It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Old/NewTimer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:44 pm 

Hi All,

This is so very good to find a forum that deals with Suboxone treatment. I have some concerns about the drug itself but will probably find lots of information scrolling through the messages here.

The meaning of my title for the topic is that I'm a recovering alcoholic who hasn't had a drink since '87. So that alone tells you I am the addictive type. Used to smoke and gave that one up too in '90.

When I quit drinking, I wasn't afraid of picking up a drink in those early years, it was opiates that scared me. I knew way back then how much I loved pain pills, heroin, etc. Never got addicted to heroin but came very close.

So when the time came for some minor surgery I told my doctor about my alcoholism and he said not to worry about it, just take the Vicodin as prescribed, and I did. But the vampire was awakened again and laid low until a year or two later when something else happened that required more Vicodin. Then the addict part of me slowly took over and 10 years later I found myself taking so many that my life started to fall apart. I don't think you need the exact amount, but opiates were not enough to get me high anymore. I needed Soma too. Plus I wasn't able to acquire as many as I needed for the month so Tramadol was also prescribed. In the end I was taking large amounts of Tramadol, Norco, and Soma just to even feel any effect. Looking back on it now I realize that Suboxone was my only hope of stopping this manic train ride.

That brings me here. I have had concerns about Sub from reading other posts from Addiction Survivors forum. Mostly about tapering off and side effects. But I see here that you have more information about the drug so it will take me some time to read what is necessary to ease my concerns.

The main problem I have with Sub is that it makes me very sleepy. I started out last May with three pills (24mgs). Right now I'm down to 12. But another problem arises. When I have any spare left over I end up taking an extra film. Why? Because it makes me feel better, almost high. It has that good opiate feeling of well being. So you see I'm battling my addiction still. I want to be off it, but then don't. I'm afraid of the consequences of long term treatment if it makes it harder to taper down later.

I am now going back to AA meetings. Found a really good men's stag and maybe will hit two meetings a week if all goes well. I would like to find a sponsor again. My previous one passed away.

So bottom line is this. On Sub since first of last May. On 12mgs and don't know if it is time to taper down or not. The drug makes me really sleepy, and I still suffer from the habit of wanting to change my brain waves.

Thanks for reading all of this and once again I'm very pleased to be part of this forum.

Rule62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rule62,

Welcome to the forum. You're right, there is an abundance of great information on this site and if you can't find exactly what you're looking for, just ask and you'll probably have the answer shortly.

As far as long term sub use, I used sub for three years. I started out at 16mg...stayed there for a little over 2.5 years then I tapered and quit. I'm at 7 months off sub. I'm not going to lie and say it was a walk in the park, it was opiate withdrawal! Opiate withdrawal sucks, but it wasn't horrendous, it wasn't anything compared to detoxing from a full agonist either.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I used sub long term and quit successfully when I knew I was ready. As far as I'm concerned, waiting until I was ready was the biggest key to my success. A lot of work with an addiction counselor sure helped to get me ready. He helped me get my thoughts and actions "back to normal."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:14 pm 

Thanks for the reply Romeo, I too would probably benefit from an addiction counselor but am not quite sure how to find one. The people from Here to Help were okay but being recorded was not my cup 'o tea.

My work has an EAP and they should be able to assist but you know the main reason workers don't take advantage of the EAP is because of co-workers knowing you're there. Their office is the same floor as everyone I know so it's impossible to sneak in. I'll figure it out or choose another way.

Yea, I need someone to whack me when I get to my evil thoughts! :twisted: Tomorrow I'll try to find a sponsor. And even try to find one who is familiar with opiate addiction, although we both know that isn't necessary.

Once again, thanks mucho, and I hope to be here for the long term.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome. You asked about long-term sub use and if it makes it harder to taper off. Dr. J just recently wrote about this and stated that it makes no difference when it comes to stopping sub. I believe this was in his latest blog post. It's a great post about sub withdrawal. If you're even considering stopping, you should definitely read it.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.