It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

Where to start.... Well, I have been on Suboxone for about 1.5 years now and it has been a life saver. My Dr. started giving me Vicoden/Percocet, and finally the Fentonyl Patch for sever back pain. Little did I know at the time that I would become addicted to the drugs. Anyway, got my back fixed (Had a spinal fusion) and then wanted to get off all narcotics. Tried to slowly ween myself off, and that dident work. I went crazy, could not work, could not eat, could not sleep and didn’t care about nothing but the hell I was going through.

After failed attempts to try and rid myself off of Narcotics, I volenteered into a program that would help me. They introduced me to Suboxone. It was like a dream come true. It made me feel "Normal". It did not give me a "high", but it did make me feel like I had never taken a narcotic in my life which was great!!

Long story short, my Dr who was giving me the Suboxone left the practice. I got a letter in the mail which basically said good luck on finding another Dr to continue your Suboxone treatment.

I went today to a new Dr fairly close to me, and had the evaluation appointment. They then made an appointment for next week to see the Dr. I told them that I did not have any more refills on my Suboxone, and that I would not make it a week without my meds. They knew this ahead of time, but just like most Doctors, they simply do not care. I have not abused my Suboxone, but I just can’t go a week without it. I am already withdrawing like crazy and its driving me insane!!

Please don’t get me wrong. I don’t want, or need Percocet, Vicoden or any other pain killer. I need Suboxone so I don’t want to take the other drugs. My wife does have pain killers in the house because of a recent surgery, but I know I don’t want to go back down that road. I know where that road leads, and I’m not about to do that again!

Does anyone know that if I admit myself to the ER, can they help me??? I have an appointment card for next week that I can show the ER, but not sure if they can help me make it that long or not.

Im just so scared right now, and I have never felt so weak, and about ready to start climbing the walls. I wish I knew of a place where I could buy a couple of pills to make it till next week, but I cannot find any, and nor do I know of anyone who takes Suboxone that could "loan" me a couple of pills until next week either.

Can somebody please give me some advice?? I just don’t know what to do!

Thank you for your time....

Post subject: Doctor leaves practice
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is really a horrible thing to happen. Something similar has happened to me. My Doctor retired. He assured me he was referring me to a Dr. that scripts , with no problem. He gave me 60 subs which will last me 30 days. I am supposed to get a call from the office of the new doctor. I certainly hope that there is no problems since I have noticed that no 2 doctors are alike. As far as your case is concerned. Cant you speak to someone in his practice that could help you? Can you look up doctors that prescribe Subs? Like at a library or ask other doctors. Go to your local hospital ER & tell them you don't feel well & what the problem is and that you need a suboxone doctor. There must be a qay. Where do you love? If I think of anything else I will immediately write ti you. This is so unfair to someone that is trying so hard. Love & Hope. queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi there,
I know there is a rule that ER docs can script for 3 days, even if they are not eligble to write scripts for Sub. I am not sure if the law is the same in all US states though. let me know if you would like the link to this, and I will send it to you.

Hope something works out for you,
Ginger

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Stories like yours drive me fuckin crazy. I don't consider myself, nor most people on this forum, active addicts anymore but situations like yours sure brings back that addiction mentality. We are at the mercy of our doctors and pharmacists and a little orange pull. Just like the old days, I was at the mercy of my heroin dealer hopefully waking up by noon and at the mercy of shady pain clinics, hoping they would not get raided before my next appointment. Your situation sucks and believe me if you lived in Cleveland I would help you out in a second. Try calling some other suboxone doctors and explain your situation. Have paper work and proof of what is happening. That's why I love coresponding with my doctors through e-mail, I can always print out everything that has been said if anything like this happens. I wouldn't even be against taking some of your wife meds to hold you over, the problem is your tolerance is going to be ridiculous after a year and a half of suboxone. Probably not the soundest advice but even if you can get your hands on some tylonal 3's or something mild like that. It should keep withdrawels away without the risk of cat hing any significant buzz. Best of luck. Hope you find a solution.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

queenie1959 wrote:
That is really a horrible thing to happen. Something similar has happened to me. My Doctor retired. He assured me he was referring me to a Dr. that scripts , with no problem. He gave me 60 subs which will last me 30 days. I am supposed to get a call from the office of the new doctor. I certainly hope that there is no problems since I have noticed that no 2 doctors are alike. As far as your case is concerned. Cant you speak to someone in his practice that could help you? Can you look up doctors that prescribe Subs? Like at a library or ask other doctors. Go to your local hospital ER & tell them you don't feel well & what the problem is and that you need a suboxone doctor. There must be a qay. Where do you love? If I think of anything else I will immediately write ti you. This is so unfair to someone that is trying so hard. Love & Hope. queenie

Thank you sooo much for your reply! I feel so alone right now. I really dont want to call the Dr. Office I just went to. As I said, I just had my evaluation appointment today and it went very well. If I sound desperate, I know it will make me look like some guy just wanting drugs. They are the ones that suggested I go to the ER if I needed to until my appointment next wednesday. I live in Plymouth, IN, and there really is no way that I know of to get Suboxone exept a DR. I might just have to try the ER, and see what they do. I can show them my appointment card to let them know that I just need a few pills until Wed. My normal dose is 1/2 a pill 3X per day, but I will survice on 1/2 to 1 pill per day if I had to. I just dont like with draws, it puts your entire life on hold while you slowly slip deeper into the obyss of crazyness....... Thank you again Queenie for your concerns, I really do appreciate it!! I will pray for you, and your current situation as well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Smoothy1125 wrote:
Stories like yours drive me fuckin crazy. I don't consider myself, nor most people on this forum, active addicts anymore but situations like yours sure brings back that addiction mentality. We are at the mercy of our doctors and pharmacists and a little orange pull. Just like the old days, I was at the mercy of my heroin dealer hopefully waking up by noon and at the mercy of shady pain clinics, hoping they would not get raided before my next appointment. Your situation sucks and believe me if you lived in Cleveland I would help you out in a second. Try calling some other suboxone doctors and explain your situation. Have paper work and proof of what is happening. That's why I love coresponding with my doctors through e-mail, I can always print out everything that has been said if anything like this happens. I wouldn't even be against taking some of your wife meds to hold you over, the problem is your tolerance is going to be ridiculous after a year and a half of suboxone. Probably not the soundest advice but even if you can get your hands on some tylonal 3's or something mild like that. It should keep withdrawels away without the risk of cat hing any significant buzz. Best of luck. Hope you find a solution.

Smoothy1125,

Thanks for your post! Yes, I agree, it makes me pretty tick'd off!!! There are those who abuse the program for whatever reason, and therefore the Doctors treat everyone as if they are just out for the drugs and the high. Well, Im sorry. I have done what I was supposed to do, and now I am in need of some help, and they just dont care.

I do have to say that I really will stay away from my wife's pills. For one, I will get a drug test next week before they write me a script for Suboxone. If I have anything in my blood, I am screwed and they will not see me at all again. The second reason is that even though I am withdrawing, I know that taking a Vicoden/Percocet wont do anything. Suboxone is very powerfull, at least it is for me. I would have to have had zero Suboxone for a couple of weeks before I would get any "relief" from my withdraws taking percocet or vicoden. Frankly, those drugs scare the crap out of me because I really kind of forgotten what it was like to be on them. I remember I really loved the feeling, and I would rather not have that experience again if at all possible. To easy for me to fall off the wagon if you know what I mean.

Thank you for your post and your concerns... I might just try the local ER. I think right now it is my only hope. Its all I can do right now just to write this message, but I must admit, it does take my mind off of the withdraws a tiny bit.....

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. It proves that they are some kind people left in this world who care about one another.

I just wish I could take a Dr. force him/her to take suboxone for a year, then take it away all of a sudden. Then, and only then would they feel what we feel when it slowly exits our system. Then, they would know the defination of misory, and hopelessness is.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ginger61 wrote:
Hi there,
I know there is a rule that ER docs can script for 3 days, even if they are not eligble to write scripts for Sub. I am not sure if the law is the same in all US states though. let me know if you would like the link to this, and I will send it to you.

Ginger

Sent PM to ya....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ginger61 wrote:
Hi there,

Ginger

Not sure if you got your PM I sent you, but if you could provide me the link to some additional info on the US Laws, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Ginger!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:26 pm 
So sorry to hear of your predicament! Absolutely ridiculous, is what that is!! Sooooo screwed up!!! Okay....what to do? In my opinion, short of finding someone who can 'spot' you a few Suboxone tabs, is to go ahead into the ER. Take with you your empty bottle of your Suboxone which will show the date, etc. and your appointment card for your new doctor and explain your predicament. Tell them you are in withdrawal...they will be able to obtain objective and subjective data to prove that......your B/P will prob be a bit elevated as well as your pulse rate, your pupils will probably be dilated, your hands will be shaky, etc. They are, to my knowledge, allowed to prescribe you a limited number of Suboxone tablets even without having had the required course to be a regular prescriber. If they are unwilling to do that (which would make no sense, but whatever) then they should write you for some comfort meds.....something to help with sleep and anxiety, and a blood pressure med called Clonidine. Those types of meds can go a long way to getting you through this relatively brief period of Hell until your appointment.
Hope that helps a bit and hang in there! It'll be over soon, but you certainly don't deserve to be suffering.....go the ER and let them help you out. Please come back and let us know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This is an example of how doctors view dependency. My wife was on 10 mg of lexapro for two years. (mainly because she went into depression after all I put her through years ago, but that's another story). She felt it was time to come off the lexapro and our family doctor told her to take 5 mg for three days then stop all together. Now those of you who have ever quit anti-depressants know how miserable the withdrawels can be, much different than opiates but still pretty dangerous to stop cold turkey. Anyway she was practically bed ridden for weeks. I finally convinced her to go back on 5 mg for a few months and she did much better tapering that way. My point is some of the best doctors out there are just so clueless when it comes to stopping a medication. Again best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

setmefree wrote:
So sorry to hear of your predicament! Absolutely ridiculous, is what that is!! Sooooo screwed up!!! Okay....what to do? In my opinion, short of finding someone who can 'spot' you a few Suboxone tabs, is to go ahead into the ER. Take with you your empty bottle of your Suboxone which will show the date, etc. and your appointment card for your new doctor and explain your predicament. Tell them you are in withdrawal...they will be able to obtain objective and subjective data to prove that......your B/P will prob be a bit elevated as well as your pulse rate, your pupils will probably be dilated, your hands will be shaky, etc. They are, to my knowledge, allowed to prescribe you a limited number of Suboxone tablets even without having had the required course to be a regular prescriber. If they are unwilling to do that (which would make no sense, but whatever) then they should write you for some comfort meds.....something to help with sleep and anxiety, and a blood pressure med called Clonidine. Those types of meds can go a long way to getting you through this relatively brief period of Hell until your appointment.
Hope that helps a bit and hang in there! It'll be over soon, but you certainly don't deserve to be suffering.....go the ER and let them help you out. Please come back and let us know how it goes!

Setmefree,

Thank you for the advice, I have been thinking long and hard, and I think I will check myself into the ER. This is just a really hard thing to have to do I guess. Yes, my heart rate is waaaaay up, and my mind is racing 100mpg, so I would guess my blood pressure is up as well. I hope they do see that I am being very honest with them, and just need some help. Thank you for your advice. You and others helped me decide to just go to the ER, and try and get some reliefe from this madness I am going through. I really dont want my kids and my 4 year old to see her "daddy" not acting normal, ya know?? Plus, there is a really HUGE festival here in Plymouth this coming weekend. The Blueberry Festival. Its the largest in the State, and she has been looking forward to going all year, and if I am in this condition, I wont be going with her. It would break her little heart...

Thank you again to all who posted, I will post back yet today to let everyone know how it turned out. I have about 20 minutes left of work, and then Im going to take off to the ER..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Geforse,

I am so sorry your Dr. is doing this, thats messed up!! I think going to the ER is a wise choice!! Good luck let us know how you make out. Sorry again :( :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know if this will get to you in time but if you go to the ER make sure you tell them they can go to the DEA online website and they can VIEW where they are absolutely cleared to prescribe limited suboxone. Of course most ER's are connected with a detox who might be able to do this for you as well. I sure hope this works out ok for you.

If it doesn't.....I have had a couple surgeries on sub and you could take your wife's painkillers to stave off withdrawal. You won't get high, but it will make you functional. Trust me........you won't like them like you used to. All you will think of is when you can get back on your sub.

Finally......your doctor sounds like a dickhead and I would try to find someone else anyways. Grrrrrrrr. What a jerk!

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi again,

I posted this in a pm, but I know you have not read it yet, so will add it here.

I got this link off the other forum I belong to, which by the way, if you have not checked it out, you should, as it is also a very good forum for people on Suboxone. If I were you, I would print itout and take it with you if and when you do decide to go the the local er. I am not sure if doctors will prescribe sun, even in this case, but it sounds like you are getting desperate. I really hope this works out for you.
Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Ginger

http://www.naabt.org/documents/three-day-rule.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, it took 6 long hours before I started feeling somewhat like myself again, but I am here typing right now at 1:30 in the morning, and I am starting to feel much, much, much better!!

I checked myself into the ER about 7:30, and was not seen by a Dr until about 10:30 or so. I was seen by a nurse but that’s about it. They were really busy, so I did understand that other people with severe injuries needed taken care of first. As long as I was at the ER waiting, it helped a little knowing I would get some kind of relief (hopefully anyway)

Anyway, I had a awesome Dr ask me several questions. I really felt he was making sure I was telling the truth, and not some guy off the street wanting to get rid of withdraws. He took a lot of time with me, and I showed him my Suboxone pill bottles to show him I was on a treatment program, and I also showed him my appointment papers for next week. He was so nice and understanding, I was so thankful to get a Dr that actually cared about my well being. He did see that I had higher than normal blood pressure, and it went up even more from the time I first got there, and when he checked it a couple hours later, so he knew I was not lying.

Anyway, he was disappointed in what I had to go through because of my "new" Doctor, but he said he sees that a lot these days. He knew what Suboxone was, but did not have any in the ER because that is not a typical ER drug. He did say that he would write me a script to hold me over until Wednesday of next week. I was soooooo happy and over joyed that I just wanted to jump up and hug him and say THANK YOU!!! I didn’t have the energy though, so I did shake his hand and say thank you so much for talking the time to listen to me, and my issue. There are some doctors out there that really do care; it’s just very hard to find them now a days...

He gave me 10 8MG/2MG pills which is more than enough to tide me over till next week. My regular dose is ½ pill 3x per day, but in desperation, I can take a ¼ pill a day and be ok until about 7-8:00pm, then the extreme weakness, nausea, and crawling out of my skin sets in. It’s not fun that way, but I can function for most of the day at work. Then when I get home, Im a vegetable. After I left, I had to drive 30 minutes to the nearest 24 hour pharmacy because there is not one close by me. That was the longest 30 minutes ever!!! Got in the car, poped a half of pill, and aprox 45 minutes later, I am good to go!! Amazing how such a small dose can make you go from wanting to die, to feeling completly normal.

I just wanted to let everyone know how I was doing, and to say thank you all so very, very much for your words of encouragement, and advice. To tell you the truth, I have never been in any kind of Suboxone forum, or any kind of forum regarding withdraw issues, but I can say that it did help more then I ever imagined just reading about other people’s problems, and having other people reply to my post's when they may have issues of their own.

Again, thank you all so much. You can’t image how much you have helped me today, and I will never forget this day as long as I live. I would like to continue to be a member here on this forum(If you will have me lol) to try and help others any way that I can, and to just stay in touch. Now, the next hurdle I have to clear is with my wife’s insurance company. We have awesome insurance because my wife works at our local hospital in the billing department, but unfortunately, our insurance does not want to pay for Suboxone past January of 2011, which makes me very nervous after what I just went through today. My wife is going to make some calls tomorrow and see what we can get done about that. Sorry for the long post, but I feel so good right now I just want to talk. I will post back on Friday to say hello to everyone! Good Night, May God Bless you all, and I will talk to ya soon!!! Time for a full night’s sleep!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi geforce,

Although I haven't posted on this thread yet I've been reading it since you originally posted. I'm so happy and relieved (as I know you are!) that things worked out for you. What a wonderfully compassionate doctor you were lucky enough to get at the ER. Now you can relax, so to speak, and get on with your life again. Oh, and of course we want you to stick around on the forum.

I wish you the best with your new doctor; again, I'm pleased it all worked out for you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:49 am 
YEA!!! I'm so glad you're feeling better! That worked out exactly as I had hoped for you! That doctor could tell you weren't 'scamming' him because of your obvious symptoms and because you brought 'evidence' with you to verify your credibility. I can't say enough to people, having been in the medical profession for so many years, that if you go in and are completely honest, present anything you have to show you're being honest (the Rx bottles, appt dates, etc) and ask for nothing other than what you really need, usually things turn out okay. I know there are plenty of folks who have had miserable experiences with medical professionals and I don't want to downplay their experiences at all. But I'm also so glad when someone comes back to post that they did have a good experience, because I think it's so important that people aren't afraid to seek medical treatment when it is the appopriate thing to do.
Again, so glad you got exactly what you needed. And as hatmaker said, stick around here with us!