It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:10 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

A brief introduction, I'm 53 and have been taking Suboxone off and on for 3 years. My Dr.'s some how keep getting classified as "pill mills" and keep getting shut down. But all in all I have stayed on taking Suboxone even when I had no Dr. I have "consumed" opiates for 15 years never being able to stop for more than 3 days max " in 15 years". For me, it all began with a motocross accident in 1999.( Broke my ankle) Long story short, I got rather attached to opiates. I was wondering how many over 50 recovering, as they say, "never recovered" addicts that are still alive. Maybe we could share our stories for the younger folks out there and maybe help a few with dealing with their addictions.
Thanks, Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:43 pm 

Hey Happy...welcome to the forum. This is good question. How many oldies vs "kids.lol..I have not a clue really. As we ve heard for years and years, "well back in my day we...." Opiate Addiction has no boundaries any more. It does seem younger people are more plentiful, but I sure Im wroug. I see the numbers in clinic every month and in recovery rooms.
As we grew up Happy, out of the sixties and blasting off in the hangover of the 70s we found the playground fun and fairly harmless. Beer and weed wer the norm. People seemed more laid back for sure, or was it that i was young.idk.lol

I didnt use oipates for years like you had Hap. No I was dumb enough to wait till I was 49 to ruin my life. 07 to 2010. Amazing how much can be lost..I ll never make it back up. But these young kids, they have time to have a great life. I wish some of them could see it. Hey nobody could tell me anything when I was 21..huh..

Life is good today somewhat. The new normal as they say. I swear I made that up 4 years ago. Haha..

Hey Happy maybe ya need to find a better doc, at least one that ll be around. I know mine will be and I am grateful to him and there large staff. Dont alway agree with the caseworkers tactics. But all in all we can get our lives back because of this great med...

Did I recover? Is it just one day at a time as they say. ? I feel recovered! Some will say no, it gos on and on. Or its dental that has me thinking this way. The last few months Ive really been confused on just what my recovery is. This great forum has been a key. The educational value of Dr Junig and many members has been priceless. Helping others here at home in my town or clinic. Getting the right information out and dispelling misinformation has been hard.

Hopefully as you said maybe the younger ones will listen..wish i had when I had the chance. But life is ok today.

Glad your here Happy, I know others will be chiming in

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:03 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi razer55, Thanks for "chiming" in! lol
I do finally have a Dr. that I think will be around awhile. I am from a small town in southern Ohio and there are very few options for sub Dr.s in my area. Last Sept, I was going to a community and Family clinic that got raided by the feds and they got shut down and this action turned 1200-1500 suboxone patients out on the streets in one day!!!Not the best idea in my opinion. lol Just last week in my "little neck of the woods", there were 4 herion ODs. This is beginning to be the norm now in my area. It's very sad.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Figured I would chime in...I am in the over 50 club. Also got addicted to my pain meds later in life but addicted non the less! No idea what happened because i had taken these same meds when needed for 20 years (on & off). I would throw out more than i would take then in 2006 i was dx with some major chronic and progressive pain..lots of vic & perc's. When that wasn't doing it my good doc put me on oxycodone (30 mg tab's) & that was when it got really bad.

Finally went to suboxone and been ok for the most part. Glad i did it but still sad i allowed myself to screw up so badly.

Welcome to the forum! Many Great people here of all ages :lol:

Let's see how many over 50 chime in :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Tiki,
Thanks for chimin'! lol I am glad to be here. I too am anxious to see how many "over 50" will leave a message. I also hate that I got caught in the "net" of opiate addiction, but it happened. I have been dealing with this for a long long time. At one point, I used to set my alarm clock to get up in the middle of the night to take a handful of Loratabs and then go back to sleep, then get up at the normal time to go to work because my wd's were so bad.
Around 1999, I ended up getting layed off from work, then my girlfriend of 6 years walked out on me, then I lost my "brand new home" and my "new" truck all in about 3 months.
So, I got a junker to drive, I moved in with my brother and I had a girlfriend named "Oxy"!!! lol But I never gave up, not 1 min, "after" I realized I had a problem. I spent 4 years going to the Methadone clinic. And 3+ years going to Suboxone Dr.'s. Finally I have a decent Dr. and program and I am settled in pretty good. He is kinda expensive at $350.00 a month, but you get what you pay for.
Used to, you never heard of "pain" pills until around 95" or 96". Sure there was Morphine and Percedans, but only "Grandma" had them. lol
I grew up smoking pot and a little bit of mushrooms and acid that was about it. Oh the 70's!!! lol
Then in 1980, "ole" Ronnie Regan came out with the "just say no" campaign. Remember that? lol
Then things started changing after that. They started hitting the pot smokers hard. Then came the 1990"s and the beginning of "pain killer" campaign. Dr.'s gave them out like candy!
Now look where we're at, how many types of pain killers are there? I think if they would just let everyone smoke pot for their ailments, a lot of people that are addicted wouldn't be. But that's just my opinion and another thread maybe. lol Like I said, I am really glad to be here and maybe us "old" folks can help some of the younger ones. We are on this website for the reason.
Thanks Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, I'm not over 50...but I wanted to chime in here anyway!

I have a very close family member who is in that age group who also struggles with opiate addiction. When she started on suboxone and started talking about it several years ago she was very surprised to find out that many of her high school friends were also addicts. She later read an article that described a sharp increase in women over the age of 50 who are presenting with opiate addictions. I honestly believe that there are a lot of "functioning addicts" that were encouraged to get help once suboxone became more readily available to the public. People that may have struggled with addiction for years in secret are now able to get treatment without the daily trips to a methadone clinic and the stigma that comes along with it.

This is a good topic. Depending on how much you guys want to share, we may get some good stories out of the deal! :shock:

Q

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi q,
Thanks for doing the "chime" thing! lol
I see you are a blonde! (wink) That is another addiction of mine! lol
Yes, I believe there is a lot of older "in secret" addicts out there. Hopefully they will read this thread and contribute a story or two. Especially the long time addicts like me.
I have been all over this country and have done so many things, but since I started consuming opiates, I have done nothing but shut the whole world out and have stayed to myself dealing with this. I have no friends and that is a terrible life to live. It just ain't fair. But that is what I have to do to keep from using. The old saying," out of sight out of mind" lol
You have to avoid the triggers. And there are so many triggers to make you want to use. From colors to smells! lol
Come on people, tell us your story! You don't really have to be over 50 to chime in. lol
Thanks blondie! I mean Q lol
Have a great evening!
Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Okay, I have to admit that isn't really me in the picture....I'm way hotter. :lol: :lol:

I'm not really a blonde, but you can call me blondie if you want to. :wink: It kind of reminds me of Burt Reynolds for some reason. Do you look like Burt Reynolds? If so, I might reconsider the blonde hair.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

You can picture me however you want! LMAO
Right now I need to shower because my water has been froze for 4 days and it's finally thawed out. I'm gonna jump in the shower now and maybe I will pop out as Superman! "I highly doubt that!"
I should at least feel like Superman after not having a shower for so long. lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Happy:

Welcome to the suboxone talk zone! I've only been a member on this Forum for a couple of months, but I feel as if I've learned more from this Forum, and received more support, than any other on the Internet. So, my hope for you is that you gain wisdom and support from Dr. Junig and other forum members, as I have.

Me too...I'm a member of the "Over a half-century club" too. <lol> :shock:
And still kicking--that's for sure!

My 17 year addiction to opiates began with a back injury; which led to pills, pills, and more opiate pills. At the end point I was chomping on fentanyl patches, etc.--all in the name of "pain remediation." And all this time, I was in major denial because I never went to the streets for my opiates. As long as I could cop a prescription, then surely I wasn't an addict (!)

I've been taking Suboxone for almost four years now, and besides living with treatment-resistant depression and anxiety, I live a fairly "normal" life. Suboxone and the great doctor I work with who prescribes it have given me freedom from the crazy roller-coaster ride that is opiate addiction, and I am grateful! I've even finally accepted that I will always be an opiate addict. That acceptance has given me the freedom and ability to begin to apologize and mend broken relationships.

And the bonus of it all? Suboxone actually helps lessen my depression, and I am grateful for that too! (But that's a discussion for the posting topic: "buprenorphine and mood."

Anyway, enough of this rambling...welcome to the Forum, and keep on posting!

-gw

Quote:
"Knowledge is power"

"Knowledge is power"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey gossemerwings,
Moving kind of slow this morning. This weather hurts us "older" folks. lol I didn't know if I would meet anyone that has been on opiates longer than me. Nothing to brag about, that's for sure. lol
Oh, I remember "munching" on Fentanyl patches, but my favorite was the 1600mcg suckers. I would put one in each jaw and clean the whole house in about 20 min. lol Oh, the numbing energy I used to get from them! lol
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I thought I new everything there was to know about painkillers, but after reading some of the others posts, there is still a lot to learn.
Thanks Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Happy, Over 50 and on Subs? Child's play. I'm 72 and I have been on Subs for 4 years. I started at32 mgs and now I'm on 8 mgs. I have a good doctor. He wants to bring me to 4 and keep me there. He doesn't want me to go through the discomfort of withdrawal. I am a double amputee, I had a heart attack 2 1/2 years ago. I don't want my body to go through too much. I see him every 6 months and he gives me enough between visits. My insurance pays my visits and my co-pay is $10.00 a month for RX. I'd say I'm pretty lucky. I hear so many stories of the difficulties people have with thier drs and pharmacies. I hope all continues to go well with you. Hello to all my friends out there. Hope you are all doing well. Love, queen(grandma)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:46 pm 

Well hello our Queen. .so glad to hear your doing well. Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for checkin in on us!!!

Razor 56...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Razor, so glad to hear from you. I hope all is well with you. I can't forget my friends here. I love all of you. Take care of yourselves. Hugs, Queenie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Queenie,
Thanks for coming in and saying hi. It's a pleasure to meet you.
I'm glad you have a good Dr. As you said good Dr.s are hard to find.
After years of Dr.s being shut down for being labeled as "pill mills" and methadone clinics,
I have found a good Dr. and program. I have been with this Dr. since Sept. and have settled in nicely.
I am on 20mgs. per day but I usually take only what I need to get through the day. I've worked construction "block layer 15 years and welder" since high school. I am currently a Union Boilermaker.
I have beat my body up pretty bad over the years. The suboxone seems to help with the aches and pains and the addiction I have acquired. These young people have got to learn that all the bumps and bruises comes back to haunt you in later years. I used to do a lot of dumb stuff when I was young and thought it was fun until now. lol
Anyways, nice to meet you Grandma! lol
Just kidding Queen! You have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:42 pm 

Hey Happy and welcome to the forum! Thanks to you, our beloved Queenie posted too! :mrgreen:

I'm 60 and have been on it since May of '10. Tapered down to a low amount, had some surgery and ended up back on 6 mg's where I'm completely happy.

Unless there is some kind of miracle in my life I doubt if I'll ever stop the Suboxone. Not by choice anyway. We have many old time members who just stopped taking it after many years and are doing great w/o it. Some day I may be one of those.

Also, I happen to be an addict/alcoholic since my teen years. Got sober back in '87 but opiates got me by way of pain management. I truly thought I could manage them, and did for maybe 2-3 years. Then BLAM! My addiction was off and running again. Thank the stars I never took a drink or my wife would have divorced me by now. Suboxone saved me from a lot of misery and I have no problem taking it daily until I don't need it anymore. The only part I don't like is feeling a bit tired and it affecting my libido. Other than those two I'm good.

Good to have you with us!

rule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello rule, Thanks for posting on this thread. I have been doing a lot of reading on this website, and boy is there a lot of information to digest! lol I have been learning a lot over the past few days. Been reading a lot of different stories. Some happy and some sad, but it's all part of the learning process.
I know the hardest for me through all of this has been the memories of how good I felt on opiates. The only way I can explain it is as if I was a dog that had run loose all his life and then being chained up for the first time. I fought and fought to get loose, and then finally coming to relalize I wasn't going to get loose. So now I have learned to live with this addiction. But Subs have sure helped.
Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just bumping in case any newbies are wondering if we "over 50" are posters

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:32 am 

Thanks for bumpn it up Tiki..Just reread the thread ..very cool .

Ill be up to 57 next week.june 5th..my fifth clean enough brithday..

Im sure many many members here are over 50. All ages welcome!!!!
Raz...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone!
I've been a member here and on Suboxone 8 mg a day since September 2012. I turned 50 this past December and I had been addicted to opiates and Xanax for about 18 years! Here's the scariest part.... I actually drove a school bus in those days! I can't believe u didn't kill someone or myself! Because I was high ( but able to function) when I was driving! By the grace of God nothing tragic ever happened! But I did end up losing that job, losing my house, and my marriage! My ex husband was the one who would give me a pain pill or Xanax here and there, and well you know how that story goes! I became full blown addicted! My ex brother in laws were all pill poppers taking methadone, oxy, Xanax, percocets! All kinds of drugs! So yea, I'd take that stuff too! Anything I could get my hands on! A very dysfunctional family indeed! Two of my ex brother in laws died from overdoses too! Thank god for Suboxone! My life is so much better! I've been able to keep a job for the past almost 3 years and I've regained my family's trust! I have no plans to stop Suboxone and feel perfectly ok taking it as long as I need even if it's for the rest of my life! I finally feel normal and have never been happier! My doctor I also thinks I need to stay maintained indefinately!
This forum is awesome and there is so much valuable information here! I love reading about everyone's successes!
Have a great day folks!