It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I recently hit one month clean and sprained my shoulder/bone contusion. They gave me vicodin but I'm afraid to take any. I've been taking ibuprofen and icing it to help, but the pain is bad enough to make changing my kids diapers miserable. I guess my main question is how bad would the withdrawal's be if I took them as prescribed for a day or two? Any input would be appreciated, thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

NooB Bummer. I would advise u to read posts on pain control and surgery on this forum. If u decide to take the Vicodin, you would need to take a higher dose than opiate naïve people. I had surgery while on suboxone and took 20 mg of Vicodin every four hours for pain control. Did not feel high at all but pain control was good. As soon as I could I went back on suboxone and it was a relief. Did not realize it at the time, but I had a slight bit of withdrawal when on the Vicodin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the reply. I've decided not to take them just to be safe. It hurts now, but I feel getting back on pills will hurt worse in the long run. Good ole ibuprofen and ice is gonna have to work lol its not so bad day 3 after the injury, I guess my brains natural reaction to pain was to take a painkiller. After I decided I wasn't going to take them, it got easier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:49 pm 

What a great decision Noob! Isn't it amazing how the addict mind will make pain worse just to justify taking an opiate? I used to be in terrible pain from a back injury. Whenever I tried to wean down a bit my pain would double. Once I finally got off the pills and onto Suboxone the pain eventually went away. So for almost 5 years I took pills due to back pain thinking I'd be crippled for life. 90% of it was mental now that I look back.

Yes, I still have a bad spine but it's manageable. My favorite pain killer is Aleve.

Smart move and you did right. There is hope for you after all!!