It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sassy - you just went from Butrans to Suboxone? That's a big jump in dose. Suboxone is also known as "high dose bupe" (buprenorphine). I'm just thinking you won't need much suboxone if you're only on Butrans. A "normal" suboxone dose (for an opiate addict) would probably be much too high for you, based only on the little info you provided. I just wanted to mention that in case you weren't aware of the difference in strength between the two. Just curious, what dose did your doctor put you on? Hope you have a smooth transition, dose-wise.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for the quick reply, hatmaker!

Yes, I did a ton of online research about the jump in dose from Butrans to Suboxone, and that is what made me so nervous. There is very little info on going from Butrans to Suboxone becuase it seems most people got to Butrans from Suboxone (the other way around).

The patch was effective for keeping me functional, and okay for my pain. I still had flare-ups that put my pain to about a 9 and my daily pain, for the last few months, has been anywhere from a 5 to an 8. Butrans was excellent for me, but I do think that due to my past history of addiction, (I've been sober for 12 years now), that Suboxone may be very suitable for me.

It was the summer heat bleeding out my patch in 24-48 hours that finally got me to make the switch to Suboxone. Like I said in my previous post, I am outside a lot with my kids, at the pool, etc. My patch was working okay before the summer hit, but once the heat was a factor, it felt like nothing was getting in.

The doc started me at 8mg. But, gave me the option to start at 4mg. From what I have read, 2mg is not a bad starter dose, and when taking Suboxone for chronic pain, multiple doses is better than once a day dosing, so I may try to take 2mg 3 x a day to start? I took my first dose about an hour ago, and just did 4mg. I have been in a lot of pain this week, so I wanted to see if the 4mg would help.

There is so little info out there for switching from Butrans to Suboxone. Even my doc said I was his first pt to go from Butrans to Sub. I'm sure he is learning as he goes as well.

Any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How are you feeling today? I'm frankly stunned that your doctor put you on 8 mg of suboxone coming off a normal dose of Butrans! I'm thinking that if that's all you've been on then you probably don't have the high tolerance that those of us who went from active addiction to suboxone have. I would think that 8 mg would knock you on your ass. How much did you take yesterday and how did you react to it?

I personally think that you won't need very much sub at all. I'll leave it at that for the moment - for now, how did that first day go for you?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Just got put on Butrans
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Greetings. I am brand new here. Found this while looking for Butrans info. I may tell my story some time but not today.
I was switched from Oxy 15 x 4/day to Butrans 10 with a perc 10 x3 for "breakthrough"
I am 24 hours into my patch. I think this might be just what i need. I'm sure its too early to tell.
So far so good. Didnt wake up sick this morning. I'm hoping this works for me. Taking an oxy and having
it wear off, and hurting and feeling bad till i take my next one was what i call the roller coaster effect.
I have not felt like that today. my back hurts, but not like I need an oxy for it.
I am hoping this will take care of me. I dont know anything else about this patch.
If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

zija is an energy drink which is based on the nutrient plant known as Moringa. The good thing about zija is that it does not have any side effect.
zija

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone

So, I took 4mg of Sub when I got my RX at about 3pm on Tuesday. I had been in a lot of pain for about 3 weeks because the patch had not been working. I finally felt some relief when I took the 4mg. I was at about a 2 on the pain scale(I'll take that ANY DAY!!!).

The next morning, I took 4mg, and did okay throughout the day. Some pain here and there, at it's worst, a 5. Took another 4mg that afternoon, about 4pm, and it made me really sleepy. I laid down for about an hour, and was able to get up and do dinner, etc with the kids.

The next day, took 8mg in the am (the Doctor told me to dose once a day- 8mg). It did not do a ton for my pain, but it made me sleepy. When my husband woke up at 1pm (he works the night shift), I went to bed and slept until 6pm.

Since then, I have been taking 4mg in the am and 4mg in the pm. I don't feel much different than I did on the Butrans when it was working. (My daily pain with Sub has been about 4-6).

I was hoping to get more pain relief from Suboxone. I know everyone has very different levels that they need for pain control.

I, too was shocked that he started me at 8mg. I thought that would be a WAY too high dose, but, I am equally shocked that it has not been too high. I am going to ask to move up in my dose. Maybe dose 3 times a day. I get busy and it seems like my pain creeps up on me. I think the Sub is working for about 3-4 hours and that's it. Then, my pain amps up again, and since I have been on the patch, I don't think about it much.

I did take 8mg last night, after taking 4mg in the morning. I was in a lot of pain after a busy day with the kids (my husband is out of town). It helped a lot. It was like my first dose, where I actually felt pain relief (down to about a 2). Whereas, all other doses have been more of a slight lessening of my pain.

I don't expect to be pain free..it would be nice...but I know that it's not going to happen. However, I wold like to be able to function at a 2-3.

I have always had a VERY high tolerance to medications, drugs, etc. So, a big part of me is not surprised. I was only on Butrans for as long as I was because it was the only thing my Dr would give me. I has been through Hydrocodone for 6 months, Morphine for about 2 months and Fentanyl for about 2 months. All of them I ended up using more than I was suppose to...not to get high, but to try to get rid of my pain. The Butrans made me functional, but I lived in pain with it. It was never below a 5.

So, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to believe that I am a good suboxone candidate. I know you guys have been through a lot o experience and research, but isn't it true that everyone is different? Some people do great at 2mg a day, whereas others need 24?

I would love to hear any ideas suggestions for correcting my dose.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you're doing well with YOUR dose, then don't compare it to that of others. Especially since you're dosing for pain. And yes, some people need much less than others. When I take an 8 mg I get a lot more in the way of pain relief than when I take 4 mg. Maybe it's all in my head, but I've tried on occasion to lower my dose and every time my pain shoots up, just by going with 4 instead of 8.

Oh and dosing three times a day is reasonable for pain patients. Sub's pain properties last on average 4-8 hours. (Some say 4-6 others say 6-8).