It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I found this forum and registered a few minutes ago. I work online full-time as a blogger so I know most forum boards are a little sensitive about people signing up and then immediately launching into a major barrage of questions.

But I'm coming from a sincere place and just want some useful feedback from other suboxone users.

I found suboxone in October of 2007 and after some trail and error with how to best use this tool I decided to take it slow and just approach treatment from a maintenance perspective.

A couple of months ago my doctor proposed that we "go ahead and get drug free". He wanted to taper me off the meds and I agreed to try it on.

It sounded great in theory, but when we actually moved my dose way down I found the experience most uncomfortable. My doc was firm about wanting me off the meds, and after giving serious thought I decided to contact a doctor in my area who runs a maintenance program.

I changed doctors and am now on a program of no pressure maintenance. At no time will this doctor try to force me to taper and quit.

The meds allow me to be comfortable without even a trace of craving for street drugs. I feel great here and I'm really enjoying the opportunity to explore spirituality and personal development in a whole new way.

HOWEVER $275 for the office visit plus the $300 or so for the meds every months is nothing to sneeze at. Certainly it's a bargain compared to what I spent on my addiction, but I'm still interested in finding a way to cut costs.

Having said this: Does anyone know if it's possible to find an online consultation and prescription? I know people with other medical issues use this tactic to save on doctor visits and can even get 2-3 months prescription from one consultation.

I'd love to save a few thousand dollars each year if the option exists. I have an existing chart obviously so it really seems like there should be some option to the tune of what I'm looking for.

I would greatly appreciate any genuine and useful feedback. Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dr Junig does telepsychiatry but I think you have to see him in person at least once to be in his sub program...and it might be full anyway.

Other than that, I really have no idea. You could go to the Suboxone doc locator and look there to see if anyone else offers a similar service. Shelwoy posted a link to it in another thread.

Do you have insurance? Sometimes insurance will reimburse you for office visits - you just have to file the paperwork. If you don't have insurance you could try Reckitt's needy-meds program, or look around for a pharmacy discount card.

Another suggestion would be to ask your new doctor if after a few months you could see him less often - I know he can put refills on your scrip, or if he would be willing to work on a sliding-scale with you. 275 clams for an office visit seems kinda steep...

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the feedback. :wink:

I'll roll some of those suggestions over. I don't have insurance but maybe I'll look into that - last time I checked it was absurdly priced for self-employed types like me.

The pharmacy discount card sounds great... that didn't even occur to me. Also maybe I can just level with the doc and see if he'll work with me on a 2-3 month script.

Ultimately I'm certain it will work out. I may just have to kick a few ideas around first.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, after 2 years you'd think that you could go more than a month between visits. Espeically if you've been a compliant patient.

Best of luck to you.

PS - How do you make a living as a blogger?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

After 1 year without any positive random drug screens my doc let me switch over to only having to be drug tested occassionally when I come in for office visits he also changed my appt. schedule to every two months and writes the script for 1 month and then 1 refill. It's made things both more convenient and more affordable you might also look into maybe dropping your dose a little bit to save money. When I first started on Sub I was at 16mgs daily after a little while though I was able to switch to 8mg and can't tell a difference in how I feel (there wasn't any withdrawal or feeling of withdrawal). Regarding your other question about online consults I'm fairly certain that in order to prescribe controlled substances a doctor will need to see you in person at least once (at least to do it legally) and then as Diary wrote some doctors will do following exams over the phone. Hope you figure out something that helps and I'm glad you realized there's nothing wrong with staying on maintenance I'm always sorry to hear that there are still crazy doctors who will literally be forcing their patients back into a relapse, or potentially even death. How successfull do they really think someone's going to be if their forced? Don't they realize addicts have a real problem with authority?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I do not know about telepsychiatry, but if you need help with cost, you could try,
Needy Meds
They have helped others using Suboxone treatment!
Please keep us informed of you situation! Thanks and welcome to the site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Matt2 wrote:
Don't they realize addicts have a real problem with authority?

Man that is so right on. :lol:

The doc who wanted me to taper is a good guy and he talked about long-term treatment, but at like .25 mg per day. I'm just not interested in that right now - perhaps in the future.

Thanks for positive feedback everyone. You never know how a forum crowd is going to react to newbs and I appreciate the atmosphere here.

shelwoy wrote:
I do not know about telepsychiatry, but if you need help with cost, you could try,
Needy Meds
They have helped others using Suboxone treatment!

I appreciate that link. I wouldn't feel right asking for that kind of aid because I don't have cash flow issues.

I'm just looking at medical expenditures in the same way I look at any other investment/purchase. It makes good sense to cut costs on this rather large, regularly occurring expense if at all possible. I'm confident the right opportunity will manifest and the feedback I've gotten here is a great start.

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
PS - How do you make a living as a blogger?

There are actually lots of ways. It all starts with enjoying the process of writing/blogging and having a desire to share your insights on one or more topics.

From there it's just about learning some basic online marketing fundamentals, getting into a routine, and figuring out how you want to create your income streams.

For example...

I know people who make a killing with Google Adsense. Others do really well writing product reviews and getting paid affiliate commissions for their sales.

My primary revenue is from the ezine mailing lists I build with my blogs. I create targeted email lists and promote either my own info products or recommend relevant affiliate products to my readers. Because I focus on providing good content (i.e. not always pitching something) the subscribers respond well when I make an offer for a product that can entertain them or improve their life in some way.

I hope that's a useful explanation.