It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am currently taking about 2mg of Suboxone. The tablets I have were prescribed to me, but for financial reasons I am no longer seeing any doctors.

I was told by 2 different doctors (addiction MDs) that when you get ready to get off of Suboxone, that there were other medications they could/would prescribe to ease the transistion.

Can anyone tell me what those would be?

The only one I know for sure was a "high blood pressure" medication patch that was prescribed to me during my induction...I didn't use it and when I told the doctor this, her reply was "thats ok, you can use this when getting off of the Suboxone".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

an alpha-2 adrenergic antihypertensive drug which mutes some (not all) of the physical symptoms of withdrawal, though it's no replacement for a true opiate. Loperamide (Imodium) is a peripheral mu-agonist which acts on the gut to reduce the "runs"; the drug is poorly absorbed from the gut and it is quickly eliminated from the brain by a drug pump known as Pgp, so it has little or no central nervous system opiate activity, low enough that it's sold OTC.

Not much, but these have been used when drugs like methadone or bupe weren't used or felt to be undesirable for their opiate nature.

/FooBear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I believe your talking about clonodine when you mentioned the blood pressure med. That does seem to work for a lot of people coming off opiates along with the above advice. There really is not way AROUND detox from any opiate when ya get down to it. Some people have little to no trouble getting off of Sub. But there are quite a few of us that do. If your in that category then wean VERY slowly. Be sure to exercise and get out of the house even when ya don't feel like it. It will not be pleasant at ALL if you do have trouble getting off of Sub. It can be hell. But who knows, you might be one of the lucky ones! Try not to have any preconceived ideas about what will happen, just take it a day at a time. The longer one has been on Sub, the longer it takes to detox, just a fact and my experience.
Drink lots of water also.
PM me if you need any help and I can help you out with some things that might help but not hurt you! Just vitamins. I am here to help if you find that your life me and need some help in getting off Sub.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on clonidine for high bp back in the opiate days. It does help. It actually makes you very tired too. It gives you bad bad dry mouth though, and does nothing for the RLS that opiate withdrawal causes (which I found the worst part)

Scarfire1 is right, there is NO WAY OUT. No matter what you do, you have to go through it, But, is it really that bad? It doesn't last forever. Hard part is staying off of them

One time I ran out when I was on oxycodone and I had clonidine and a few ativan. It actually wasn't all that bad. Maybe 1 night of no sleep. By day 4 I felt better.Not long after I got my refill and whoa did my tolerance drop in 5 days. I often considered just taking for 6, stopping for 1, but you know how that'd go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am down to my 2 last 8mg Tablets...I try to only take 1/4 a tablet (2mg) a day....

...I do not have a doc to get more, so I guess I will start calling some local docs tomorrow and see if anyone will take me.

Last time I was calling Doc. Offices to get on Subs, some said, "you need to test positive"...well I don't need "Induction" to Subs, I just need a script to keep me going.

BTW: no insurance, no job either....

Anyone in the Philly area have a good recommendation of an office I can call...I have seen there are over 100 different docs listed in this area.

I have tried to not take the med, but it only results in me feeling like the world is ending...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:41 pm 
Well, we cant all be as lucky as Jamez and experience very little w/d symptoms :lol: Some of us go through HELL :evil: J/K jamez...i'm sure you went though quite a bit of pain, but it is true that two people with identical opiate usage could have VERY different w/d symptoms.

Anyway, here is what my doctor prescribed to me for opiate withdrawal:

Seroquel - for mood
Robaxin - for pain
Trazadone - for sleep

And like jamez says...NOTHING can be done for RLS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

that is not true--i am 8 days off sub and have had NO rls at all. why? i take kava (the real stuff) and valerian and corydalis at bedtime. kava and valerian both work as muscle relaxers. magnesium will help also and some find relief with hyland's leg cramp med--that is an otc med. i get my kava from z-eclectic-- he has the best! myrrh, chaste tree berry, red clover, irvingia gabonensis and nigella sativa all have opiate agonist properties and can help alleviate some withdrawal symptoms. no magic cure but they do help. dlap, tyrosine, glutamine and methionine are all good aminos to take to try to help re-balance the neurotransmitters that the sub have screwed up so badly. a b-complex helps also along with an adaptogen such as rhodiola, ginseng, suma, maca or ashwaghanda--those can help with the fatigue. immodium will help also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey All:

There actually is something that works wonders for the "kick" and for the RLS. I have used it the last few times and it has worked phenomenally. Its Requip, what Requip does is helps your brain produce dopamine which is what our brains have a hard time doing after abusing it for so long. And it is actually prescribed for RLS. Just for this addict, it worked wonders.

Thanks everybody.