It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I abused pain pills for six years, eventuallyclimbing the ladder to heroin which cost me another six years. Have been on a large dose of subs for nearly five yrs.My doc is insisting i stay on suboxone, despite no relapse in all that time. Im ready, been ready! And if i collected the money (cash only) my doctor does off me id be in no hurry either. Hoping for suggestions for a quick yet mildly painless way to get away from this poison!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:14 pm 

If I were taking poison id just stop taking it, today.....
However, since it is saving me from a life of useing maybe keep taking it.

The Stopping section has plenty of tapers there. If your dr won't help you then try one of the many there.

There is No quick, mild way to do this.
Slowly over a loug period of time, 2mgs at a time if high doses are being taken.
The best thing you have going for you now is that you hate Buprenorphine. You ll need that to get off..
Some comfort meds would be helpful too..

Welcome to the forum SickofSub...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So a doctor gives you one of the precious spots that 3-4 people beg me for every day... he is educated enough to let you stay on it long enough to actually get better, instead of being one of the greedy jerks who ignore the 96% relapse rate after taking it for less than a year... You take it and avoid the life you were living, where (if you are like most of us) you died a thousand deaths, withdrawing day after day.... and now the doctor and the medicine are the bad guys?

The doctors who churn are the ones who make money. But even in their case, unless you haven't noticed, doctors are not exactly rushing into treating opioid addicts. Would you borrow $200 K and spend 8 years in med school and residency, after college, only to treat people with your attitude?

Usually I'm hard on doctors, as many of them struggle to truly understand addiction. But some people give patients a bad name too!

As Razor said--- lots of advice here on tapering. It isn't easy, but many people have done it. At the web site www.suboxsearch.com you can search the forum or my blog for 'taper' and you'll find more stuff than you could ever read.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey sick,

Yeah I agree with razor. If it were poison you'd be dead! But it helped you get your life in order, and now you're ready to stop? There is no pain free way. But here are some tips to get through:

1. Make sure you have plenty of nutrition drinks ie ensure because you will have no appetite for a couple weeks.

2. Stock up on some vitamins before your last day. B12, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and potassium. These are what I still take everyday. Some may come together, some bought separately. I take 3 diff supplements.

3. Stock up also on fluids such as gatorade, vitamin water, water, and some food you like. Also shop for a week or so as you may not feel like going out.

4. Take off about a week from work if possible. I was off 10 days and everyone there thought I had a bad flu.

5. Underestand that this will hurt a bit, its supposed to hurt a bit, but your body is doing what its supposed to do.

6. Get back to work/normalcy in youir schedule as soon as possible. Being off with nothing to do makes it worse. Push push push yourself, the distraction is the best thing.

7. Exerxise does help. However even the thought to me was unappealing for about a month after jumping. I now try to fit it in, and it does help. Be as active as you possibly can, as soon as you can. I know how daunting it can seem. But most of it is actually pushing yourself to start. Once you've started its not that bad. Its the motivation. Kick youself in the ass its worth it.

8. Sleep sucks. Try melatonin and extra sleepytime tea, double strength. If after a couple weeks you're still struggling talk with a dr about sleep meds.

9. For the first couple weeks, use ibprofen, immodium, and ferequent epsom salt baths to ease the pain. You are going to feel it, these make it more tolerable. I was at a point where I was taking 4 ibps every 4 hrs, able to stomach only nutrition drinks (I forced 2 a day) and taking about 6 hot baths a night. Not a day but during the night. Whatever you have to do.
10. Realize this is neccessary, and will def pass. Not as intense as w/ds from dope, but lasts longer.

If you are truly ready it will suck, but you'll get through it. I've been through it, I can help you understand how its going to go. But I want to say, sub heolped me tremendously. And I would not change going on it, or staying on it for years like I did. It was just my time to be done, and if now is your time, you will stop it successfully.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Seriously, if you need to stop, I'm here for advice and encouragement. But its not a bad thing to be on Suboxone. Either way, this is a great source of knowledge and support! Please keep posting, or private msg me if I can be of assistance. This is really a great forum. Everybody here means very well, and you will find us in all phases of recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Idk if its just me, but it feels almost like when I reply to a post the op seems to drop off the face of the earth...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:38 pm 

Don't worry qom. You're not the only person it seems to happen to. I often feel the same way. It's pretty tough when you spend a lot of time posting to help someone and they don't respond. I hope this guy is having second thoughts about the way he's bad mouthing sub and that's why he's not posting back, but you've at least tried to help him. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

As Amy said! And then there are just some people that just come here to bitch about how bad Subs are. You can help everyone that comes to this site. Then there are the "1 Post Wonders" lol They post once and it makes you wonder what happened to them. lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

First of all..this is the first forum ive EVER taken part in, which made such degrading comments, even more.."entertaining." Second, im a single parent working to pay for med school and continue my education, building on several degrees. Shortly after i posted this i picked my son up from kindergarten and havent stopped moving since. Third, i didnt wanna hafta spill my entire long drawn out painfull experiences with addiction to ask for suggestions.. ill blame that on me tho. I was unaware people sit clued to their computers and devices waiting to rip apart someone asking for help, especially on a suboxone forum. I would have kept my phone in my hand ignoring the needs of myself and my child to be put down on a forum. The first three yrs on subs i had a wonderful, dedicated, compassionate sub dr. Sadly, he was a three hr trip total from home and i just couldnt continue making the trip. With his blessing i left hos office and stay in contact with him today. My current dr only communicates thru text, every two wks between mon and wed, when he has the time, he contacts me telling me to meet him at one of several offices he has between 2-4, 3-5, at six..whatever random time he wants. If i cant i must wait another two wks, waiting for a text. Really no different than a dealer. He has six degrees and is very intelligent, but has never asked me how i am, how i feel. Ive asked what reasons he has for wanting me to continue and he talks in circles. My liver doc has been trying to contact him for over two months. It is poison to me in many ways. Im grateful for no longer living the life i was, and give much credit to subs and my initial dr. It makes me well, then sick, not w/d sick, its like a overintoxicated sick without being intoxicated. Well..i felt the need to explain myself more and tell those of you who are/were so easily offended to fuckin take a breath!! Chill out! Thank you to those that actually tried to help!! NEVER AGAIN will i participate in a forum though, shit, some people are just too much lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

razor55 wrote:
If I were taking poison id just stop taking it, today.....
However, since it is saving me from a life of useing maybe keep taking it.

The Stopping section has plenty of tapers there. If your dr won't help you then try one of the many there.

There is No quick, mild way to do this.
Slowly over a loug period of time, 2mgs at a time if high doses are being taken.
The best thing you have going for you now is that you hate Buprenorphine. You ll need that to get off..
Some comfort meds would be helpful too..

Welcome to the forum SickofSub...

Razor,

This is an awesome post! Sometimes I forget the nights I drank coffee to stay awake, sure I would die if I closed my eyes! That doesn't happen anymore which is a wonderful thing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First off,
I apologize for my remarks!
We see this too many times where people come on here to just bash Subs and leave. You have to understand this. We are good people. We just get tired of it and I myself, joke about everything so excuse me for trying to make everyone laugh at your expense.
Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey sick,

Sorry if I offended you, too. I know how you feel about not being able to find a good dr, and feeling like you have to and are ready to quit. I've been there and have been of 11 weeks today. Please don't be so quick to judge us here. All everyone is trying to say is we are all here because subs are helping or have helped us get where we are. No one is laughing at your expense. As for my comment about people dropping off the face of the earth, that was not directed toward you, but it has happened a few times to me since I joined here like 1.5 months ago. But we are here for each other no matter where we are in our sub journey, so please reconsider staying if you want advice, stories about experience, or just support and encouragement. This forum offers all the above!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:51 pm 

Hi, I know that when I started suboxone a year ago August, my plan was to be off of it within one year. I have a wonderful doctor who did not pressure my or tell me I was crazy to start with a plan to stop. I started on 24 mg and I have weaned myself down to 8mgs. I was also experiencing some depression related to menopause and pain in my knees as a result of osteoarthritis. We do have many people who come here to bash suboxone and us for taking it and supporting each other. Qom has been really successful and has children that she deals with too. It sounds like she would be a great inspiration to you. I wish you much luck in your journey. We will be here to support you on your journey and pick you up when or if you fall if you make the decision to stick around.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:45 pm 

When you call the medication that helped save a lot of lives here poison, and don't say much else in the process, what do you expect from us? Balloons and rainbows? You didn't post on "sub sucks" after all.

Plus suboxdoc is the doctor who created this forum for addicts like us. You do realize that you were being pretty insulting to sub doctors in your first post.

If you want to start over with less aggression you would actually receive all the support you wanted/needed and more. Plenty of people are irritated when they are trying to get off sub. That's pretty natural. Maybe think about meeting us halfway.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:33 pm 

I agree with Amy. U kinda came out swinging with the poison comment. Just understand that this forum is very pro sub and we think it's great if someone wants to taper off and they will get all the support here they could ask for. I take it very personal if someone talks negatively about it, especially after it has helped save our lives. We aren't keyboard warriors, who just sit around waiting to attack ppl lol. But the poison comment definitely set off our radars and I think that's completely understandable considering how some ppl come around just to be negative and get drama started, it happens often. U may not have meant ur post to sound like that, but it did.