It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Poor old Jack, our oldest Italian Greyhound at almost 17, fell down the stairs today. He can't see much anymore, is nearly deaf, and broke a bone in the fall. Plus the prognosis is iffy after a painful period of restricted activity. So we did what we see as the compassionate thing.

One always knows this moment is coming, but it's never easy. And now there's another painful pet
memory to add to the ever growing catalogue. I've lost count of how many animals we've been privileged to love over the years, and how many we've had to put down.

For me one of the toughest recovery issues is living with bad memories, both drug use related and just regular life. . You get older, bad memories pile up. It's just the way of things. For an addict, it's even harder..

I know there are a lot of animal lovers out there who've been through the same thing.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. Maybe give some folks a chance to share experiences....

Best,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh Godfrey, my dear friend I am so sorry to hear you heartbreaking news. Sounds like a beautiful animal indeed. I have been complaining all day about the dogs tracking dirt in the house and how I am just vacuuming my life away dues to their ever piling up mess. I need to be enjoying my time with them instead of taking it for granted. I will definitely be a little more lenient and laid back today with the dogs now that I have read your post. Wish I could lift your spirits. Sorry for your loss. Your dear friend, Bama girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 pm 

Jeeezz, I hate that. So sorry Mate for the loss of a loved dog. 17 years? The oldest mine ever got was two weeks shy of 16 and same thing, we did the compassionate thing before he suffered.

I can't even think about losing the one I have now. Both my wife and I are rescue dog people and this one stole our hearts so damn fast we never saw it coming. We now know the true definition of a lap dog. Except this one pulls out all the heart string tricks to get more attention. We just spent almost $5K for spinal surgery last July and would do it again today if it happens again. Some neighbors actually said to me that they would put him down if he was theirs because he is 10. That's not old for a well kept dog! Lucky for him he found the right house to live in.

We too have a shelf with the ashes of past pets and do not look forward to adding to it.

Do you have other dogs or will you start looking for another? Life is just better with animals in the house. I'd have a cat too but my wife is allergic. After we stop travelling we'll get another fish too.

My condolences,

r

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:12 pm 

Rest in peace Jack!

Godfrey I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish I could make u feel better but I know it's impossible right now. If u need anything just let me know.

Years and years ago I had a miniature poodle named Sadee, she was 11. After I became addicted and lost my house, we moved in with my mom. She ran outside and ran into the road and a car hit her. She died instantly. Thank goodness I didn't see it happen. I've always felt so guilty because she didn't get to see me get recovery. It kills me knowing she never got to see me get right again. I've never had a real relationship with a dog since. I have 2 cats now.

An owners relationship with a dog is so special. Jack at least had a wonderful life!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:49 am 

I'm so sorry, Godfrey. It's always so hard to say goodbye to a family member. I'm positive that you made a good decision that took his suffering into consideration.

Our chihuahuas are rescue animals and it will be devastating when we have to do the same for them. There are so many doggies out there who are being put down because they don't have homes. Your dogs, including Jack, have good long lives with a family who loves them.

I get upset when people still buy from a pet store that gets their dogs from puppy mills. There are plenty of breed specific rescue organizations.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much my good friends. I'd hoped putting up a post would fetch (pun intended) some
better feelings, and it certainly has.

Rule, I'd have spent the money too. How can you say "no," even if it's a struggle. And ten....if he's a smallish lapdog especially is not old. We lost a Golden Retriever who was about 9 I think, which is a year or two earlier than average, but he got cancer. I.G's live a relatively long life. Sometimes even getting to 18. Treatments weren't as good back then for the Golden, and honestly I'm not sure we'd have put him through all that even if they were. The funny thing is, in the end it's often not a particularly conflicted decision. Painful of course, but usually pretty clear. Most times, you just know it's time. Jack was already stoned on pain meds for his leg, and then they gave him a shot to sedate him even more. He never felt a thing. An enviable way to go.

He had a long and very good life. Then he died painlessly. Not a bad epitaph. The world....nature that is....is a horrifyingly violent place....most creatures in the wild die terrible deaths. Jack was privileged and so were we. At times he was not the easiest of dogs. Italian Greyhounds are known for being unbelievable sweet, but they can also be stubborn. But of course we loved him all the more for it (most of the time :D
He was a good boy, just about never cried or whined,and always soldiered on in his sweet stubborn way. He lost a lot of weight over the last year or two, and had become pretty bony. He'd sleep in the big bed with his two mates and the two suckers (my wife and I). He wouldn't settle unless he was jammed against my body, all hard angles and bony protuberances. I suppose he just didn't feel safe otherwise

We've got the two left, rule. They knew something was up yesterday. But today they're happily oblivious.

How nice to be a dog in a good home!

Thanks again, Amy, Jennifer, Angie and Rule. I enjoyed your comforting posts very much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am terribly sorry for your loss godfrey. Our pets are part of the family, no doubt, and the joy they bring to our lives is immeasurable. My condolences to you and your wife.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 am 

Good morning Godfrey, I am so very sorry for your loss! It is the hardest decision that I have ever made! I am a cat person, have had them my entire life! There is no amount that I would not spend to save a life! I had a Himalayan who swallowed a pencil eraser that got lodged in his intestine! 3,000.00 dollars and several weeks later, he finally started to return to his old self! I trust my vet 100 percent and always go by her advice! Two years ago, we lost Alex, our amazing Ragdoll! He was a rescue but the most social cat that we have ever had! When the doorbell would ring, he would go running to the door to see who was coming to visit him! He very suddenly became ill and we learned that he had brain cancer! He was 13 years old! We now have Sebastian! He is a one yr old Ragdoll and the clown of our house! He is just filled with love and silliness! I can not imagine life without an animal in the house! I will pray that your memories of Jack are a great comfort to you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 am 

Losing thoses wonderful friends is so hard. I feel your pain Godfrey. So sorry.
They bring such love to us everyday.
We lost 15 yesr Golden Max last May. The pain is still there. Will be getting a new one very soon.
Again, very sorry for your loss man..

Razor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Will be getting a new one very soon.

It's the only cure. Always miss the old one, but the human heart has room for limitless love affairs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Godfrey,

The loving gift you gave to Jack was to be in your home all these years and to help his life end well.

Razor said 'Will be getting a new one very soon.' and you said 'It's the only cure. Always miss the old one, but the human heart has room for limitless love affairs.' You are a very good writer - needed to read that today.

I've always liked Goldens, preferably 2 at a time. Was always crushing to put them down. No dogs currently and have been thinking of an Italian Greyhound bc they are so sweet and are easily available thru rescue. I have a book on IG's - The epitome of grace and elegance. But with career, travel and am single, I don't want to leave one alone all day. I do hope that a dog is in my future tho. Best to all, P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pelican,

You've a wise heart, not to get a pooch until you're more settled. We once rented a condo in Key West which was the trip of a lifetime for us, were it not for the poor desperate 4 legged guy in the next condo who moaned all day out of loneliness for his people. They both worked all day. Can't blame them for that. But I'm not so sure they can't be blamed for the dog's suffering. We couldn't stand it anymore and I finally told the animals owners. We moved out shortly thereafter so not sure if there was a happy ending..

I kind of doubt it though...

P.S. everyone's partial to their own breed naturally, but the I.G's are the most compelling dogs we're ever had. We've only had males, which are said to be a little more sweet. And as always much individual variation, but in general they're smart as dogs come, very affectionate, loyal as loyal can be, and very, very graceful. They move like high stepping Clydesdales (like in those old Budweiser commercials...

Loved out Golden too. A big ,goofy, sloppy tongued, love machine. A very dear fellow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh I'm so sorry, I know the feeling all too well. But you did the right thing, and seventeen is great for a greyhound, a very fun long life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:09 pm 

For my birthday last yr, my fiancé got me a Siberian Husky puppy. It was white with bright blue eyes, gorgeous. But after 9 days, I realized I couldn't give this little girl the attention she needed as a puppy. I don't know how to train them and it was like having a baby again lol! I was keeping her inside and it was just to much for me. I hope someday that changes but for now I'm sticking with kitty cats :)

I ended up giving the pup to my fiancées friend who has children who wanted a puppy. My 10 yr old is a cat person too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 am 

Jenn, I have been a crazy cat lady my entire life! lol My Mom likes to tell the story about how when I was born my parents were living on the second floor of a two family home. The woman who lived downstairs had many cats. When I came home from the hospital my mom would put a blanket on the floor and lay me down on it. Of course the cats were all very curious about someone new in the house. So, they would all come upstairs to check me out! This went on for the first year of my life and I have loved cats ever since! Have never lived without at least one, at one point in my life I had eleven! My husband's limit is two and that is where we are now! Enjoy your day!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:27 am 

What a cool story Michelle!

It's weird that I wasn't a cat person most of my life because I always had this stupid idea that cats didn't have a personality like dogs do. I thought they were just grumpy and sleepy, boy I found out different thankfully.
And how I found out, with the persistence of my son, is a homeless furry black cat started coming around our yard. He wouldn't get close to us and stayed just out of reach. Finally my son would inch closer to him day by day until finally he let us pet him. So we brought him inside but he wouldn't use a litter box because he wanted outside. So we would just let him in and he'd stick around until he was ready to go out and go to the door meowing lol. That's been 6 yrs ago and he stays in all day then outside at night. He's been fixed so he had a home once, I always wonder what happened to make him homeless before. But he's mine now!!

A few months ago, same thing happened with another furry cat. Just came wondering under our porch. We brought him in and he's doing the same thing that the other does with staying in half the day but meowing at the door when he wants out. We named him Fuzzy. So I'm a cat person now, I love them so much and playing with them is awesome! My fiancé buys a toy every time we go to Walmart. They're blessings and I'd take as many that needs a home if I could.

So Michelle, I know that feeling of wanting as many cats as u can get. They each have their own personality. I'd love to raise a cat from the kitten stage, I've never gotten to do that..... but I plan on it someday! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jennifer and Michelle,

Love the cat talk too!

I had a cat named buster for about 12 years. I got him just as I was sobering up 25 years ago, and he was with me through so many hard....and very good times as well. He was very dog like, in a feline way, came instantly when called, cried for me when he heard my car (according to my girl friend at the time. He slept with me, ate with me, rode in the car with me all over the place. I even brought him to work with me He'd sleep on my desk when he was little, just under the desk lamp for warmth.

When his time came I wept my guts out right in the middle of the animal hospital waiting room. He's now buried in our back yard. Probably the best friend I ever had....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:13 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I am so sorry for your loss Godfrey. Congratulations on a 17 year old dog! You did good!

I recommend reading Racing in the Rain its a great book told from the perspective of the dog of a race car driver.

I had 5 years of sobriety under my belt when I was weakened by the deaths a 3 beloved pets. all within less than 2 years. it was more than I good handle. so be cautious of that!

I wish you well and that you'll be able to have that same bond with another animal. (I didn't notice if you answered about having other pets or getting another dog.)