It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: In pain and scared
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi guys. I am going to try to make as much sense as possible. I just got done crying so I'm more than a little upset abou this.

Ok, I have chronic pain. My dose of suboxone is 16mg. Split to 8 and 8. I have consistently had pain in between doses since I began treatment with sub 2 months ago. I have tried taking 4 4 and 8, 8 4 and 4, etc... I finally tried the 8 8 8, and got relief from my pain. Here s the problem. I am going to talk to my doctor today. He had said to me when I was being induced that he does not prescribe more than 16mg, EVER. No exceptions.

I know that my biggest trigger for me to relapse is pain. I am scared to death to talk to him today. He is almost certainly going to say no. I don't understand this type of thinking. I know that eventually I could probably get my dose down to 4 4 4, but after I am stabilized on the 8 8 8. Does that make sense? I've already tried 4 4 8 combination and it is NOT cutting it. I am ok with being on 24 mg. At least for a while. Then, going 8 4 8, or something like that. I hope this is making sense.

I am so scared of relapsing right now. I have got my freaking life together and dont want to give that up over PAIN!!!!!!!!!!! CRAP NOW IM CRYING AGAIN,. Im sorry, i just dont know what to do. My doctor is nice 99% of the time. But as thickheaded as they come. He truly has a one size fits all approach to this. I totally get 16mg being fine, even high, for addiction only. But realisticly, I am new to sub, in pain, and just not ready to taper yet. I am not against it later. But I have to keep my shit together for a little while before I am comfortable with a dropin dose.

I hope this makes sense. Please get back to me. I am so confused and scared. I NEVER want to take painkillers again. I CANT. I will end up eating 20 a day again.

Post subject: Chronic Pain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:06 pm 

Damn Kelly it really hurts to know you are suffering like this. Do you think your doctor would freak out if you just explained it to him like you did to us? Tell him it's only temporary until you can find a better way to ease your pain.

Have you gotten on the phone and called around to see if there are any doctors who prescribe Suboxone for pain? When I was making my calls in the beginning I got one where the receptionist said he only treats patients for pain with Sub, not addicts. I found that odd but it may work in your case.

I do see his point though, 24mg's is a fairly strong dose but it surely won't kill you, and if it's for pain then he should make an exception. All you can do is ask. If it fails, go make some calls to find someone else to treat your pain. Most of all be honest and if you start crying, so be it, it may just help.

Do you think maybe by trying the 4 4 4 dosage it didn't mess up your schedule? How were you doing with the 8+8 dosing and for how long was it working? I'm just saying you might just stabilize again going back to your old dosing schedule, that is if it was working before for you.

I'm thinkin' about ya and hope you get this worked out quickly. I hate to see one of my favorite members going through so much agony.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Gosh Rule, Thank you so much for your kindness and compassion. To answer a few of your questions...

I have been on 16mg of sub for 9 weeks now. I took 8 mg in the morning and *mg in the evening for the first 6 weeks. When I realized it was not going to do anything for my pain in between doses, I tried dosing more often by breaking them up into the increments I mentioned in my OP. Each time I tried, I gave it about days. Well, when I tried the 8,8, and 8, it worked. I understand that I am not always going to need 3 tabs a day. I also understand that I don't need to be at a zero on the pain scale. But to try and take care of a 17 month old when you are the sole caregiver, is more than a little challenging. The bathtimes, in and out of a highchair 5 or 6 times a day, in and out of a crib, and, well, you get the picture.

My apointment today went over like socks on a chicken. It was useless. Rule, I didn't have to cry, he made sure of it within 2 minutes of me being there. I started explaining it to him EXACTLY like I explained it to you guys. He was actually shaking his head "NO" the entire time I was talking. It was so RUDE! When I was done, he says "NOONE needs to be on 24mg of suboxone. NOONE" "Suboxone does not work for pain anyway." And he was dead serious. He is so clueless....He then proceeded to tell me that suboxone CLEARLY isn't working for me, and that I need to go to a methadone clinic and get on methadone. WHAT?!?!?!?

I have gotten so much of my life together. I am a TERRIFIC mother to my son. And I do it without ANY help. EVER. I am pretty active on this forum, and it's great for my recovery to talk to other addicts. I attend SMART recovery, see an addictions counselor, and work hard every single day to help my family and friends whenever I can.....But suboxone CLEARLY isn't working for me. He is such an *&#hole!

So, I called the VA today and made an appointment with my GP...her first available is in October. If she will prescribe the sub for pain, then I'm all set. IF she wont, then I have to get a referral to pain management from her (which she will do cuz she isn't an ass). If the PM doc won't give me the sub for pain, then I am going to be needing a new doctor for sub.

To answer your last couple questions Rule, No, I haven't called around yet, but I am going to do that. That is a great idea to ask them if they prescribe sub for pain. I think I will do that. Thanks for the advice. Now that you have the whole story, do you have any other suggestions for me? Does anyone else have anything that they can tell me that may help??? I am wide open to any suggestions.

Thank you everyone for reading this if you did.....
Have a great evening.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kelly, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Studies show that when addicts have untreated pain they are indeed at risk of relapse. Your dog damn doctor should know that. But as you made clear, he doesn't seem to know much about suboxone. (Like it doesn't work for pain? What does he think buprenorphine has been used for over the last previous decades before they added naloxone to it for suboxone? ARGH).

I completely understand your frustration and your anger. It's a normal reaction and I would be crying too.

It sounds like you have all the bases covered (first try your PCP then a PM doctor to see if they'll rx sub for you for pain) and unfortunately, I can't think of anything else you can do. However, that doesn't mean others won't come along and have more ideas of their own. Give it some time and I'm sure others will be by with their ideas soon.

Hang in there and please know we're here for you, to support you through this. (((((HUGS)))))

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Kelly, I too am so sorry to hear of your situation. I too have chronic pain and have been on suboxone/subutex for 8+ months. I have a couple of suggestions:

1. I have a prescription for Naproxen that I take regularly. I can't say it helps all that much, but it does help. It is an NSAID and not a narcotic, so your PCP should be able to give you a prescription for it.

2. I also suffer from severe depression (have for several years). I don't know if you do as well, but on the chance that you do - my sub doctor also prescribed Cymbalta for my depression and pain management. I can tell you that this made a huge difference for me pain wise! I definitely noticed a significant decrease in pain.

Well, that's it! Thats all of my secrets for pain management :) I certainly hope they help you out!

Post back and let us know how it is going!

Take care and be strong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, thank you three for the support and ideas.

Timstspry, I only have one kidney and cannot take any NSAIDS long term, as they are metabolized by the kidneys. I do take them from time to time and like you said, they help a LITTLE, but not a lot. The cymbalta was tried on me before, actually a couple of the antidepressants that are supposed to have pain relieving qualities to them, and for some stupid reason, they all seem to increase my anxiety. Like to a point that they end up wanting ot treat that too. It's like a crappy cycle...
But like I said, I will take the naproxen when i can and it does help. Thank you for the suggestions. You were right on with what my GP was saying too.

So here is the latest....My arrogant doctor called me 2 nights ago and says "Hello miss.... I spoke to your GP, and she says you do IN FACT have chronic pain issues, so I've decided to add a dose of suboxone." Really???? So, it helps pain now????? Oh my goodness!!!! What a revelation! I could ahve swore someone suggested this MONDAY! Anyway, at least he finally came around. I was scared to death because as of the 15th of August, he was no longer going to prescrivbe suboxone, and make me switch to methadone. I don't think I made that too clear in my first post. But anyway, all is good now. Thanks for the support and responses, Have a great weekend all!

Post subject: Wow
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:58 pm 

Now that was an ending I never would have guessed. Yahoo for YOU!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:54 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Wow!..finally a win for an informed patient!..kudos to your GP for sticking up for you and educating your sub dr..and kudos to your sub dr for listening and changing his rigid "one size fits all" mentality! hope all works out well for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:16 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Great news Kelly! Good for you and I am so glad to hear of it. Have a great weekend too.

Post subject: Thanks!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you everyone. I was quite suprised myself. It's a shame it took this for him to listen to me, but it just goes to show what advocating for your own healthcare can accomplish. That's one small step for man...And one giant leap for mankind...lol

Hopefully this helps another addict in the future who has to deal with him. Maybe he'll be better prepared to deal with this situation should it arise again.

Rule, my GP is actually pretty great. Had I known from the start that he was going to consult her, I wouldn't have worried so much in the first place. But it all worked out in the end. I've been taking the extra dose and so far so good. Today I have been pain free with the exception of the usual soreness that accompanies me every morning. THAT I can live with.

Thanks again everyone, for the support and responses. I love this forum, and the fact that most of us take the time to reciprocate helping each other out. Even if we don't always have the answers, we always have the support. I hope you all enjoy your weekend, and aren't bombarded with scorching heat like we are!!!

Post subject: Re: Thanks!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 pm 

"I hope you all enjoy your weekend, and aren't bombarded with scorching heat like we are!!!"

I live in Las Vegas girlfriend heat is the norm here. Today is a bit cooler at 105º but will reach 111º in a few days. For the first time in a year we are heading back into So.Ca. for a visit with family this weekend. Two days at the beach should cool us off.

Rule