It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was checking into Butrans and as I understand it, the Butrans 5 (there's also a Butrans 10 and 20) delivers 5 mcg per hour. I was looking at it for personal reasons (as well as because someone here was asking about it). See, my husband has peripheral neuropathy in his feet (not from diabetes, it's genetic) and after not getting much relief from percs, today the doctor gave him Butrans 5!!! I was surprised and downright SHOCKED - but at the same time I'm hoping again hope that it helps him. He's miserable nearly 24 hours a day.

Anyway, do any of you know anything else about Butrans? I know now that it delivers in the microgram range. At that range/dosage, does it mean that it WON'T build up his tolerance that way our high-dose bupe does for us? He's opiate naive - other than the on and off doses of percs he was taking - is he going to get that "high" feeling from the patch? Also, at the small doses, will he or will he likely not build up a dependence to opiates as well?

I know it's for people with chronic pain who need round-the-clock pain relief - and that's definitely him - but I just don't want my husband in the position I'm in, although I'm hoping that since I'm on high-dose bupe that the situation will be radically different.

Maybe Dr Junig will see this and weigh in. But if anyone can answer any these questions/concerns or has any experience with Butrans I'd be very grateful.

Thanks - HAT

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: C'mon folks!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No one has ANY ideas, comments, or opinions? I know some of you are full of ideas and resources as well as are quite knowledgeable and intelligent.

I know it's not often I ask for support, but I could really use some right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Hat

Sorry no-one else has replyed. Im guessing- because the patch seems to just be making it's way into doctor's offices. Anyways, I did a little searching myself and found a couple sites which may answer some of you'r questions.

http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicin ... mal+Patch/ and you could also visit
www.butransrems.com or www.purduepharma.com

So, you'r hubby dosen't take the percs on an everyday basis, right? If Im understanding the info I've found on the patch....it seems like it takes a couple of days to feel relief from it. Because, as you said, the Bupe is delivered into you'r body in MCG throughout the day...so it takes a little while to build up in your system. Once you have recieved a certain amount, you'll then get a steady/small amount of the medication every hour. I think as far as dependence, you'd have to take into consideration the amount of medication your husband is used to, compared to the strength of the 5mg patch. There is a conversion table in which you should be able to kindof figure this out. Also, I think it would depend on how long he plans to use the patch. Even tho the patch "supposidly" has a low risk of dependence, Im sure long term use carries a higher risk. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the reply, Marie. I very much appreciate you taking the time. I'll check out those sites. All I was able to find were sites that mentioned the mg and mcg and size of the patch! Like I need to know the damn size of the patch!

Again, thanks for taking the time to look it up. YOU ROCK! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Marie - those sites are awesome. I'm going over them now and shared them with my husband as well. Thanks again, you've really helped me out. I usually can find what I'm looking for on the web, but this time I was just unable to. I'm glad I reached out on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, at the risk of sounding like a complete lunatic I'm going to tell you what my boss and I were talking about yesterday. In a nutshell, he claims his peripheral neuropathy in his feet has improved greatly since he started taking that vitamin/supplement thingy called Zija?

I don't take Zija, so I can't say one way or the other if he's full of crap or not, but I've known this guy for over 20 years now and he is NOT one who is prone to exaggeration.

BTW, he also uses special orthotics in his shoes to help address his foot issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, Brian has tried orthotics and inserts and nothing helps. He's had this neuropathy for years and years and suffers 24/7. His mom and sister suffer from it too. And he is so stoic about it. But I digress....

Zija is a homeopathic "remedy". If it's working for your boss - and I honestly don't mean to be rude or a bitch here - but it's got to be the placebo effect, because homeopathics are nothing but watered down treatments. Homeopathic literally means "diluted". Such "remedies" are so watered down that there is literally nothing left of the original medicinal treatments.

But don't get me wrong, Romeo, I very much appreciate you taking the time and offering me a suggestion. You didn't have to and I thank you for that. It is rather interesting that you happened to be discussing it, too.

Although I was a bit taken aback that our doctor put him on it, now that I've had time to think about it, I feel better about it. I'm more comfortable knowing the doses are so low. Plus I remembered that Jackcrack has the same condition and she has said more than once that her suboxone really helps her neuropathy. When she went off it for a few months her symptoms came raging back and when she went back on the sub they subsided again. So I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll finally get some relief. Now it's a matter of if our insurance will pay for it! It's always something, isn't it?

Seriously, thanks guys - I really mean it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, me and my friends at work call Zija snake oil, I don't doubt the placebo effect is having it's way with my boss. We're all just glad his friggin' feet don't hurt anymore so he can stop being such a mean F*cker all the time!! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, I've been going over some of the information on the sites that Marie gave me. This is what I find odd. The warnings about overdose and mixing the Butrans with other medications (including antidepressants, antihistamines, & muscle relaxers) or not to take it if you have lung problems and other such issues are WAY stronger than any of the warnings that come with Suboxone, which is actually high dose bupe. Does anyone understand why that is? Is it because people who take Butrans are usually opiate-naive? It just seems really weird to me. Maybe one of our nurses/former nurses can answer these questions. Because now I'm thoroughly confused. It even warns about lowering one's blood pressure and increasing the chance of seizures. Or am I just not aware that those are all the same warnings for suboxone, too?

Maybe Dr. Junig will see this... I can hope, can't I? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
Yeah, me and my friends at work call Zija snake oil, I don't doubt the placebo effect is having it's way with my boss. We're all just glad his friggin' feet don't hurt anymore so he can stop being such a mean F*cker all the time!! :lol:

You STILL crack me the hell up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I still crack ME the hell up too..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope Brian gets some relief with the Butrans, has he said he feels any better? I know it's awfully early to tell if the Butrans is having any effect, but I'm sure a lot of people would be extremly curious to know how it's working for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The script is at the pharmacy. They have to order the patches, plus they need to get authorization from the insurance company. I sure hope they approve it. Then due to the low dose, it's supposed to take 2-3 days for it to build up in his system before he can expect to get any pain relief. What was interesting is that it said that during that transitional period he is supposed to still be getting short-acting opiates to treat the pain until the bupe kicks in. Of course the doctor didn't order that. So right now it's a waiting game. Thanks for asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been a chronic pain sufferer since 2004. Currently taking 40mg Oxycontin and 5/325 Oxycodone, Valium. I have spinal injuries, a metal plate in cervical area, Chiari Malformation causing severe headaches. My doc's been trying to get me on Suboxone. But I've refused as this is for opiate addictions. However, there is a new patch made for chronic SEVERE pain called BUTRANS made specifically from the same ingredients in Suboxone. I'm confused. I was told Suboxone is NOT for pain. This patch is worn for 7 DAYS !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi claudia,

I understand a bit more about Butrans now than I did when I first started this thread. Buprenorphine is the active ingredient in suboxone. It has been used in microgram doses for many years in hospitals as a pain reliever. But when using bupe (suboxone) for addiction purposes, it's used in much higher doses, often called "high dose buprenorphine".

Butrans is generally used for people who don't require the high doses of bupe like we addicts, yet who need round the clock chronic pain relief.

I suffer from both addiction and chronic pain and suboxone DOES help my pain. So if you need both pain relief and addiction treatment, suboxone might help you.

I hope this helps. Ask more questions should you have them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
The warnings about overdose and mixing the Butrans with other medications (including antidepressants, antihistamines, & muscle relaxers) or not to take it if you have lung problems and other such issues are WAY stronger than any of the warnings that come with Suboxone, which is actually high dose bupe. Does anyone understand why that is?

Maybe because HDB (suboxone for addiction) is only prescribed to opiate tolerant individuals? Or maybe because the people at the FDA are simple minded idiots? Take your pick.

Not to get off on a rant, but this "war on drugs" has to stop. Unfortunately, the DEA and other law enforcement agencies are addicted to the money it generates. Decriminalize, legalize, tax, and regulate and the violence we are seeing from the Mexican drug cartels will go away virtually overnight. Treat drug use as a medical issue instead of a criminal offense and the jail population will be reduced by at least half and we will have room to keep violent offenders in jail. In the early 1900's people could order morphine kits from the Sears catalog, and cocaine was used in many pain relief products. And some people think we still live in a free country. HAH ! And why is alcohol the "chosen" drug? If my kids someday feel the need to alter their reality, I'd much rather them smoke a joint and chill out than get drunk and puke and pass out and get in car wrecks. It is the ultimate hypocrisy but typical of an out of control government.

Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

There are many treatment for this chronic pain, in that one treatment is taking the powder of moringa in your diet. This moringa is known to be miracle tree and a product like Zija, a energy drink is made from it. It is best for the body and cure many diseases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:09 am 
New Poster
New Poster

HI, guys. I was wondering if you have ever used zija juice for energy purpose. I have started body building and I I heard that zija is an instant energy provider. Do you think a beginner in body building should start taking zija juice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

zija is an energy drink which is based on the nutrient-rich plant known as Moringa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^^^ Weed is something ya smoke, it's based on the nutrient rich plant called marijuana....plus it gets ya high, Zija won't do that for ya!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there. I am new here, but wanted to add my opinion of Butrans. I was on it for almost a year. 20ml patch every 5 days. It helped me to function and kept my pain at a manageable level. I would say 6 on bad days and 3 on good days. Just today, I started suboxone due to problems with the summer heat and keeping my patch on. It is very sensitive to heat, moisture (from sweat, shower or pool).

I think Butrans is a very effective medication for chronic pain. There were times I wished my Doc would allow me to take another opiod when I was in a Fibro Flare, but I got through them by resting and taking Flexeril & lots of hot baths.

What I liked most about Butrans is that I didn't ever feel like it was loosing it's effectiveness. I did not build a tolerance. It was only when I started getting into the heat and pool a lot that I had a problem.

Hope this helps.