloee, is 15 months old. She ADORES me...mainly because I've been home with her, since I'm a stay-home dad for my own kids...but she also adores my wife. She looks at us as parents...because we're the ones who raise her.

The newest thing with my sister? She decided on New Years Eve to leave here at 4pm...and we didn't hear from her until 2pm the next day. She was gone, WE HAD HER BABY....and not even a text message to say where she was..she up and showed up here 22 hours later like nothing happened...so I lost it. I went off on her, and told her to quit the bullshit little jobs she was working (12 to 16 hours a week at Dominos pizza, and 20-26 hours a week at some call center) and find a real job....

So she found one..and now she's getting her an apartment (YAY)...
Here's the kicker!! She's working 12hr shifts, right?
She works 5-6 days a week..right?

When she moves out, she's told my wife that she's just going to leave Khloee here, and come get her on her off days...ONE day a week...

So mommy..the person who brags on facebook about being a parent and loving her daughter so much..will only come see her child once a week, and probably won't even spend the night with her in the same apartment.

How's that for parenting??
I know it's hard to be a single parent and trying to work...but she made the decisions that led up to becoming pregnant. I'm sure, we're all adults here, we know what causes that!! But once you have a child, you prioritize, am I right???

Anyway, I went off on a tangent...congrats to you and enjoy your new little one! Post some pics!!(I know I will!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Are you going to continue staying home daddy with the new baby? Oh what a delight that will be for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How terrible! At least your niece has you and your wife. I hate to think where she'd be without you guys.

I just don't understand how some moms view their children as burdens and would rather be out doing other things. I have 4 kids and they are my world. I am lucky to be a stay at home mom and cherish every day I get with them. I just don't get it and likely never will, you only get this time with them when there young once. I hope for her daughters sake your sister comes around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

finallyachance wrote:
Are you going to continue staying home daddy with the new baby? Oh what a delight that will be for you.

Yep, I'm going to get to REALLY enjoy the new baby girl..oh, how tiring it will be..but oh how many memories I'll get to be a part of. I can't WAIT. Biding my time till she's born.