It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Opinions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OK.Went to NA twice,not sure what to make of it.To me its so regimented and animated.First time got scalded for "talking out of turn",newbie mistake,sooory.Wish you could just "talk,share" whatever and not have to reintroduce yourself everytime.My Q is,Im new at this and new to NA-I am going in a couple of hours.Sub is a HUGE part of my recovery and I am greateful for it.Do I share this with the group and tell them to screw off if they say Im not sober yet and can only listen and not speak? If I should share this,do I ask someone the groups opinion on it and if so who do I ask? or do i keep it to myself? or just throw it out there and see what happens? LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:22 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I would go to a few more meetings before I tell anyone, keep it to yourself ..... I went to 1 NA meeting about 10 yrs ago, when I made a comment I was told to " shut up " and listen , that was my last NA meeting, everyone was mean to each other, Mike still at 1mg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:28 pm 
Just PASS, you don't have to talk. The only time I would talk about Subs is after the people I knew well from a NA group and had a sponsor that I trusted. Don't worry, just find a group that feels OK and remember you do not have to talk. If it helps, that is the only thing that matters.

xoxo robin

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Honestly man this is my personal opinion you should not ever have to hide your treatment plan. I mean I know you yourself are not doing this so this is not directed towards yourself. But I ask people this time to time why are you scared to tell the other members you are on Suboxone or Methadone, and I ask this because are you ashamed with the medication you are on? And if that is the case why are you even taking this medication if you are so ashamed you are taking it. I don’t care what anyone has to say to me at a meeting I always share I am on methadone and if people want to judge me that just makes them a sad person in my eyes, because to judge one of said medication is being clearly ignorant and jumping to conclusions about said person without knowing all the facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks bboy.Tonights group was huge.All different ppl from last week.I did "share" my personal accomplshment of getting over my own 2 wk hump since that is always where I falter.The treasurer took me aside after to tell me he identified with what I was saying etc...I did ask him the groups feeling on it and he said there are a couple that attend that are on it.I can still share and its up to me wether I partake in the "clean time".I am not ashamed of this med whatsoever and I dont give a shit what others have to say,if its negative.I am sure that others are on it and dont mention it.I will mention it next time or when I feel the need to as Sub is a HUGE part of me being ABLE to finally recover.I have to attribute me getting past 2 wks because of the Sub.I didnt in no way feel shunned or meant to feel uncomfortable when I told him so I feel better about that. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Personally, I wouldn't share the fact that I'm on Suboxone at any NA meeting. There's a few reasons for this, #1---there are several people in the rooms who would consider me to not be clean and they would pitch a bitch everytime I shared. I just don't need bullshit like that in my life, especially while in recovery. #2---I wouldn't tell the people in NA if I was on Blood Pressure medication or on an anti-depressant or on any other medication, so why would I feel the need to tell them about Suboxone. Not that I was ashamed of it, not at all, it's just none of their damn business what medications I take. #3---NA is full of recovering addicts, some of those recovering addicts are still using and the last thing in the world I would want is a fellow addict to know I have some kind of narcotic on me or with me or within easy reach. I would be afraid that some would eventually ask me for some or worse, go looking in my shit for some.

Good luck with your meetings Melijm, you'll find some where the people really suck and some where the people are really great. Every group of people have a completely different dynamic, find one you like and go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:15 pm 

I'm with Romeo,

Say nothing. They used to bitch about people being on anti-depressants saying you weren't clean on those either. You know what started happening? People started committing suicide because they were trying to please other ill informed idiots who think they are doctors. I remember at least two who killed themselves. Luckily those conversations have stopped for the most part.

You are CLEAN, and the med you take to get there is none of their business. Take your chips and enjoy your newfound sobriety. If and when you stop Sub, then decide whether or not to tell the group.

It is your personal journey. Relish in the fact that you are in recovery and are doing very well.

Of course it's just my usual 2¢

Post subject: Re: Opinions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

melijm wrote:
OK.Went to NA twice,not sure what to make of it.To me its so regimented and animated.First time got scalded for "talking out of turn",newbie mistake,sooory.Wish you could just "talk,share" whatever and not have to reintroduce yourself everytime.My Q is,Im new at this and new to NA-I am going in a couple of hours.Sub is a HUGE part of my recovery and I am greateful for it.Do I share this with the group and tell them to screw off if they say Im not sober yet and can only listen and not speak? If I should share this,do I ask someone the groups opinion on it and if so who do I ask? or do i keep it to myself? or just throw it out there and see what happens? LOL

I understand where you are coming from:
Yes, I find that 12-step meetings are a lot different than group therapy,
mostly because you have to "speak in turn"- you have to wait your turn when you want to
say something, and introduce yourself every time you want to talk- and, yes- this can be
somewhat uncomfortable, at times.

Sub is also a major part of my recovery. I've recently shared it, lately, at an NA meeting,
and nobody said one word. I really do not care all that much about what the other ppl
at the meetings think- but that is just me.

However, Romeo brings up a good point, when he mentioned about the risk of other ppl
potentially knowing that you have subs, and might wanting them- this has also crossed my mind.

As well, I do not "count days" (of clean time), nor do I collect chips.

So, I think that this is a personal decision-
you have to decide for yourself, while taking into consideration
many different factors.

But, I still believe that you can still "share"- whether or not
you tell them that you are on subs.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just go to the meetings that don't skimp on the cookies.

I had a regular rotation of like 4 meetings based on the cookies they'd buy. I had to travel a bit for one, but they would always have Tim Tams - the white ones, the chocolate ones and the mint ones. Heaps to go around. And Moccona coffee too. That was the AA meeting in the rich part of town. I just pretended to be an alcoholic, shared that I'd wet the bed and all that stuff. The other two were NA meetings and there were a coupla other dudes who did my game as well so I had to get in early before they ate them all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks all for the input.I did ask or tell one of the guys that runs the meetings,he said other ppl were on it too.Now,did he tell other ppl? I dont know. Im kind of confused but I know if it weren't for Sub,I wouldnt even be going to the meetings! Id be consumed chasing the blue devil.I attribute Sub to me being pill free and I want to share that with other ppl.Have alot to sleep on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

many people in my area in AA/NA are on suboxone. and a lot of members were bringing up the fact that they do not feel comfortable with suboxone users speaking out in the meetings. i would sit there thinking well". i better stay low in this meeting. i met about 7 or 9 peaple in AA?NA and felt o.k sharing with them at first but it got old fast finding out they were still doing drugs. i would give a couple rides home and stop the side of the road for them and find out later that allmost all of them' were picking up drugs. i put a stop to that. i trusted my sponsor? he told me to give them a ride. my doc say's the sub forum is o.k for me. this is a good meeting for me. i come here every day. and looking for a good therapist.

Post subject: opinoin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

my opinoin". is not every body 's for meetings greater than 5 people or more, and thats a fact. but i do believe more people recover the longest on suboxone recovery. i do remember my sponsor also advising me, i need to come off all my other meds besides subs. they are working on you in the long run to be completely off all drugs. except COFFEE / CIGARS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

See Johnboy that's exactly where NA kills people. I'm guessing they then advice schizophrenics to go off their anti-psychotics?

I was advised to go off my mood-stabilisers because the "miracle of the 12 steps" shouldn't be underestimated. At 13 months clean I had one of the worst depressive episodes that led to relapse. Thanks Sponsor!

Sponsors are just people. And you're expected to put these people on a pedestal and trust them implicitely with your life. Some of these people are really SICK, and I mean SICK. They might have years clean and have worked the steps 15 times, but that doesn't mean they're well.

After attending NA for over 3 years, I steer well clear of it these days. There's so many downright dangerous practices going on in there. And what irks me the most is that it's the 12-steps or the highway. The moment you decide to leave the program and try another method at recovery, everyone in the meetings believe that unless you "keep coming back" you'll relapse and / or die. I still love bumping into the old NA faces and hearig them say "dude you gotta get back to the meetings if you want recovery" The arrogance astounds me. Especially considering NA's track record at success for long term recovery is no better than someone doing it alone on so called "self-will". 1 in 20 peope who attempt complete abstinence will achieve it, regardless of how they try it. NA / AA / SMART Recovery / Willpower / locking yourself in a cupboard for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thats right terj3rker". i ran in to a couple of AA members last night . and walked by said hellow. and what i expected is what i got!! they looked at me and said that's not the way johnboy" i walked by and just smiled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i'm not against AA NA . i just may go for a meeting this week to show i can. and show suboxone can keep a person up going and sober!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I dont see why anyone would take the sub with them to a meeting, its a hour long. Do you really need to keep one with your at all times? I did that with dope but not my sub. I really dont get most of this thread. I dont understand why all the drug talk in the meetings. I guess I go to different type meetings. The meetings I attend dont talk about the drugs they are on. We talk about solution to our problems\approach at life and support the newcomer.

I am not one that takes all the program but I am thankful thay are here for me. Boredom was a problem for me and really still is. So thee meetings for me are cool, gives me a place to go and I do love the free cookies too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh ". never tell them your on suboxone. and i will never tell them again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey melijm,

Do you mind if I ask you if you ever made a decision about telling others in your group about you being on Suboxone?

I certainly understand where you're coming from with wanting to help other suffering addicts by spreading the word about Suboxone. If it weren't for Suboxone, I wouldn't have had a shot in hell at getting clean. I share after the meetings with anyone who'll listen that I used to take Suboxone and that was the only way I could have got clean, I get a lot of weird looks when I mention Suboxone, but then again, that's their problem, not mine.

Anyway, I was just curious if you made a decision. If you don't feel like discussing your decision here, I completely respect that and understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I attended NA pretty regularly for a while and for the most part I found people to be loving, caring and accepting. There were some notable exceptions, of course, and after a while I realized that there were some very sick people there, not drug sick but "not able to function in society" sick. So just follow your gut as to who to associate with and who to trust.
I've been to exactly one NA meeting since I've been on Sub. I asked a woman after the meeting what the thinking was about Sub and she didn't even know what it was. So she went and got the grandmother of the group and she told me that it was between me and my doctor. So I didn't sense any negativity whatsoever from that particular group.
They invited me to a woman's meeting which I'm seriuosly thinking of starting to attend as I'm tapering off of Sub, so I'll have a good support system in place when I'm off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i agree with what romeos saying. but like every body's saying"they'r not doctor's. and do not take that cask off your leg until you dam well know it's heeled.