It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not sure how many of us are in here. I'm not even sure whether things are the same over in the UK as they are here.

But if there are other Aussies, or Brits, or anyone else who needs to get their Suboxone from a dispensary rather than getting a monthly supply, how have you gone about travelling?

I desperately want to see the world. It's my biggest regret that I haven't yet been to Europe, or Asia, or even the US / Canada. While my fellow Gen Y's were packing their bags and partying on the Greek Islands, I was busy packing my drug paraphenalia and travelling to the local ghettos.

So now my life's back on track, I'm interested in how you can go about travelling while still on Suboxone. As far as I can tell, the only way to be able to travel more than 2 weeks, after getting a special supply from my doctor, would be to reduce off the suboxone before I get on the plane. Mind you, that has been a part of my detox plan lately (when I get around to it). Reduce off, go to detox for 10-15 days with my bags packed, then straight to the airport. Get away from my local triggers and haunts, and just open my eyes to the big wide world.

But it would still be nice to know that I could get away in the meantime, at least for a little while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tear, hello,

I live in the UK. I don't have the answers you are looking for because I am in exactly the same boat as you are.

I too have to go to the chemist every day and pick up 1 dose at a time. I always go in the evenings, but save the tablet until the morning and take it as soon as I wake up. It's naughty because I am supposed to take it at the chemist but I sneak it out. Only because i cant get to the chemist in the morning (it suits my body better to take it in the morning). And so i save the tablet and take it the following morning.

anyway got a little side tracked there.

But I too have been wondering what the bloody nora do I do if i want to go on holiday for a week or 2?? it's something that i need to ask my doctor about. They will not let me go onto every other day dosing until i have done 12 weeks clean. and i have had a set back on that front because for the first few weeks or so i kept slipping up. then after being clean of DOC for 12 weeks i think they will let me attend the chemist every other day, but i have no idea how long that will go on for before i will finally be able to have a take home script for any considerable length.

so yeah i am going to ask my doctor - i have an appointment with her tomorrow after work so i will find out and update this thread.

i will also ask about the scenario of travelling for longer than a couple of weeks and what they would do in that situation. its a bit of a bummer because i expect they may turn around and tell me i'd have to be off the subs before anything like travelling could be considered - and surely that can't be right!

so not sure if it would be the same in Aus but i will post back and let you know what they said.

X c X

Post subject: Confused
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 pm 

I don't get it. Won't your doctor give you a month's supply? I only went the 1-2 week thing in the first few weeks. After that it was a 30 day script. Now if you plan on being abroad more than three-four weeks then it would pose a problem.

When my wife and I went to Europe in '07 I brought a friggin' pharmacy with me! I was worried more about it getting stolen than in trouble for bringing my meds. No one cared a bit about my large pill bottles.

Sub would be a breeze.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule62 - that would be ideal. Unfortunately doctors are quite tied down by legislation in these countries. Suboxone is treated in a very similar way to Methadone. People need to either go to a clinic, or go to a pharmacy, to get their dose. And this dose is usually taken in front of the pharmacist.

After you've stabilised, in Aus, you can get 5 x take-aways per week. So I can go in Monday -> Tues, and get 5 take aways for the rest of the week. This is only given to people who are stabilised and being good - ie not slipping up. So I can go away interstate for a long-weekend, but overseas is pretty much counted out.

It has the positive side of there being a lot less diversion of Suboxone happening in here than the US (apparently).

Still, interested in hearing from anyone else, and Babydoll's update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi rule, hir tear,

Yeah it's pretty much like Tear said here in UK - the services are very regulated. I asked my nurse this evening about it. I asked when would i be able to have take out from the pharmacy and i basically have to do 12 weeks clean and to have built up a proper trusting relationship with my nurse. I have to see the nurse every week for 6 weeks and then after that so long as my tests are clean its every 2 weeks, until 12 weeks clean. then she will recommend to the doctor that i can pick up from the pharmacy 3 times per week. the reason they do this is to stop people selling their medication. and then if i continue to be clean she would recommend 2 times per week or 1 time per week pick ups from the pharmacy. it is strict but i think it is better that way.

i asked her about if I wanted to go on holiday for a week and again dependant on how clean and if i have been meeting all the criteria she would recommend for a prescription for the period i am on holiday.

it's such a hassle having to go to the pharmacy and be supervised whilst i take the medication but it has to be done. although i must say i can like i mentioned above in previous post i can get away with secretly not taking the tablet and then i can dose myself in the morning at home when i wake up. basically i know this is sneaky of me but i just cannot fit in going to the pharmacy before work and it doesn't suit me taking the sub in the evenings cos it keeps me awake (or so i found in the beginning). But the chemist doesn't stand over me he will normally hand it to me in its individual wrapper and by the time i have taken it out of the wrapper he has turned away so i get away with it. i'm not proud that i have to be dishonest like that but its the only option i have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

oh shikes sorry i forgot to ask her about travelling for longer than a couple of weeks. i am such a thicko! sorry x