It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi guys. If I've been snorting 2 mg a day(bio-availability saves $) for approx 6 months how long until Suboxone is out of my system? Does half-life remain the same? If so, I imagine it would be about 3 days. Please help if possible, thanks- I'm having surgery soon and will need pain relief.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'll try to answer, and maybe someone will jump in if I am wrong, but you are just absorbing it through a different mucous membrane. Your body is still breaking it down by the same process so I would venture to say that yes, it would keep the same half life.

But I would think that on a 2MG dose that you would have plenty of open MU receptors open (I think I've seen 60% open somewhere), and therefor would have no real issue with pain relief as long as your doc understands you may need a little more, not a lot more, but more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:03 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

the half life is the same because its the same drug but the absorption is less than sublingual

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks so much. Does this mean it will be out of my system fully in 72 hours since half-life is 36? I don't want to have to take a lot of morphine and some doctors don't go past a certain limit anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The half life is not a set-in-stone, or exact time frame. It varies, and could be between 24 hours and up to 72 hours in some people. Everyone is different, and their metabolism's are also different. The 36-37 hours is a mean, or average for most people.

And half life means exactly that = HALF. In a set amount of time, half the drug dissapates, or leaves your system, and half would remain.

If for example you took a 2mg dose, and the half life for you was actually 36 hours, then after that 36 hours has passed you would have 1mg leave your system, and 1mg would still remain. In another 36 hours, half of that 1mg, or .50mg would dissapate, and .50mg would still be left in your system. Once again in another 36 hours half of the .50mg, or .25mg would leave the system, and .25mg would still remain. This process continues until it's all gone.

And that's for a single, one-time 2mg dose. If you take more sub each day it builds in the system and how much actually remains gets much more complicated to figure. Taking it for 6 months as you have will give you some build up as I mentioned, but not an extreme amount like it would had you been taking a much higher dose each day.

You should have nothing to worry about with your upcoming surgery. The doctors will be able to put you under without any problems, and able to control your pain afterwards. Your doctor or surgeon will, or should probably ask you to stop taking the sub anywhere from 1-3 days or so before the surgery happens. It's sometime difficult to just stop, so if you could begin to taper your dose until the surgery you would be in good shape. My dose was down to .50mg and I had absolutely no problems with my surgery at all. And pain relief afterwards was also a non-issue and easily controlled.

Hope this helps. Try to relax and not worry too much. If you can get the dose down to .25mg - .50mg before surgery, or stop completely a day or two before the surgery you should be good to go. Don't worry about the half life, or how much is in your system so much, just getting your dose down should be your goal right now in my opinion based on experience. Take care and let us know how it goes.

Karen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

l i v i n wrote:
the half life is the same because its the same drug but the absorption is less than sublingual

Thats not true at all, nasally bupe has a bioavailability around 50% so its almost twice as effective as subL. which can be read anywhere on the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Wow, ok so I had surgery late yesterday after stopping 2 mg snorting every day for 6 MONTHS approx 48 hours prior (though my last suboxone dose was only 1 mg). It went fine and the fentanyl they gave me is working wonders today, I don't even need much for it to work, not to mention the amazing buzz...

I think snorting suboxone makes it leave your system faster or at least doesn't mess with receptors as severely because it's only been approx 70 hours since my last sub dose and fentanyl feels like heroin almost without even taking much. I also wonder if it's because I don't eat gluten or carbs and I drink lots of water and eat vegetables every day and do weight training.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think it has more to do with the fact your last dose was low, you had 48 hours to process that low dose, your normal dose was only 2mg so at that level only around 40% of your receptors are saturated. So by the time you got the Fentanyl you had plenty of room for it on your receptors, not to mention it is a very power opiate.

I don't think it has anything to do with the fact you snort it or so much your diet. The exercise will help as well as you probably metabolize it a bit faster.