It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been clean and sober for 2 years after being on suboxone for 8 years. it was the toughest thing I have ever done. it took far more than I thought I could give and their are still issues related to being on that drug that I face every day. are there others like me out there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm still on suboxone, but I was just curious if the issues you mentioned you're going through are cravings related or health issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The cravings are largely gone, in fact I had my gallbladder taken out last year and due to a surgery I had back in 1999, it took 8 hours and I was on fentanyl and dilaudid for 8 days. however, the horror/pain I experienced in getting off suboxone was so bad that I was able to easily get myself off of the prescription meds with NO issue.

My heart goes out to anyone on the drug. here are the things that still affect me
* Memory Loss - When I try to remember things that happened in the past, it feels like I am looking through fogged up glasses at best and I have no memories of certain events at the worst.
* Sleep - still get up at 4:00 am every morning 2 years later
* Lethargy - Some days I feel like i'm walking through a thick soup
* Tooth loss
* Liver Damage
* Vision Damage

However some things are better
Diarrhea - first year
Emotions - Started with a feeling of uncontrollable anger and got better over the first year and a half

Probably a fair bit more..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you mind if I ask what dose of Suboxone you jumped from?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was down from 4 of the orange 8/2's and went down to 1 8/2 then 0. about 4 days later the withdrawal was so bad that it wasn't tolerable and I started drinking heavily for the next 6 weeks before the withdrawal from the sub subsided enough for me to stop drinking. from there I switched to exercise to help control my moods (anger is a bad term to use here to describe my mood at that point in time, rage would be more accurate).

during the 6 weeks of hell, I was taken to the hospital twice. it took months before I felt better and almost a year before the diarrhea subsided.

hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I quit Suboxone just over 4 years ago from a dose similar to yours and experienced some of the things you did. My wd was effin' ridiculous; not so much for intensity, but length.

I usually break my wd up into stages; Heavy Acute, Light Acute, Heavy PAWS, Light PAWS. Heavy Acute was day 1 through 10. Light Acute was day 11 through 35. Heavy PAWS was day 35 through 9.5 months. Light PAWS was 9.5 months through 18 months.

Half ass normal sleep didn't start until 9.5 months. The episodes of rage I had happened mostly in the Heavy PAWS segment. Due to an incident involving me slapping my daughters hand while trying to help her with her homework, I had to get a grip on my rage pronto, and did. Diarhea didn't end until somewhere after a year or so. Ended up going to see a gastroenterologist and had a camera shoved up my ass so he could tell my nothing was wrong and to take some fiber pills. The damn fiber pills worked like a charm. I was amazed. The lethargy you mention "can" be an issue if I let it. Up until 18 months or so, I still didn't feel quite comfortable in my skin. It's hard to explain......i just didn't feel very good most of the time. I don't think my serotonin or whatever it is ever bounced back fully. Tired of feeling like that, I started exercising and BAM, felt SO much better almost overnight. As for your other symptoms, I can't say as I've had those.

The only lingering symptoms I have are body temp control issues (can't stand heat, makes me sweat) and some anxiety (if I don't keep my emotions in check).

For me, a life long drug addict who couldn't quit full agonist opiates, those issues are a small price to pay for my years on Suboxone and subsequent wd. Thanks to Suboxone, I'm drug free and I'll always be grateful for it. And really, who knows whether my lingering symptoms are from Suboxone or the massive amount of drugs I used for 2 decades?