It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you wish 2 know about my cxurrent situation, look on here at my other posts concerning this topic etc..Anyways, I was wondering does anybody have/know sum good advice/remedies 2 make the horrible opiate WD a lil bit easier 2 get thru? I've looked up lists online b4, and found sum decently helpful ones, and #1 on most of the lists that I've come across is 2 have sum kind of benzos first off..Which I'm prescribed those, and yes I know they can be very addictive also, but I hardly take em anymore these days and only take about 1mg when I do need em (klonopins)..So if anyone out there, on here would have any advice or helpful information for me and anyone else who's going thru the same stuff, it's be greatly appreciated...Thank you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Clonidine worked very well for me. It's a blood pressure medication that's prescribed off label for opiate wd. I took .1mg twice daily. Many people on this forum who have quit Suboxone have used it to help ease wd and most everyone reports that Clonidine works pretty well.

A benzo helped me too, but I was so dang afraid of getting hooked that I only took them for a few days.

I tried a bunch of the herbal stuff and none of it really worked for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok cool, if I end up getting that bad I'll have 2 ask my doc n c if he'll prescribe me sum of that..I'm kinda hooked on tramadols after I stopped my subs..Thinking that since they were a "non-narcotic" that it wouldnt cause such a problem, so now I have 2 go back on the leftover emergency subs I saved incase sumjthin happened, and take a small dose 4 a week or so n ween off of them instaed cuz its probly much easier than those damn tramadols...Thanks 4 your advice/help, I appreciate it..

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:12 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Sickofit--
I feel you. I did the Tramadol deal once. For me it was FAR worse WDs than getting off Suboxone. I am currently at Day 23 of cold turkey stopping from 8mgs a day for two years. The worst is behind me and I feel stronger each week. I think there will always be some measure of discomfort--and we have to prep ourselves for that. But everyone is different. The main thing for me was a definite commitment to the process--hell or high water--and keeping the goals of a free life, no more lies, and enjoying my friends and family again. Good luck. You can do it.

brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey thanks Brian..yeah the trammy WD's can be pretty damn harsh from what I've been reading etc..this is def the longest I've ever taken the trams (about 4 weeks in a few days, 50mgs tabs, down to 4 or 5 a day now) and I never had 2 bad of Wd from em b4 but it wasn't pleasent at all, so my plan now is 2 start taking my subs I have saved for emergencies like this..I plan on starting back at like 2mgs (what I got down 2 when I weened off last month) and maybe a half of an 8mg tab if I'd need it..I'm thinkin I'll take em 4 about a week, def no longer than 2 weeks, and ween myself off of those yet again, which wasn't that bad at all...Yeah addicition is a rough bitch man, I wish u all the best of luck in your sobriety now and pray that u stay clean just as well as anyone else who knows this pain that us addicts go thru..Thanks 4 the kind words man..Take it easy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi sickofitall, I was following your other thread, and I'm sorry you're facing Tramadol WD. That shit is a living hell. I agree that going off of Sub will be better. You could start a 2 mg for a few days and then drop in increments of 0.5 or even 0.25 'till you get to 0.5 or less. I think it will make things a lot easier.

As far as WD remedies:
1.Lots of hot baths and showers
2.Epsom salts in the bath (I'm not kidding). Magnesium is supposed to be real good, but hard to absorb in supplements. I'm told that w/ epsom salts the Mg is absorbed through your skin.
3.Exercize
4.and IMO orgasms (produces endorphins)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Obvious remedy is more opiates. Aside from that all the replies have been good. I've always found Imodium to work well. I've heard that it was developed to be a morphine like pain killer but didn't work out that way but they found it to be good for stomach problems. So the theory is that it does tinker a bit with the opiate receptors. Now this could all be a bunch of bs but there are links out there to support this claim. You'll probably find them on bluelight.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, Immodium works remarkably well. It's my understanding that it acts on the "opiate receptors" in our stomachs. Immodium is chemically very similar to Demerol, but it is NOT an opiate, it does NOT cross the blood brain barrier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I did some looking into immodium (loperamide) and it is in fact an opiate, but like Romeo said it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. Below is a quote from an article I found on it. I also read that opiates increase the absorption of nutrients from the digestive track (by slowing down the movement). I wonder if that's why a lot of us gain weight.

"Loperamide may also work as an aid in detoxification. Several medical journals, as well as countless unofficial accounts report significantly diminished withdrawal symptoms upon dosing with loperamide; however, there is a lot controversy on this subject. At the very least, loperamide will aid in reducing the gut-retching diarrhea that comes with most opiate detoxifications. Loperamide works for some people, and doesn’t work for others. As always, one should always seek the professional advice of a doctor before starting any sort of therapy or withdrawal treatment."

Post subject: Tramadol W/D
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:02 pm 

The Sub should be able to handle any w/d's from the Tramadol. When I was first put on Sub, I was taking a lot of them along with my Norco and Soma. Being put on 24mgs solved it completely. I was a mental mess for several weeks but really no discomfort I can remember.

But if your getting off the Sub then of course you'll have trouble with the Ultram w/d. Maybe go higher on the Sub until you get it out of your system and then taper down? That all depends on how fast you want off everything.

For me, Sub solved it all. Now I am trying to solve the Sub habit. This is much easier and better than trying to stop all those drugs all at once. At least I've had a little over a year to get my brain straight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I should have been clearer when I said Immodium was not an opiate, it's not an opiate that you're gonna get high off of, that's what I meant. You can certainly take it during wd without worrying that you're substituting one opiate for another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I used to use immodium all the time when detoxing for my stomach and it would always ease the withdrawal a bit, this was before I read about it being an opiate like substitute. It definitely worked for me. It's hard to do (I hate to even suggest it) but a little exercise will help a bit. Even a small walk around the block, just stay close to a bathroom.