It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok.... First I want to start by saying I am so releived that people keep it real in here and dont judge!!! Ive been looking for some straight forward answers for so long and just find people knocking others (all over the internet)

I have been taking suboxocone for almost 4 years. I take a very low dose 6mg a day.... but sometimes I take 8. I gained alot of weight after my kids and decided to have gastric by-pass surgery. My surgen new nothing about the drug and my sub doc told me to stay on sub and take pain meds on top of it. This was my first surgery and went in totally Ni-eve,, everyone who had it said the pain was no big deal and went home within 4-8 hours after surgery...

When i woke up after my surgery I WAS IN SO MUCH FREAKING PAIN OH MAN!!!! IT WAS HELL I ended up staying in the hospital for two days and was getting insulin injections my blood pressure was through the roof.... they gave me liquid vicodine every two hours but I kept asking for my suboxcone because I thought that maybe it would help because thats what my sub doc said. They (the hospital staff) ignored me every time i asked for it.... I suffered and what the hardest part was was that I was caught off guard by the whole thing I didnt expect the pain

Needless to say I survived the surgery it was very painful but worth it guys I have lost 100 lbs my surgery was April 4th 2011!!!

So now heres my dilema.......I want to have some plastic surgery. I need a tummy tuck and breast lift. I deserve this guys.... I know its not necessary for survival and all but to me it is!!

My sub doc once again wants me to stay on suboxcone???!!!! is she crazy...no but no one gets it....... Sooooo what I am going to do is tapper down my sub ( which I have already done) and Im thinking about 5-4 days before my surgery taking an opiate in-place of my suboxcone. No one will listen to me I have suggested this but everyone (surgeon and sub doc) are afraid of relapse blah blah blah......Listen Im not gonna relapse.Everyone judges you as a drug addict and seem to care less about your pain. So Im taking matters in my own hands....I will have to let you guys know how it works out.

But what I have been trying to find is someone who has gone through surgery that replaced sub for opiates a few days before and had successful pain management

I would love to show you all some before and after pics (weight loss ) but cant figure out how

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:47 pm 
I'm on my phone so I'm gonna keep this brief.

First off, CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!! That is a really big deal. Even with a gastric bypass, it takes a lot of willpower to stick to the rules and drop the lbs.

Now for the surgery. 6-8 mg/day of Sub is NOT a low dose. It will fully block pain meds. What you are asking about stopping the Sub for 5-6 days before the surgery and taking a pain med instead will work if you can get the pain meds..but I have literally only once heard of a doctor willing to script pre-surgery pain meds to someone on Sub for this purpose, and it was online not IRL. So yeah, if you can get them do that..

Most importantly, you gotta lower your daily dose before the surgery. If you can taper down below 2 mg/day, you would probably only need to stop the Sub 48-72 hours before the surgery to get most of the proper effect from the pain meds, as far as blocking goes. Unfortunately, like I said 6-8 mg is in NO way a low dose of Suboxone. You may have a problem getting relief from pain meds bc your tolerance is simply too high for the doses you were being given. Suboxone will give you a monster tolly if you take too high of a dose for too long (which is not long at all).

It really bothers me that I'm seeing all these posts about people having surgery and being in pain. Doctors do NOT adequately inform people on Suboxone of the risks of being on Suboxone. You can't take 8 mg/day of Sub and then go have surgery and expect to be able to take 10 mg of percocet and get pain relief. If you're on Sub, and you're not willing to do a lot of research, you'll never find out any of the answers to your questions. I think it's unfair to us patients that so many doctors are so freakin misinformed. We do NOT deserve to suffer needlessly!!

You may wanna hold off on elective surgery for awhile..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Ironic, it is extremely frustrating to know that so many Drs simply don't give a shit if we suffer thru pain. If it were me and could get full agonists a week prior I would definately switch. According to Dr Junig you would require around 60mg a day of oxy just to break even and stay out of withdrawl. You will have to make sure your Dr is willing to prescribe these high doses to you.

A tummy tuck is a major surgery and involves quite a bit of pain. If you can't get your Dr to prescribe adequate pain relief then you may want to wait until you have tapered lower or are off sub.

Losing 100lbs. is a huge accomplishment and you should be extremely proud. I understand your urgency to finish your transformation and you most certainly deserve it. There is an article at the top of this section on how to treat pain on sub. It is very well written and has a lot of reputable sources. I would print it and bring it to my surgeon, hopefully he will read it and take it seriously.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/bupe.postop.pain.

PRINT THE ABOVE AND GIVE TO YOUR DOCTOR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did read a paper by some doc that was posted in another thread. It was amazing. I think we can all agree that docs are phobi c and dont understand. I already had my appointment with my plastic surgen. I have emailed with my sub doc and the nurse for the surgeon. We have gone back and forth. I also sent my sub doc a link the paper. No body cares. So have taken matters into my own hands.

To the first person who replied to me thanks for the wake up call ie 6mg is not a small dose. I am in a web of people who take sub. My mom. sis and husband they all take more than me. They always run out of their meds, dont take them right blah blah....Im the responsible one ....so I had my head up my ass to far to realize that Im not perfect......so thanks

as far as waiting for this surgery....I should but I cant wait. the money to have this done literaly Fell into my lap and If I dont do it now I will never have the money or the opportunity again.

thanks for not judging me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ohsosheana wrote:
I did read a paper by some doc that was posted in another thread. It was amazing. I think we can all agree that docs are phobi c and dont understand. I already had my appointment with my plastic surgen. I have emailed with my sub doc and the nurse for the surgeon. We have gone back and forth. I also sent my sub doc a link the paper. No body cares. So have taken matters into my own hands.

To the first person who replied to me thanks for the wake up call ie 6mg is not a small dose. I am in a web of people who take sub. My mom. sis and husband they all take more than me. They always run out of their meds, dont take them right blah blah....Im the responsible one ....so I had my head up my ass to far to realize that Im not perfect......so thanks

as far as waiting for this surgery....I should but I cant wait. the money to have this done literaly Fell into my lap and If I dont do it now I will never have the money or the opportunity again.

thanks for not judging me

Of course, no one would judge you! Congrats on your weight loss. :D

I strongly recommend you put your pain management plan into writing and go over it carefully with the anesthesiologist. Spell it allll out. I had a c-section one week after jumping off Sub in '07, and they gave me repeated Fentanyl injections to knock the Sub off my receptors. Even after a whole week with no Sub, it was amazing how much Fentanyl I could be given and feel absolutely nothing. Then, I had a hysterectomy in October, over two months after completely stopping Sub. I had a tough time getting pain relief. I was given a lot of IV pain meds. I don't want to scare you or deter you. I just want you to go in with a solid plan, so you don't end up in lots of pain.

Good luck! Here's to a flat belly.

laddertipper