It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: outside lab drug test
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doctor does inhouse urine drug tests and this week I recieved a bill from Quest Diagnostics for $788.00 for a drug test. I just started the suboxone program two months ago and there is no way I can afford this bill. I have good insurance and am wondering if my insurance should cover this bill? Also i am wondering why my doctor sent the drug test to Quest this time when I have never gotten a bill for the other 4 drug tests I have taken. I work for the county government and there was a problem with our insurance around this time of the bill but now that is all fixed. Does anyone know why my doctor is trying to bill me for the drug test through Quest?

Post subject: grateful
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am so grateful to be prescribed suboxone. I was doing 10 roxi 30s a day and I needed to stop. I am about to have a son in a month and 15 days and i don't know how I can afford suboxone if I get a 788 bill for a drug test everytime I go to the doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi tlongx and welcome to the forum. That drug test bill does seem to be exorbitant! Have you asked your doctor about it? Did you pay for the previous ones or did insurance cover it? Could it be your first of the year deductible (if you have one)? If the previous ones were covered I would ask the doctor about it as well as the insurance company. Sometimes they just code things wrong and need to resubmit the bill for payment. I think you just need to start making some calls - probably to your doctor's office first. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had almost the same thing happen to me during my first appointment - or one of the first. We never did get to the bottom of it, but it was an error on their part. That much I did find out. In my case, and in many others, the Sub docs do a quick, in house 5, 10 or 12 panel test that they read within minutes. If that test should come back positive, it is only then that they send the sample to the lab for confirmation. I too had this huge bill come from the lab. On top of it, the ordering doctor was not even mine!!! I of course disputed the bill but then, for whatever reason, my insurance just paid it anyhow - although it was reduced to like $100 bucks or so.

My strong suggestion is that you call and ask what is going on. If they never told you that you had a positive test, it is likely that it got sent to the lab by mistake. If you did have a positive test, then that might be another story. Either way, you should certainly ask what is going on and hopefully they can fix it for you. The in house panel tests are very cheap - although not as accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your responses. I have a doctors appointment this afternoon so I will ask my doctor about the bill. I am sure my insurance will pay for it if it was a mistake. I am so glad that I am working towards getting better so I can be a good father to my son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

my doctor took the quest diagnostics bill and said not to worry they would take care of it.