It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi I am new to the forum and have been reading the threads non stop on surgery. I am having hardware taken out of my heel bone, my Achilles tendon rebuilt and a nerve removed from scar tissue in 4 days. I have been on subs for 5 yrs and weaned down to 2-4mg a day. I fell down my stair case almost 2yrs ago and broke my heel and blew out my Achilles tendon while on subs. Because it was an emergency and because I never told anyone I was on sub, I had a terrible time. Was in the hospital for 3 days with a nerve block (I insisted on) and dilaudid pump before the surgery. Every time the nerve block wore off I was in agony. No relief from pain pump. Finally had surgery on day 4 with alot of pain and little relief.

Since that wonderful experience I have needed reconctive surgery on the foot but been afraid to do it. I'v gotten by taking my sub for the pain when I walk (limp). But pain has been worse over the past few weeks so I saw a surgeon who schedule me fir surgery this week...Friday. I tapered down then jumped to Hydrocodone 5mg, 5 days ago.
I woke up at 6am yesterday sweating and agitated. Then realized I'm having withdraw. And the meds aren't helping with my pain eigther. Sigh last night I didn't sleep until 3 am then was up and headed to work by 7am. And the worst part is I haven't been honest with my surgeon. Only my sub doc knows I'm on sub...So in desperation I called him and he said "oh we will just discharge you to your surgeon to manage your pain until your ready to go back on sub." thing is I'm really scared. And to make matters worse the reason I don't want to tell anyone is because I actually work with some of the pekoe that are involved in my care. Does anyone have an opinion on rather it's better to fess up or not? Sorry for the long post:( any help you could give I would raally appreciate. Idk what to do and I don't really have anyone to talk to about this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know I just posted bur one more question. I just broke down and took 1/2 mg sub with my hydrocodone for the withdraw. Saw some people doing this in here. But my surgery is only 4 days away so my question is...will that small amount Block me after surgery? Desperate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Scared, my suggestion is to go to the Talk Zone and read Dr junig post on post op pain for those on suboxone. I just reread it and I know it will help you. And being honest is hard sometimes so maybe your Dr sbould know what is going on with you. Just my two cents.. razor.....

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

In my opinion you should be honest with your surgeon. Even though you do work with some of the people remember they are professionals and you medical information is private. Also if you aren't honest there is a very good chance a lot of your pain will be untreated and nobody wants to go through that.

If your surgery is in four day taking sub now will most likely have a blocking effect on any pain medication they give you for surgery. All the more reason you need to be honest with your surgeon. If you use the print out from dr. Junigs blog and just be honest there's a lot better chance for you to be able to get adequate pain management.

Hope this helps,
Squeaky

Post subject: ceiling effect
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Please read Dr. J's blog for some pertinent information. If you can be at 2-4 mg of sub a day for 3-4 days prior to surgery you should be OK. Just might need more full agonist opioid. I would encourage you to let the surgeon and anesthesia folks know so they can manage your post op pain. If your sub is below the ceiling effect you can get relief with dilaudid etc. Good chance no buzz... Dr. J did a nice presentation at a national meeting using low dose sub and moderate doses of full agonist for chronic intractable pain. good luck

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

Thank you aain for your replies. They took out the screws in my heel bone, scraped and reshaped the heel, cleaned up scar tissue behind the heel, freed up some nerves that were caught in the scar tissue and rebuilt my Achilles tendon using my calf muscle 2 days ago. I did choose to go through without telling anyone. Here is some information on using a long acting nerve block ball that you can take home with you after surgery. Knowing that the sub would most likley block any full opoids, I stopped my sub after tapering for 2 weeks at 2 mg then stopped completely a few days before the survey and took hydrocodone. When they did the surgery they put an injection of a strong nerve block behind my knee to numb my leg from the knee down for 24 hrs. I also asked for a small tube with a numbing medicine in it that was inserted behind my knee. It is connected to a ball that is filled with numbing medicine and lasts 48-72 hrs at home . They even have one that an last for 5 days. And you can turn it up or down depending on how numb you are. My leg has been pain free up until the ball runs out. They gave me oxycodone 10mg to start taking a few hrs before my leg/foot wakes up. I am hoping it will give good pain relief since I have been off sub for over a week.
For anyone that is facing a major surgery on sub I wanted to share the information on the "ball" nerve block. It can be place at any surgery site like a arm, leg, ankle or abdomen to decrease post op pain. The name of the ball is "on Q" I hope this may help anyone that is facing surgery. My surgeon wasn't familiar with it and I had to ask the anesthesiologist to put it in. Be a strong advocate for your self and don't be afraid to keepmaskung for what you need "before" surgery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

SqueakyCleanKS wrote:
In my opinion you should be honest with your surgeon. Even though you do work with some of the people remember they are professionals and you medical information is private. Also if you aren't honest there is a very good chance a lot of your pain will be untreated and nobody wants to go through that.

If your surgery is in four day taking sub now will most likely have a blocking effect on any pain medication they give you for surgery. All the more reason you need to be honest with your surgeon. If you use the print out from dr. Junigs blog and just be honest there's a lot better chance for you to be able to get adequate pain management.

Hope this helps,
Squeaky

Hi there,
I'm always honest with anyone doing any kind of procedure on me that might cause pain. I don't feel like I have anything to be ashamed of plus I have a good relationship with my suboxone Dr. I often tell other Drs. who are not that familiar with suboxone to talk to him about pain management.

However, I myself really want to know that if one is going to require major surgery...where they cut you open, etc. what exactly does the anesthesiologist give people on suboxone to put them out for the duration.