It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Online Sponsors?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone! As I stated in my introduction, I'm a newbie to this kind of thing. This question may have been asked in another forum, if so, I apologize for being repetitive. I have been in Sub treatment for 10 months. I go to the sub doc and see my counselor weekly. My counselor is concerned because I have very little support in my life. I know one of the steps of recovery is being honest about your addiction, however, my family is extremely judgmental, and my mother is elderly with health issues, I fear that this news would literally give her a heart attack. So, because of this, my counselor suggested that I look for a sponsor online. Has anyone heard of this or better yet, has anyone obtained a sponsor online? Where do I start? I'm a very timid person, and take meds for social anxiety issues, so he feels that online is the way for me to go. Does anyone have any experience or info they can share with me? Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Online Sponsors?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:08 pm 

Welcome to your in life Life!.. glad you suboxone and Suboxone Forum. I should suggest also reading Dr Junigs TalkZone. This Man knows everything Suboxone!..

I should ask, what kind of sponsor is this for? Meani g, you need a 12 step sponsor? Or looking for a re overy person, a "go to" person who has bn there before?
Reason im asking is, an addict alone is im need of friends an straight forward help. Being areound other addicts with re overy , I feel , is the best way to learn, and stay clean. Are thinking of an AA or NA Group?
We addicts are all a bit shy at first. Getting honest is important but what ive come to understand is this dosnt mean everyone close to us needs to know all about us.
Family members who wont understand or could be hurt by lea3ning of our disease maybe should be left out of the conversation, at least for awhile. Tricky, I know.
you ve said family is judgemental, well so was mine.Till they saw how much work ive put into my re overy. And some never did come around. So be it. This is your recovery . Its YOUR Life..love that name. Its great, and you should be very proud where you are today.

One line sponsors, I really dont know or have heard much about this. Im a little confused as to why your counselor wouldnt have you in and around recovering addict support in your town. Ya, its now easy thing to do to go out and trust an make new clean friends, but there out there. We started a suboxone support group in my clinic. We can talk openly about anything there. Wish every town had one..

I guess im just tryn to give you a pep talk here, and I dont know you, I just think its worth a try to get out an hit some different meetings along with your counselors help and now being a member here. Please keep posting and reading. Your doing great IML!!

Im razor..on s6b 39 months..lots of meeting..and im Clean Enough to live today....

Razor.......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Razor thank you so much for the pep talk and positive words! It means a lot to hear from supportive people who know what I'm going through.
My counselor pointed me in the online direction for a couple or reasons. The first reason is due to my shyness. I think he fears that I wouldn't open up in a face to face meeting. The 2nd reason is due to my situation with my children. I don't have a car, and don't really know many people that are willing to babysit all 4 of my little ones.
I'm really proud of how far I've come. I remember days of asking myself "Will I ever feel normal without this??". I am determined to continue this sober life. It's so nice to find a place to talk to people who get me.
I am guessing that the type of sponsor he wants me to find is a 12 Step sponsor. I've done searches for them, but I'm not sure what sites are trustworthy.
Thanks so very much for your reply! :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:46 pm 

Ok, well ill tell you what, ill ask around tonight and see if any of them (na folk), have a site with on line meetings.. I know they are out there.

And ya, you have your hands full with 4 kids. Wow. Bet they see a new kind off mom these days!!! No carand babysitter would be a problem . No doubt..

Anyway ill see, an get back to you...raz...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:20 pm 

Hi IML! I haven't heard of finding a sponsor online, but it kind of depends on if you're talking about an official 12 step sponsor.

I have a couple of people I met on this forum that I can call, text, or email if I'm having an issue with my addiction. Is that the type of person you're looking for? Someone to hold you accountable and listen when you're troubled? I think you can establish that kind of relationship with people on this forum. The bonus is that we understand about suboxone as well. Still, there is no official way of cultivating that type of relationship with someone here. Maybe you could start PMing with a couple of likely candidates (after you've read some things they've written) and develop friendships with them. There are a lot of supportive and caring people here. :)

Amy