It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mackenzie Phillips was on a popular TV show in the 70's and 80's-- can't remember the name of it offhand. But today she was on the Today Show to talk about her new book-- she was fielding questions about her life-long heroin battle with heroin. She talked about how she got clean-- that she hasn't used since.... 2008! They showed a clip of her on the Today Show in 2008, where she was talking beating her drug problems-- and today admitted that she was on heroin in the clip, at the time of that interview.

The reason I'm writing is because the interview really brought home to me why I am such a proponent of Suboxone. I have seen so many people go in and out of using over the years-- opiate dependence is such a chronic condition. I thought about that actress this morning talking about how THIS time she is REALLY clean, for good. I wonder if she is taking Suboxone.... I recently met a psychiatrist to the stars who practices in LA, and he says they prescribe suboxone to many of their wealthy patients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

equally as you wonder if she is taking suboxone during the 2nd interview, I wonder if she is high this time as well.

It is so easy to claim sobriety, and even preach it to others when you are using. It is easy to tell everyone else what to do, but hard to help yourself....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had that thought too. A patient today told me that a few years ago she was appearing on some show after the celeb news announced that she had beaten addiction, and as she was flying in for the show she was busted at the airport with a bunch of heroin... I don't mean to 'dis' her as we all know the trouble of battling the beast, but I think people should avoid announcing their sobriety after only a few months-- which is nothing, really. My own massive relapse took seven years to come around-- I never saw it coming.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I do not claim to be an expert on recovery but I am very educated on being dependent on some substance to fill a personal void. As I am going through school to become a CD counselor, I see and hear all sorts of people acting like they are experts on recovery after a few months or longer. I just think to myself, "Just let them talk their game, the truth will come out." I used to get allot of feedback from one girl in particular about the fact that I do not agree with all the ideas in 12 step recovery and I am destined to fail because of it. I went round and round with this girl telling her that there are many ways to stay in recovery- but she refused to listen. She was so devout and I know that she claimed sobriety chips for over a year and was using the entire time.It came out after she stole meds from patients at the hospital where she worked. I think for the first year, anyone in recovery should spend that time completely working on self and keep their opinions of others to themselves, for their own recovery's sake!