It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Okay, Ill go first.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've had two surgeries while on Suboxone. I had the big toe joint on both feet replaced and a few months later, had rotator cuff surgery. The first time, (foot surgery) I was scared, big time. Doing what my doctor said, it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Both times I simply stopped taking Suboxone 24 hours prior to surgery and waited 24 hours after my last pain pill to begin taking Suboxone again.

It was interesting that my experience with pain meds now was very different than in the past. They barely took away any pain and I could not wait to stop taking them. I felt horrible until I began taking Suboxone again. My wife was amazed that the bottle was over half full of Lortabs when I stopped. Something she thought would never in a million years happen with me - left over pain pills, untouched on the medicine shelf.

I guess you can measure success any way you want because I do indeed, still take Suboxone. But my family and more importantly my wife, feel very strongly about what I have been able to do during these last six years - six years I view as a gift, years I would otherwise not have had.

Foy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

...to offer my sincerest congratulations!! I know that the junkie in me would have justified consuming the entire bottle and probably attempted an acquisition of a refill. Or perhaps that's just today's pessimism showing through. Off the subject, oops!
Truly and honestly, high five yourself once for me. Thank you for the ray of hope. It's nice to hear of someone doing well for a change.

Post subject: Hope you are well . . .
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After reading other's experiences with their doctor I am reminded that finding the right doctor (or not finding one) was the real hope that I could reliably count on. I did not fully appreciate that fact until I read some of the horror stories people have had with un-empathetic health care providers.

I truly wish the best to you.

Foy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I hate to burst your bubble Foy, but the Suboxone takes at least 3 or 4 days to get out of your system. Thats why the pain meds didn't work properly. The Sub was still working. Trust me, I've tried to take pain meds in the past, 3 days after quiting Sub and NOTHING! I'm on 3-4 mg of Sub per day now. I don't know what Dr told you that but they're wrong. The Sub made you feel better because you were in withdrawls I believe..................Kenny

Post subject: nakenny (yep, me too)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yep, Kenny is correct. I had the same experience. I had to have carpal tunnel surgery so I stopped taking the Suboxone 5 days prior to the surgery. If I would have followed my Suboxone doctor's advice of stopping just 1 day prior to surgery, I would have been in a lot of trouble! So after figuring out that most doctors don't have knowledge of this new drug I did my own research on the internet and per what I read, I stopped taking it 5 days prior. Even after 5 days, my pain meds didn't work. It felt like I had a much higher tolerance then I did prior to taking the Suboxone! I took the pain meds for 2 weeks after my surgery and the whole time they were not good enough because I felt like I needed more then my normal dose.

As soon as I got back on the Suboxone, I felt much, much better! Soooo, I have gathered from this experience that either the Suboxone takes over 3 weeks to get out of your system or that the Suboxone itself is a stronger opiate then for example Hydrocodone and consequently my tolerance has increased.

Now don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the Subocone because It has enabled me to learn to live normally in that I don't clock watch for my next dose and I don't have the ups and downs that I had when I was on the regular opiates. I however also know that when I taper off of the Subocone, I will have some withdrawel to face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, you are correct. Suboxone typically jacks up you opiate tolerance so that you need much more opiate for effective pain relief than an opiate naive patient. This is good in preventing relapses (you need a boatload of junk to feel high) but bad for finding legitimate pain relief, as most doctors are very hesitant to prescribe higher doses of a narcotic pain medication to a patient with a history of opiate abuse.