It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been having same issues for 4-5 years.
No energy,sex drive,and dose just doesn't work like it used too.
I started at 32,then 24,then when strips came out 16 and now 8mg a day.
I dropped to 4 for a year but tiredness got worse but at 6-8 still no energy and depression.
Is there any stimulants other than amphetamines that might boost energy?
I've had testosterone tests,heart,and a few others but all were normal.

I've tried lowering dosage to get more energy but lowering seems to increase tiredness.
Sometimes if I increase dosage energy increases for a day or two but end results are always the same.
If I sit for over 15minutes I might end up falling asleep.
Now that I'm over 50 I am needing to find a dose low enough to keep me out of withdrawal but just enough to perhaps even cause anxiety.

I use to suffer from anxiety and have to use klonopin but now it's the opposite and I don't have enough anxiety.

Are there any antidepressants that might raise energy or anxiety level?

I also have central apnea which just adds to low energy.

Let me ask, is there anyone over 50 that went to a much lower dosage to gain energy or because of low energy?
What dose did you find helped?

I dose 4mg twice a day but used to dose 8mg twice a day.
When I was on 8mg twice a day I had more energy but at higher doses suboxone does change emotions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rob,

Have you seen a psychiatrist? If all's normal otherwise, it could be clinical depression. All your symptoms could be explained by that, and you even list depression as a symptom.

Don't take amphetamines! (Not that you said you were going to :D Over the years I've found exercise....running and biking in my case....the best way to recharge batteries though the way you're feeling
now that's likely the last thing you feel like doing.

I"m not a doctor and claim no special wisdom. Just taking a stab at trying to help.

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi rob,

i take an anti-depressant along with my daily sub dose and it really works great for energy and well being. I also exercise almost every morning for an hour. This has helped so much. I think godfrey has really gave you some great advice. I would def consider seeing a psychiatrist and see where you stand with depression. So many of us addicts started self medicating in the first place because of depression. And from what i have learned you have to treat the addiction and treat mental illness side by side.

Good luck to you and I hope you find some answers

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:03 am 

Hi Rob, You have already received some great advice! I know that I was experiencing depression related to menopause and used the tramadol that I was prescribed to deal with it. That is how I wound up on suboxone. It works like a charm for me threefold....helps with the depression, pain from osteoarthritis, and treats the addiction! I take two mgs twice per day. I hope these responses help! Please, keep posting so that we can know how you are doing. Have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Rob, I can only give you my experience and ideas. When we are young we have new and exciting experiences. As we get older, am 68, it takes work to keep life fresh and exciting. One of the reasons that I started to abuse opiates was work stress and low level depression. One key for me is to always remember what I have to be greatful for. Other aides include exercise, music, friends and individual therapy. My starting dose of suboxone was 16 mg a day. I am currently on 2 mg a day but felt best at the 4-8 mg range. I have never thought that my age effected my dose. Good day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey jean...

Nice to see someone around my age. I agree with all you've said. Of course there's truly debilitating clinical depression which for all intents and purposes "just is." There's often no traceable reason for it. Perhaps that's what Rob has. Or perhaps not. First step is to see a qualified professional.

But getting old is in itself a downer. It does take work. I felt like I was young forever. And now suddenly I find myself a "senior citizen" Are you kidding me? . A great writer once said that the greatest surprise in a man's life is old age. Somehow we all think we're going to be the exception.

So it takes work. You have to be engaged and interested in things as you say. Right now in addition to daily exercise....at least an hour a day, sometimes much more...I work on my piano playing, writing, and have just started to learn Italian. I'm very lucky in that my wife is my best friend and we have really wonderful times together

Things to avoid: Looking in the mirror. Dwelling on mortality. Worrying about health. Giving up !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My prescribing doctor for suboxone is a psychiatrist.
I've tried a few antidepressants but it seems now I get more side effects than benefits.
When I was younger I could take the same antidepressants and wouldn't get the side effects but now I get them.
My anxiety used to be extremely high and I was prescribed klonopin but now if I take a 1/2mg of Ativan I better get in bed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 pm 

I tried B-12 and it seemed to help for a while. Now all I do is keep busy and never feel tired or anything but normal. Coffee also seems to help along with trying to sneak a short nap in around 2-3 PM. Being retired, it is a lot easier. Keep in mind that my naps have always been no longer than 20-30 minutes. Don't fall into a deep sleep or you'll regret it. Set an alarm if need be. I've always been a nap taker though. It's like my brain needs a reboot and it works like a charm, waking up refreshed. Too bad everyone can't enjoy what my naps do for me. It may be due to a severe concussion I suffered as a young adult along with rampant drug abuse. Can I do w/o? Of course. That's why they made coffee!

Sorry if my answer was way out of left field.

r

P.S. I moved your other post over to this one as it says almost the same thing but wasn't getting any responses. Hope you don't mind.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Don't fall into a deep sleep or you'll regret it.

I also take B12 .Turns out I've some sort of anemia.
I wish I could take naps. They'd certainly help but I sometimes
fall asleep for hours if I try, which as you pointed out is not
good. I wake up feeling miserably hungover.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:53 am 

Hi All, I love naps! The best time is about 3pm for me! I have always been a very light sleeper. I never required more than 5 hours sleep per night and have never needed an alarm clock. I usually take 20 min of my lunch hour for a nap. It refreshes me! On days when I am in the field, I usually get home at 5, feed the boys (furbabies), take a 20 min nap, and then head out to my part time job. Of course, they are always much more enjoyable if my husband is free to join me! Napping has always been a part of my daily routine! Enjoy the day everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Made me smile Michelle. You sound like an extremely energetic person. And very healthy! :D
Aren't we so very lucky to have found our way to this amazing medication? It's been serval months
for me now, and I still sometimes have trouble believing how much easier....and how much better...
life has gotten for me. Literally over night!

Rob, keep hanging around here. Just participating in the forum is a healthy thing to do.
I'm guessing you'll get to the root of your problem. There are other things to try
than antidepressants. And it seems they're coming up with new things now. Sounds drastic I know
but ECT can work sometimes. And I'm sure there are other meds to try.

Don't give up. We,ll support you in any way we can.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have already responded to this topic but I have more to share. I don't think that my age(68) has made a difference in how my body metabolizes buprenorphine but, I have noticed that my tolerance to clonazepam( a benzo) has lowered. I took .5 mg at bedtime for years with no problems. The last couple of years I have cut down to .25 mg each night because .5 mg leaves me groggy in the a.m. With my sleep doctors permission, I sometimes skip a dose and would like to stop taking it altogether. When I first stopped abusing opiates, I started card making which has introduced me to different art mediums and recently I have developed an interest in watercolor. Color theory, trying out different watercolors and papers has been absorbing. I started taking piano lessons when I was eight years old which is sixty years ago. I took lessons through high school and college, even thought about majoring in music. I play almost exclusively classical repertoire. I did write an introduction years ago but mainly wrote about my opiate use. I was lucky that my addiction didn't manifest itself until I was in my fifties so I have not had to fight a lifelong battle as many others have had to face. Good day and best of luck to all of the other senior citizens out there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"I started taking piano lessons when I was eight years old which is sixty years ago. I took lessons through high school and college, even thought about majoring in music. I play almost exclusively classical repertoire"

I took lessons as a kid too, and played keyboard in a rock band in high school. Then I let it go for many decades. I barely had a place to live for long stretches and certainly had no money or space for a piano.
I got back to it a few years back and despite a glaring lack of talent work hard at it. At least 2 hours a day; Often much more. I also have resumed lessons.

I play almost all classical too and my progress has been glacial. I'm just discovering Brahms late piano works
and most of them are out of reach. But I can play a few. 118/2 brings me so much joy. Also 117/2 which I'm still working on. Very basic stuff for someone like you I know. But for me major challenges. I listen and listen to professional performance on YouTube, then try to duplicate. I also record myself over and over and over again. Process sounds tedious I'm sure, but I can't tell you how much I enjoy the challenge.

I never play for anyone except my wife and piano teacher. I'm just too nervous, which is ridiculous for a man my age. But it doesn't matter at all. It's the playing...and learning...that's the thing. I just don't have the "look at what I can do" urge that I had when I was younger. That said, I greatly admire people who can play well in public. I don't know how they do it.

G/