It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hello everyone.

i haven't done much internettting lately and have missed the comfort i get from reading this website. it has been a rough couple of weeks in the buffalo area. been struggling with death, addiction, suboxone questions.....

there have been SIX deaths in the past week and a half from opiate/oid overdoses. three at once (misjudged chewing of duragesic patch stolen from grandmother), then one (oxycontin, fen), then two(oxycontin), then one(heroin). one of the folks was the 23 year old son of a friend, the other was one of my friends from NA. this is the first time in life, clean or using, that i've experienced drug related death in such quantity. and it has me thinking about my own life, death, and recovery, and about how fragile life is for real.

and of course, no one really HAD to die. but it happens every day. and i just wonder if it could happen to me if i got talked out of taking suboxone and relapsed. so i'm just going to stay where i am, quit worrying about my "taper", and find a new suboxone doctor who is interested in long term treatment.

i hate addiction and the destruction it causes. suboxone treatment really seems to be doing what it should, and for that i'm grateful.

till later,
jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, that's really awful, and I'm sorry for your loss.

You're right, addiction is hell and the destruction is senseless. Good on you for realizing that you need the support Sub is giving you right now. There's no reason to hurry up and taper off if it's working well for you.

I wish that the authorities in the US would take more of a harm-reduction approach to opiate addiction and just drugs in general. I wonder how many senseless deaths would be prevented if people weren't scared to seek help for an overdosing friend or if every opiate user had a bottle of naloxone on hand.

Keep posting and taking care of yourself. It seems like you need extra support right now, and I hope that you're able to find that here and in your "real life" as well.

-allie

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm really hoping we move more towards harm reduction as well. I think it's time we finally recognize that while 12-step programs work for some, the vast majority of addicts will relapse after trying to get into treatment (if they're still alive) following abstinence based 12-step programs. I know after my relapse things got alot worse in a hurry and I even ended up O.D.ing and nearly died. So in my opinion helping someone find something that really works the first time around is crucial (obviously) because they very well might not be alive for a second chance. When medication assisted treatment programs like Suboxone have such an incredibly higher chance of success why are so many of our treatment centers still using 12-step programs as the standard? It's time we start really looking at the facts and realize just how serious a problem opiate addiction really is in this country and utilize treatment that actually works for the majority of addicts.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not saying or implying that medication assisted recovery is superior to 12-step programs I'm just saying statistically speaking patients utilizing medication have a lower rate of relapse.

Post subject: yes indeed
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i will say (as i have many times) that a combination of the two is working for me.
i was introduced to 12-step recovery at a point of desparation, then i started suboxone. i have been able to apply a great deal from NA and AA, and most importantly have found a supportive awesome group of people to keep around me, and have also been able to help others.
i know a few people who are on suboxone and working the steps, and was thinking of starting a local support group for us. even sarcastically calling it "Not Really Clean".

back back in the day i volunteered for a harm reduction group called "dance safe" back in the rave days (Diary: i read your blog and saw you were a "raver" too... House music is gonna save the world!! :) ). i even sat in on some Harm Reduction Coalition meetings when i first moved to Brooklyn. while i disagreed with some of their ideals, i agree with a harm reduction approach in general. it has saved so many lives. i remember being appalled at some of the things found in ecstasy ... errmm... i mean "ecstasy" back then.

thanks for the support.

jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi jp,

Glad to hear your methods are working well for you. I think maybe the accidental ODs and deaths help clarify things for the addicts left behind.

Take care,

Bob