It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: At one month of suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am at the one month mark of my suboxone treatment for hydrocodone addiction. It terrifies me when I read all the horror stories of withdrawal and people being on it for years. I just have this overwhelming feeling that the closer I get to one month, which is just a few days away, that I should get off while I can or that if I wait any longer it will be impossible. I have yet to actually stay on the same dose for no more than a few days, but right now for the past few days, I've had 6-8mg/day. And that seems to be working well for now. It's kind of hard to talk to my Dr since he started me on 16mg/day which was way too much. I went down to 4mg on my own and now I wish I'd stayed there. I may be naive in asking this, but if this drug lasts in your system 3 days, why take it everyday? I am still being prescribed 16mg/day, so I have like a stockpile of it now. I was just thinking since I'm about to have a panic attack(I do have anxiety disorder), about being on this for a month, why not just stop trying to take a certain dose each day, and just take 2mg when I feel like I need it? I don't really have bad cravings for my DOC, just sometimes a little feeling that I need "something". Sorry so long, I am just seriously terrified of some of the horror stories I've read.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello jenrat79,

I am no doctor, but it sounds like you may have been trying to see what dose works best for you. I would talk to my doctor about changing the dose.

There are many stories on the www about getting oof of suboxone, you know that like the State Farm commercial about where the girl that said "you know you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true..." and here's my date, he's a French model she met on the web...etc.. Anyway I know that There is much useful info on the www, but some is good and some not so good.

I would not let myself panic, and try to not worry about getting off of suboxone. Everyone has different experiences to getting off of suboxone.

Varying the dose of suboxone could even be one reason you may be feeling a little panic. Rest assured that you doctor can tell you how to properly taper off of suboxone.

The approximate half-lfe of suboxone is about 37 hours, so it could easily take more than three days to clear your system. Some lab test are very sophisticated and if they use gc/ms analysis the drug can be detected for a very long time in urine.

According to an article by Redwood Toxicology Laboratory, 95% of suboxone is excreted from ones body in about 144 hours, or about 6 days or so. There is still keep in mind the 5% that is still there after that time frame. That is part in urine and part if feces. The concentraions are eliminated from blood plasma much faster.

I think you should take it everyday per your doctors plan. It was not designed to take when you feel like you need it, but according the prescrptions directions.

Since you have not been on suboxone about a month, perhaps you could talk to your doctor and work with him to taper off the sub and that way you will not have been on sub very long , so the taoer is done appropriately should not be very difficult.

You maight want to check out this website www.suboxone.com for additional information, also the maufacturere of suboxone has a hotline number you could call if they could help ease your mind about suboxone , it's side effects, tapering, etc..

If you have any questions I can help you with in the meantime, let me know!

Best of luck with your decisions....suboxone can be a great medicine when used properly. I am hoping you will not go back to taking hydrocodone either.

Sincerely,

boxer

Post subject: Staying positive
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for taking time to reply, that is very useful information. I try to not focus on all the negative stories, I figure a lot of those people were trying to use suboxone on their own, or got discharged from their clinic for non-compliance. I think about how nice and caring my Dr and therapist are and surely they would not let me be in agony. So, I'll try to focus on the success stories and follow my drs orders. I just started off with a bad 1st week by being on 16mg/day. The first 2-3 days I felt amazing(never taken anything stronger than hydrocodone). And at that point I didn't know much about it, I was just so happy to be feeling so great. So I kept taking the 16mg/day and each day got worse and worse because it was building up in my system and by about day 8 I was like a zombie and sleeping constantly. So I took nothing and slept for like 2 days straight. Then started back on 4mg and adjusted from there. So, I just had it stuck in my head like,"what a horrible trick, I felt so amazing for a couple days then horrible!" I should've known it could never be that easy. I will keep focus on the success stories and not all the bad. Thanks, hope you are doing well on your program.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi jen
you already got a ton of good info from Boxer.

I just wanted to add that ya know, there's a whole lot of people that probalby DO come off suboxone,
and do JUST FINE,
they just don't come on here and post about it, cuz well, it's NOT on thier mind!!!!

when your struggling, is when your going to come on here and talk about it. which is GOOD, don't get me wrong,,,
but if you look a lil harder, there are very short posts ALL OVER the place, where people come off, with no horror story
at all.

And, there's a TON of different ways to taper.
some people just CANT ,,, i think Im ONE of them, LOL
and they just jump, from a high dose, cuz truth is, for MOST, the suboxone w/d is not nearly what full blown opiate w/d is.

there's some rEALLY good information on youtube,that dr. J put out there,
alot about taperiing,and "stopping sub the right way"

I highly suggest taking a look.
CONGRATS on ONE MONTH
and I wish you the BEST of luck, no matter what you decide :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/?tab=w1&authuser=0

the link above is to his "channel" with all 19 videos

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2CQ94aXDoQ&feature=g-user-u[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hear what you're saying about the half-life thing. If it stays in your body for 3 days then why not take it every 3 days?

Some countries actually practice what they call double / triple dosing. Double dosing meaning patients take twice as much, but only dose every second day. Triple dosing is similar except for 3 days. Reason many countries tried this is because on paper it looks like it should work! Buprenorphine has such a long half life on paper, and taking more can for many people actually increase that half life ... which is unique to Sub.

But the reality of double / triple dosing was that it didn't work as well as they thought it would. Reason is that metabolism varies a lot from person to person, especially with long acting drugs like buprenorphine. People's livers are different. Some people burn through their Sub pretty quickly, others don't.

Also something that's important to note is that sure you might have some Sub still in your system after 3 days, but the amount would be a small fraction of what was in your body shortly after you dose. Most people (myself included) who tried double dosing found that once they stabilised, they'd notice cravings edge in on the 2nd day. In the end they did studies and found that treatment dropout rates were a lot higher for those who "double dosed". It's no coincidence that they don't do it anymore where I'm from.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jenrat79 wrote:
I am at the one month mark of my suboxone treatment for hydrocodone addiction. It terrifies me when I read all the horror stories of withdrawal and people being on it for years. I just have this overwhelming feeling that the closer I get to one month, which is just a few days away, that I should get off while I can or that if I wait any longer it will be impossible. I have yet to actually stay on the same dose for no more than a few days, but right now for the past few days, I've had 6-8mg/day. And that seems to be working well for now. It's kind of hard to talk to my Dr since he started me on 16mg/day which was way too much. I went down to 4mg on my own and now I wish I'd stayed there. I may be naive in asking this, but if this drug lasts in your system 3 days, why take it everyday? I am still being prescribed 16mg/day, so I have like a stockpile of it now. I was just thinking since I'm about to have a panic attack(I do have anxiety disorder), about being on this for a month, why not just stop trying to take a certain dose each day, and just take 2mg when I feel like I need it? I don't really have bad cravings for my DOC, just sometimes a little feeling that I need "something". Sorry so long, I am just seriously terrified of some of the horror stories I've read.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE MAN
take it from me been on 3 years 30 days clean i still want to die.. i cant work still, no end insight yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think suboxone is SCARY to come off, especially at a HIGH DOSE, for sure.......

but feeding people FEAR, isn't any better than telling NEW patients theres "no withdrawls"
(like the above poster was told I think)

Look, there IS w/d from suboxone, EVEN if you jump at a low dose.
theres LOTS of information here, on this site, about TAPERING, even the suboxdoc himself, does a video on how to
STOP THE RIGHT WAY
oh, yea, that's right, I posted it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

anyways,
here's another one, if you'd like more information.......

If ANYONE wants info on HOW to get to a low dose, or NEEDS encouragement to do so, JUST ASK!!!
that's why ALL OF US are here!!!

but please don't post SCARY messages, becuz your having a bad time........

Even some people that have had a horrible w/d peroid, SAY SUBOXONE SAVED THIER LIFE

"Downtime"
you WILL FEEL BETTER................YOU WILL
and you probably already know, jumping OFF at 16 mg (((posted here http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7690 )))
Wasn't the greatest "taper plan"

Im not trying to piss anyone off, at all.
NOT my intention.

I just don't want someone to NOT call a sub dr. for instance tomrow, cuz they read the ABOVE post........

thats the ONLY reason I've posted what I have,, JUST so we are clear....... :wink:

and downtime, you get a free pass, becuz you DID jump from a crazy-high dose and your going thru hell right now.
(I still hope you feel better soon, by the way!)

Okay, Im taking this opportunity to post another video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4s6MVGPocA&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i hear you amber and thank you for giving me and so many other encouragement. im not going to give my life story but i hurt my back and dr pretty much put me straight on subs. i quit in spite of my drs intention to keep me on indefinitely. all im saying is that if he is only 1 month into taking subs, he will be a heck of a lot better off quitting while he is a head. this goes for all medication but subs in particular, the longer you are on them the longer lived and the worse the wds are going to be. if he is wanting to be sober that is and is able to sustain his sobriety. of course, if remaining completely sober is out of the question then id say continue on with suboxone if its working for you (switching from one drug to another is never the answer imo) subs ARE the safer choice in many respects. sorry if i dont sugar coat it but this is a fact and i wish my doctors explained this to me before they handed me the drug instead of telling me there are no withdraws or they're so mild...

"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded"

"Build a man a fire, he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he will be warm the rest of his life."[hr][hr][hr][hr][hr]