It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can imagine how stressful this would be....my drugstore running out of subs...if I didn't have
a supply stored up and was down to my last tape. I'm new at this. Is this a common occurrence? Is there some sort of shortage going on I should be aware of? I'm thinking if CVS is caught short, a major outlet,
others must be too.

Many thanks
Godfrey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:52 pm 

My pharmacy, which is a smaller mom and pop pharmacy, only had 2 strips last week when I went to pick up my medicine. It wasn't a huge deal because they said to come bk the next morning after 11, but it's also about a 30-40 min drive from my house. So that was pretty inconvenient but hey, at least they had 2 lol instead of 0.

It's not the first time that's happened over the yrs, I think it's happened about 4 times. It dose happen unfortunately Godfrey. That's why a lot of ppl try to stockpile a bit for emergencies.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unfortunately , Yes, this does happen from time to time. Most of the times the pharmacy just needs to order more and it only takes a day or 2.

For me, it is more my insurance having to get a Prior Authorization which took 10 days last time. Thank goodness I had saved up extra meds because this would of been terrible .

My advice to long term Sub users is to "stock pile " a little each month. Doesn't have to be alot but I personally like to have a least a month saved up. When "life " happens and there is a DELAY in filling your meds, it is always nice to know you have extras at home.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys. I think it was jennjenn before I'd even started on subs who so wisely advised I get a stockpile
going as soon as I could. Boy was that good advice! :D Even at that I had no idea how perilous life can feel
when relying an a medication. You really can't afford not to keep thinking like an addict. I've even started shopping around for some sort of home security system in case we get robbed. Expensive! But there are so many desperate young addicts out there. It's really scary when you start thinking about what can go wrong...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Godfrey! Before I switched to rite aid from Walgreens, Walgreens said my doctor did not call in my prescription, but my docs receptionist had just called me to say that he did. I had to wait till the next morning to call doc since his office was closed by then, to see why I was told it was and really wasn't. His receptionist told me he absolutely called in the day before, so off to Walgreens I go.the pharmacist on duty that day told me the reason the pharmacist the day before told me that, was was because they were actually out of stock.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:06 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

See-that's another reason why I should cut back a little bit-for emergencies! I do have some left over each month though- I get a months worth every 28 days so at least it's something!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:57 pm 

I too use CVS for my Suboxone films and only once in 5 years have they had it in stock. Normally it's in the next day but one time it was delayed for 4 days. Didn't matter, my stockpile is over a months worth or more.

Glad you got the message Godfrey.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well that's reassuring rule. But you're on such a small dose I'm surprised they can'f fill it right away.
I'm getting 2 full boxes of tapes plus another couple dozen! It's actually a little embarrassing. Every time I pick them up whoever's waiting on me raises an eyebrow and asks me if I understand I'm going to have to pay 350 bucks (copay). "Yeah, yeah, I know all about it. Grr. Just give me my meds".

HT, that sounds like plenty to store up. Once I get this script, I'll have about 3 months extra supply, so it's hard to imagine an emergency that would last longer than that, short of nuclear war or something, in which case Godfrey's WD symptoms would rate pretty low down on the scale of important things in the world :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:48 pm 

My Walgreens is awesome and you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Walgreens, so if mine doesn't have the supply, they direct me to a store that does. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

The thing is, there was another Walgreens three miles away. If they would have been honest with me, I would've just gone there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:34 pm 

I use Rite Aid and they never have the 2mg strip in stock so I always have to wait until the next day. But, I always have a stock pile as I am still prescribed 6mgs a day and only take 4mgs. My Dr is fully aware and fine with this. I am a little nervous as our insurance just changed and they are saying that I will be required to start with a generic before being prescribed the brand name. I don't want to mess around with a good thing that is working well! I started with suboxone at 24mgs and have weaned down to 4mgs. We will see what happens!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Did you know they have 4 MG film?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:43 pm 

It seems to totally depend on the pharmacy manager or the store manager. Any Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, mom and pop place can be good depending on how well their pharmacy is managed and the attitude of the workers.

I'm pretty sure they have a 12 mg too. What they don't have, unfortunately is lower tapering strips. It doesn't make financial sense for these companies to provide strips that help people taper off them. :/

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Michelle, so does that mean you first switch to a generic bup/naloxone tablet? and then only get brand if generic tablet doesn't work? can you get then back on sub films?

For others, sub film comes in 2mg, 4mg, 8mg and 12mg film strips. (All include naloxone). The 2 mg is same size as 8 mg strip. The 4mg is 2 times the length of the 8mg strip and 12mg is 1.5 times the length of the 8mg strip. Makes me wonder if the larger size of the 4mg strip would make it helpful to use cut for tapering... Wishing all my best, P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pelican,

I've got to say you're an absolute fountain of useful information! Very much appreciated. I think I'll
ask my doctor about the larger 4 mg when the time comes to taper down to smaller doses.

Michelle, me too on the 24 mg starting dose though I used 32 for the first few days. Apples and oranges and all that...but I'm just curious how long it took you to get down to 4 mgs. I'm still struggling to get to 8. Every 2nd or 3rd day I have to take a little more as I get insomnia.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:26 pm 

I have to admit, my pharmacy is pretty awesome. Even though I've had to go bk and get a few strips because they'd ran out, I've never had them turn me away with zero. Plus this pharmacy is the pharmacy my clinic also sends their patients to who're getting their script for their induction in the office. So they go fill the script and come bk to the office to start their induction. Also there's another clinic on the same street as my pharmacy, so they're probably filling suboxone all day every day lol.

I'm pretty impressed even though I've had to go bk a few times to get the full script, that they deal with sub patients very professionally.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds like a good little business for a small mom and pop drugstore, though really I've no idea how much
they would make on such a medication. Probably a fair amount, considering the retail price. It
might be they've found themselves a little "niche" I think is the word. You've apparently got no
shortage of clinics near where you live.

I'm a little north of Boston and there are at least 4 clinics within 20 miles from my house. I like to
say that if the opiate epidemic keeps up bupe clinics will be as common in strip mall America
as tanning parlors and karate studios.

But of course it's a good thing. I understand there are parts of the country where it's not as easy.

G.

P.S. So ti turned out not to be a big deal. Drug store called a few days later to tell me I could come pick it up.
Although it hadn't had extras it wouldn't have been a small thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:39 pm 

I'm glad it worked out Godfrey, being so new on this medication it sucks u already had to deal with it. But, I will say, that u have become so informed about everything, u are the perfect person to handle it.

And I totally agree about my pharmacy probably finding their nitche with suboxone clinics being so close by. I do live in an area that does have a lot of options, but when checking those options I've heard that the amount of money they cost is ridiculous! The one I go to us $350 a month, and the one a street over is $500 a month!!! I couldn't believe it! Another one that's actually in Tennessee closer to me than anything other one, even my own, doesn't seem to have a doctor that pharmacies like to deal with. I heard that pharmacies were refusing to fill his scripts locally. So, even though there's a few options, sometimes those aren't good options lol. It's just something difficult for some ppl to even find a place that's reasonable.

Anyhoo....I'll hush now, don't wanna talk ur fingers off :) cause I could go all day long. My 10 yr old has me playing Minecraft on his Wii U all day and all day yesterday. I can't build too many more horse fences... I'm gonna go crazy lol!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Godfrey- I agree, Pelican is a fountain of useful of information! I go to CVS as well- they say the same thing to me "you know it is going to be $295.00" Yes, yes, I know. I did go to Walgreens at first but one time the tech did the math wrong and told me I was a day too early, although I was actually a day too late(I didn't agrgue, just took my script and left) so I switched to CVS and never went back. I was always nervous going to that Walgreens anyway-one of the techs also works at my daughter's daycare center so I was always afraid she would be there even though I saw her when I dropped my daughter off in morning at the daycare. So probably good thing that I switched, I would have anyway. CVS has always had them in stock, ready to pick up an hour later without any judgement from any of them.

That is crazy Jenn- that there is such a big price difference when it is just one street over!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amy-that's good that your Walgreens tells you which location that has them in stock. I had such an issue getting generic Subutex. The Walgreens I used would not tell me which one had it-and if I found one that did, they would not just transfer it over to that location-I would have to physically pick up the prescription and drive it to the one that had it in stock......and I did