It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just found this forum today just looking around for Suboxone tapering strategies. This looks like just what people like me need. As I read a lot of the stories here, I do notice one thing missing from most of them. I think it would be helpful for posters to include in their posts, their sex, age, height, weight, overall health, and of course what they're taking, how much and for how long. People like me could then better compare their story to mine/ours.

I'm a male, 58YO, 6ft, 170 lbs, and in good overall health (well, except for this dependancy thing). I've been taking Suboxone for a couple of years and before that Methadone, and of course before that, Percocet, Vicodin, etc for probably the last 15 years. It all started with many broken bones while racing motocross. I'm an IT professional, married with no kids. Strangely, my addiction hasn't really affected my work or home life. I started tapering from 6mg/day a couple of months ago and I'm now at about .4mg or .5mg twice a day. I actually tried to jump off at that dose yesterday but after 26 hours, I realized I need to taper a bit further before I try that again. :o I think now I'm going to try DOAQ's liquid method.

Please wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome IWantOut -

First and foremost - welcome - AND - GOOD LUCK!

I think you will find the details you seek/wish were in each post as you get to know the people over time. People typically put the type of details you ask - interspersed in posts - typically inside of their story posts. There are times where it is important, and other times - where it is not.

For instance, weight and age and sex seem to have minor differences on suboxone. Some doctors claim to lurk on this site, and some people want to remain more anonymous than others. I'm also an IT professional (manager), and a father. I too was able to keep my 'dependency' under enough of control to fake my way through jobs/meetings/etc.

Suboxone is a great tool, and tapering is something I also desire over time. I don't know your story - maybe a post in the 'my story category' - but there are some, like me, that really have an opiate disease. I am more than physically dependent. I crave opiates for 'solutions (not)' to other problems, or to avoid other problems. I call it the OPIATE LIE.

It appears clear that there are some who can taper off - stop the dependency and are OK. More, though, want to be in that category (I'm included) - only to find out we have picked up some pretty bad habits during our dependency. For us, it takes a long time to feel 'normal' and change. Meetings, forums, etc. In my case, it's obvious that I am an addict.

Here's wishing you all the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:23 pm 
Hello IWO...I'm glad you found us and I hope you will join in the forum often! As you've probably already discovered, there a is wealth of information here and lots of good support from others who have walked in your shoes.
Congratulations on how far you're come in your recovery....two years on Suboxone and some time on Methadone prior to that if I read correctly. So you've had some good "stable" time to work on your recovery from all the different angles....that's awesome!
As for me, I'm in my mid-forties, female, I'm a little under average height and weight and in generally good health. I agree with Lathedude though...I don't think those statistics play in much with Suboxone, except for perhaps the overall good health part. I've been on Suboxone for 7-8 months and am currently taking around 4mg/day. I started Sub after a trial at abstinence-based recovery and I feel I'm making good progress on it, will continue taking it as long as necessary with hopes of someday tapering further and stopping. I have no set time frame for reducing or stopping and my mind is open to the fact that I may indeed need to be on Sub for the rest of my life....but we shall see!
I hope you will keep posting your experiences as you continue your taper. It sounds like it's going pretty well so far. I would love to know more about why you've decided to stop Suboxone if you don't mind sharing. And do you have a 'target' date for when you want to be done?
As far as finding out more about a particular poster....you can always do a quick search for all that member's posts and then go back and read their first few postings. Often times, they will have shared their history early on. Also look under the "intro" section and the "my addiciton story" section. As Lathedude said though...really if you hang around here a while, you'll become familiar with us pretty quickly.
Again....congrats and continued success with your taper!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't have any recommendations on tapering but wanted to at least welcome you and wish you success. Oh....and I am not giving you my height and weight :D Afterall, I was on suboxone for 2.5 years eating twinkies and cupcakes. I need a little more time before I go disclosing all that :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies. I was only suggesting including the age/height/weight info because it just didn't seem accurate to me for some 20 year old female athlete to be trying the same thing she reads from a 400 lb 65 year old man (and expecting the same results). This is the internet, no one knows who you are.

SMF - I will be happy to share with you why I am quitting Sub. I just don't want someone else, like a doctor, to be in control of my life/happiness. There are just too many possible ways I could find myself without my little pills, and I think we all know what that's like. A good example is the thread about the person who I think lost their pills or they were stolen, and they were pooping in their pants in total WD's (with all the other symptoms) trying to get an appointment with their doc and was getting the run-around. I am very active and do a lot of things and just don't want this to be a part of my life.

I don't have a specific time in mind although I would love to be off by summer. In a couple of months I have come down from 6mg/day to .8mg/day and will be starting .6 today.

I certainly know we are all different and what works for one may not work for someone else. Some folks can jump at 4, 6, 8, 10 or more and be successful. I know I can't do that!

This forum has been helpful to me so I'll definitely post back when I'm done, and during my tapering as well and see if I can possibly help someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:41 am 
Wow! Sounds like you're doing really well with your tapering so far.....under 1mg/day! That's fantastic. Sure I understand your reasons for wanting to come off Suboxone. There have been plenty of people who have been successful with tapering off when they've planned appropriately and have gotten to a stable enough place in recovery to give it a go without medication.
I do hope you'll keep posting as you get further into the taper. I'm thinking that if you allow yourself plenty of time with each of these tiny dose adjustments now that you're under 1mg, you may get through this relatively painlessly.....which would be awesome!!
I know I've said it before and others have as well, but be sure and ask yourself about what happens after you are completely off Suboxone. What plans do you have in place to keep you from going back to opiates in the weeks and months to follow? I think that part of this is more of a concern for me than even getting through withdrawals, etc. What are your thoughts on this?
Keep us updated!!

Post subject: skip a day?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congratulations on your amazing journey! You should be very proud of yourself! While I understand completely your wanting to get off of all medication... most of us do have that "want". For me (and I dont judge or project my values and thought process onto others), what I want and what I need are sometimes very different things. I made the decision to stay on my subutex long term. My habit was never that out of control, but I am very honest with myself and know damn well that even after a few weeks or months of being clean, if I came across a bottle of pills, I would take them for sure. the sub is a reassurance for me, a pharmaceutical safety net so that I can live my life and not be worried about the role opiates will play in my life. With that being said, have you tried skipping a day? mothing will happen withdrawal wise, but it will give you a taste of how it is to take nothing for a day. if you can do that for a week or two, maybe try skipping a day and a half... lengthen the time between doses to allow the habit aspect time to change. I hope this helps! have a great weekend!

MW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't have any specific plans on how to stay off once I'm done. I just know myself and know I can do it. It's like anything else, you just have to be 100% commited to it, for me at least. At 58, this is the only med I take for anything. Another reason for me is that I have been paying cash for my pills and I'm going to be retiring this year and don't want any more money going to this. I have no doubt that even if I'm at a friends house and they have opiates there, I won't take any. I consider Suboxone just another opiate so I wouldn't take that either. That brings up a question I have. If a "normal" non-opiate person takes a 2mg Suboxone, does it do anything to them?

I did try to jump at about 1mg/day and at about the 25 hr mark, I had had enough and took .4mg so I could sleep. At least one mistake I made was starting at midnight, so it was the middle of the night when I was in WD's. It probably would have been easier if it was during the day and I could have been doing something. My body/mind is incredibily sensitive to this stuff. I find it amazing what a tiny little amount can do.

I hate having to be on this and what I want more than anything in the world, is to be off of it.

I will do it!

Post subject: Just Being Honest
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW! I'm just going to be honest with you here IWantOut. I cannot tell you how many others who are addicted to opiates have said or written the exact same words that you just have. The unfortunate reality is that only a very small segment are able to achieve this goal. It just really does come down to simple statistics and those statistics clearly show that staying away from Opiates over the long term happens less than 10% of the time. Dr. Junig has written in the past that he has asked for reports from ANYONE who has stopped Suboxone and has stayed away from opiates for more than five years. The last time he wrote this, he was still waiting for a single response from someone who has been successful. Even your words are classic in how you feel you are different than all of the rest and that you will be able to stay away from drugs. Do you have any idea how many others have said the same thing? Do you have any idea how many addicts think that THEY ARE DIFFERENT? We all think that we are special and we'll be part of the 10% rather than part of the 90%

If nothing else, I can tell you that if you don't have any plans in place, it is pretty much inevitable that you will relapse. Without some form of support, counseling, meetings, a sponsor, something... it is just a matter of time until you will use again. Even your goal is of concern. I am seeing you write that your goal more than anything is to be off of Suboxone. Should not the goal be to stay free of opiates?

I know this is not what you want to hear, but please re-consider at least setting up some support for when you try to stop your Suboxone. While many people are able to transition off of Suboxone, it is staying opiate free that is the real challenge. Please read through the many threads here that deal with this topic. I am very afraid of the course you have yourself set on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:25 pm 
I agree with you donh. I have worries for you IWantOut. By no means do I wish you anything but success, and I do so hope you will beat the odds. I just feel that you are underestimating the difficulty you may run into after you're done with Suboxone. I encourage you to rethink your plans for how you'll handle your recovery after your time on Suboxone is done. I also encourage you to return here and let us know how things go for you.....hopefully you'll be back many months from now and tell us that you're doing well. And if not, we need to know that too. And I hope you know that everyone here will be there to offer support if you find that you need more help. I'm so grateful that we have Suboxone as an option.....that if we find we can't make it, or don't want to make it for whatever reason, in abstinence-based recovery, we have another choice.
So please let us know how it's going!