It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Patients & treatment providers always say u never forget your first drug of choice. This is so true at least in my situation. Back in the dark ages (1976), I was chosen to be queen of a prestigious Mardi Gras ball and parade. Here in New Orleans, that is still quite an honor, I was thrilled except for the fact that I used to refer to myself as (tastefully chubby). Oh hell I was fat-not there is anything wrong with that. A friend from collage gave me the name of a Dr. that gave out diet pills (escatrol) it was probably the precurser to crystal meth. Anyway i had more energy that I ever thought possible, the pounds melted away like magic and my magical night with my family and the man that I loved was a complete success!To cut a long story short I was taking pure speed and it got to the point where I had to take more and more to get the same effect. The Dr. refused to write anymore RX so I went though hellacious withdrawal-So depressed I couldn't get out of bed for a month. Then I discovered alcohol. It seemed to ease some of the misery. Fast forward 4 yrs. I married a wonderful man, but I and the alcohol destroyed any happiness we could have had. My father left me quite a bit of money when he died, so I really had no reason to quit drinking, (the one thing I have a problem with is that I made his life a living Hell). People can't believe how much money u can go through in a short period of time. I woke up in a penthouse apt. with 500.00 in the bank. I had to get a job! the story continues to this day. Thxs for reading. I really need support right now & I know this is the place!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:53 pm 

So do you have a buprenorphine doctor at this time? Are you an opioid addict?

How can we help you?

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks Amy for the reply. I have been on suboxone 8mg. 3x day for the last seven years. I have a wonderful dr. who actually knows about this drug. it is amazing to me how little the medical profession knows even what it is or what it is used for. I recently had a total hip replacement and before surgery my sub dr. said he would be more than happy to talk to the surgeon, anesthesiologist, anyone that would participate in post op pain management. I was in panic mode. it was as if no one would listen about my concerns re: sub and anesthesia, pain control ect. Would I go through withdrawal during surgery,would I wake up during surgery etc? My guardian angel was hard at work because they did the procedure under spinal--I was shocked-Can they really do that and not have me feel anything? Yes! they did give me something that made me sleep but I was breathing on my own the whole time and don't remember a thing. Also there is a new drug that surgeons are using to put into the would right before surgery is complete-It is like a long acting numbing med that is released slowly after sx. Needless to say I was completely pain free for 6 whole days after sx. My problem know is they prescribed 10mg hydrocodone for pain at home. My sub dr. is aware of everything. now I wish I had never gotten back on the hydro-highway. They haven't helped that much. Now I am wondering how bad it will be getting back on sub. I guess one day I'll post my whole story. I have perused this forum for the last 5 yrs. but never got up the nerve to post. Your reply meant so much! Now I know this is where I need to be. thank you again I'll keep u posted--Anne

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 pm 

Yes, please do keep us informed! Wow, you've been here about the same amount of time that I have, although for me it will be six years in October. But I can't believe we haven't met yet in all of that time! You must feel like you know a lot of us fairly well, but we don't know you. I'm glad that we will get to know you now!

So, do you think that 24mg a day is a good amount for you or do you feel like it may be too much? It's certainly ok if you are happy with the dose you're on. And I'm glad that you have yourself a good doctor! My doctor is great at coordinating with my other doctors if I undergo a surgical procedure as well.

Let us know more about you!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dosing for pain management with bupe is a tricky one. Ill ask my dad before I comment on that. However, in regards to ORT, I simply suggest watching some videos by Dr. Junig, and vastly research the ceiling effect since bupe is a partial agonist. I hope you share what you find. My opinion is of no relevance. Much love

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Anne. Sorry that you needed hip replacement but that is amazing they did it like they did with you still being on Suboxone all the while. Very interesting. That is one thing I worry about having to ever have surgery one day while being on Suboxone. We're glad that you became a member of the forum finally. I too spent a lot of time reading and getting to know a lot of the people here before joining. Well hope too hear more of your story later. That is quite the dose your on. I have a friend here that takes 3 a day, 24 mg so that is not unheard of. See ya around the forum, Sincerely, Angie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

mystere2011 wrote:
Patients & treatment providers always say u never forget your first drug of choice. This is so true at least in my situation. Back in the dark ages (1976), I was chosen to be queen of a prestigious Mardi Gras ball and parade. Here in New Orleans, that is still quite an honor, I was thrilled except for the fact that I used to refer to myself as (tastefully chubby). Oh hell I was fat-not there is anything wrong with that. A friend from collage gave me the name of a Dr. that gave out diet pills (escatrol) it was probably the precurser to crystal meth. Anyway i had more energy that I ever thought possible, the pounds melted away like magic and my magical night with my family and the man that I loved was a complete success!To cut a long story short I was taking pure speed and it got to the point where I had to take more and more to get the same effect. The Dr. refused to write anymore RX so I went though hellacious withdrawal-So depressed I couldn't get out of bed for a month. Then I discovered alcohol. It seemed to ease some of the misery. Fast forward 4 yrs. I married a wonderful man, but I and the alcohol destroyed any happiness we could have had. My father left me quite a bit of money when he died, so I really had no reason to quit drinking, (the one thing I have a problem with is that I made his life a living Hell). People can't believe how much money u can go through in a short period of time. I woke up in a penthouse apt. with 500.00 in the bank. I had to get a job! the story continues to this day. Thxs for reading. I really need support right now & I know this is the place!

my 1st doc was coke. but back then it was free (for me) i really have no desire to do it ever again since i did so much in the 90s! new orleans is one of my favorite places! i haven't been there since i was 21, 20 years ago!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Mystere , I had major surgery while on buprenorphine and was rx hydrocodone for post op pain. It worked pretty well for the pain, but no intoxication. I went back on buprenorphine as soon as I could and it was such a relief. I did not realize it, but I must have had some withdrawal go on when I was on pain meds. As soon as I took my first dose of buprenorphine I felt so normal and relaxed, much better than on the hydrocodone.