It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: over a year clean
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:10 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just wanted to stop in & say thanks to everyone here for there help. Its now been over a year since my last dose of subs. Things r great! Don't really even think about it anymore that's a nice thing. Just wanted to say thanks & it can b done & it does get back to normal. Thanks & good luck to all! Ratt396

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Nice work Ratt! I'm at the 11 month mark or so. Didn't Dr. Junig claim that this can't be done? That everyone should stay on sub forever? Or did I make that up?

Congrats man. Life clean is where it's at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't think you made it up Hawker, but you certainly did embellish it a bit. Dr. J has never said EVERYONE SHOULD STAY ON SUB FOREVER. Hell, even he, as an opiate addict, is not on it. What he has said is that many people may consider to stay on for the long term up to and including the rest of their life. This is especially true for addicts under the age of 30. Other elements of the patient's history, condition and life also factor in. However, not EVERYONE needs to stay on Bup FOREVER. Both of you seem to be living proof of that - at least up until the present. Hopefully that will continue in your future. Let's just not take things out of context or put words in people's mouths. That said, it is awesome to hear you've both been off ~year. It is so great to hear and very important for those of us who, like you, someday hope to stop daily Bup. A lot of people who stop never come back so we really don't know, did they relapse? Are they still doing well? So thanks so much for taking the time to let us know, and give us some great hope. You should really be proud of yourselves.

Last edited by donh on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ratt396, thanks so much for coming back to let everyone know. The first year is the hardest year, so it's kinda like five years in one. You rock and I'm so happy for you. I hope to one day be saying the same thing!!!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:40 am 
Hey Ratt!! I'm so glad and grateful that you checked back in with us!! Congratulations X 100!!! You did it!!
And you too, hawker!! You know I think you're awesome!!!
It is just so thoughtful and speaks volumes to you guys' character that you'd take some time to come back and let us know that YES, It CAN be done!!! Sure, there's always tomorrow.....always that lingering chance of a slip up or a relapse. We all know that ain't going away. But you sure don't have to LIVE there! I think it's just a line you have to walk somewhere between being ever-cautious and humbly aware of the risk of relapse versus getting on with your life and walking in confidence that you don't have to relapse.....it is not a 'given' that you will!
I've got confidence in you both.....that you'll keep on going in the right direction! What you've already done has beaten the odds! I think Dr. Junig's deal is that he is so concerned (rightfully so) with the numbers of opiate addicts dying from this disease that he is quite pro long-term bupe maintenence because he believes it gives the addict a chance to live a long, productive life. Who can fault him for that? It's just that there will always be outliers.....just like Dr. Junig himself....who can make it without life-long maintenence.
You guys count your blessings!! And thanks again for coming back to share what you've learned along the way! It means the world to a lot of us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the update Ratt and congratulations. I'm about a month behind Hawker and even though I went through a brief lapse a couple of weeks ago, I am still SO happy to be off of Suboxone. I understand why so many people are afraid of us relapsing, it could lead to death, but everyday I get in my car and drive to work, it could lead to death too. Living life is full of risks, they're all around us, but I, for one, am not living in fear of a relpase. I don't fear getting in my car everyday and driving to work and I am not going to let fear of a relapse run my life. I'm just staying focused on my sobriety and taking it one day at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:21 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I do not know you guys but I too, am thankful for your posts! Some of us are good candidates to get off Subs...some of us are not and there is absolutely no shame in that.
Addiction is a disease like any other....take for example, diabetes. Some people are born with it and have to have insulin all their life. Some contributed to it by eating unhealthy and can stop their diabetes meds once they get their weight/eating habits under control.

I feel like some were "born addicts" and may always have to take Sub. Some were "made addicts" by chronic pain, etc....and if those issues are resolved, they have an excellent chance of being Sub-free.
Either way, the Sub did for you what it was supposed to do during the time you took it. I know it has saved many lives...opiate addiction is at a crisis in this country.

I am one who is tapering and after going too fast, became sick with w/d. I am now tapering very slowly and have a healthy respect for what a smart, slow taper is all about versus trying to go too fast and suffering. We've all suffered enough....go slow, do it right and look forward to the day that we can come back and post that we, too, are a success!

God Bless You and best wishes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks a lot for everything! And I hope that all of u do well at getting clean or getting to the point of recovery that ur after. Good luck to all & thanks again! Ratt396